cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad FPS Drops In All My Games

Hasan244
Level 7
hey guys,

i have posted on many different sites about the problems i have been having, but hopefully someone could help me here.

Here re my specs :

CPU: I7 4770k 3.5 ghz
Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 5 MotherBoard
Ram: 16Gb RAM
SSD: Sandisk ultra II 960GB
HDD: WDC WD20EZRX 2TB
GPU: Asus GTX 1080 Strix
PSU: Corsair CX 750 (About 2 years old)

Basicly this all started back in october 2017, i used to have a gtx 970 and all was fine. i bought a 1080 and to months after installing it i was getting problems.

i used to run all the games fine but now have a huge fps hits even when the pc isnt loaded. a number of my games are running like crap and its so frustrating.

Thanks for reading.
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hello Hasan244

A little more information would be helpful:

1) What resolution are you gaming at ?
2) What are game settings and Nvidia Control Panel settings ?
3) How many FPS are you getting ?
4) What games are you playing ?
5) How do benchmark scores compare to your 970 ?
6) What other problems are you experiencing ?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Hasan244

A little more information would be helpful:

1) What resolution are you gaming at ?
2) What are game settings and Nvidia Control Panel settings ?
3) How many FPS are you getting ?
4) What games are you playing ?
5) How do benchmark scores compare to your 970 ?
6) What other problems are you experiencing ?

1) i play at 1920 x 1080 at 144 hz

2) i have tried multiple combos of nvidia settings and ingame settings.

3) ive lost like 40 -60 fps in each game. stuttering aswell.

4) i play league of legends, far cry 5, rust etc

5) my benchmark scores are what they should be thats why i am confused. my temps are fine and i have taken the pc to a repair shop to have it diagnosed, but nothing.

6) like mentioned before stutters and fps drops. all drivers and windows up to date, used DDU to uninstall the drivers. i have also changed my motherboard because the pc shop thought that could be the reason. bios all up to date.

Nate152
Thank you

What gets me is you say your benchmark scores are where they should be but games are not playing up to par.

Some things to try:

1) Clear cmos and try at default settings.
2) Update to the latest bios.
3) Install the latest Nvidia driver 397.93 - When doing this, I do a custom/advanced install and uncheck everything except the graphics driver, physx driver and Geforce Experience as I use Shadowplay for recording gameplay. Then check the only box that says perform a clean installation.

4) Run command prompt as an administrator and type in sfc /scannow, leave a space between c and / and press Enter.
5) Run the windows troubleshooter to see if it finds anything.
6) Try a system restore to when your pc was working properly.

If all of the above doesn't help, I might consider reinstalling windows.

rhufus
Level 8
A memory diagnostic wouldn't be a bad idea; Rolling back the drivers for your video card for a comparison might be wise also. The Windows update for Win10 just rolled out, that might be an issue.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

3D benchmarks like Futuremark suite are designed in such a way that the CPU has little impact on performance. Non synthetic workloads such as games will show other subsystem limitations better. At this stage, I would reinstall the OS as suggested above rather than troubleshooting further.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Alcasczar
Level 7
Still having an Issue OP?

Have you been monitoring GPU/CPU temps while this is happening?

I had a friend who had a similar issue and turned out the CPU cooler block was not fully seated down on his CPU IHS fully so it caused the GPU and CPU to throttle thus causing the FPS to drop.