cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios refusing to post, O4 error.

Rob_W_
Level 12
For some time I have been getting random post errors,*
These errors have become more frequent recently which started me thinking I had borked the delid, so as these errors were now at 7 out of ten attempts fail to boot, I decided to completely strip rig down ( even redo the delid) and rebuild it scrupulously careful.
Upon delidding cpu, it was a perfect spread, so noproblems there! Re applied the lm and resealed.
So, rig completely rebuilt, I power it up and exactly the same random errors, from D5, O4 test nvram, Install gpu bios *and check cpu errors,
I have flashed the bios, cleared the bios so many times, so I just continued rebooting in the hope it would settle eventually ( sometimes it does) and yes it settled on ‘04 test nvram’ *which according to the manual is “ pch initialisation before microcode loading”
O4 is now a permanent boot fail , which, at this minute I don’t have a clue how to rectify???
I think D5 is out of resources not enough space .
I have taken bottomshield off mobo but can’t find cmos batterie?
Any suggestions guys?
Thanks in advance.*
*Spec as below.*
All latest drivers and bios.*
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi Rob

Being your board is new I wouldn't suspect the cmos battery but if you want to remove it or replace it, it's hidden under the top area of the pcie armor.

The Maximus and Rampage debug codes are similar, in this thread code 04 turned out to be a bad cpu.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90614-Hero-VIII-q-code-04/page4

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi Nate thanks for getting back to me, I read the thread you linked, 🙏Ing it’s not cpu😭, delided so no warranty.
Just a few other things that had been going on , when first built I could set ram to 3600hzs ok , Xmp was ok and even able to set to 4000hzs, then about a week later started failing post and the only remedy was to post at 2100hzs from there it ran fine but I have not been able to get it to run at any other frequency.
Then again about a week later failed boot again and started getting random boot errors including detect hdd.
For 24/7 was running it at 4.4ghz *( always careful on V’s )and quite often dropping that to 4.2ghz *because of cpu package and ppo temps going too high for my liking ( high 90s) where as the cores were in the 60s ?
I will strip down to bare bones and see what happens, I have other mem, psu and gpu I can try but alas , I do not have a spare i9 7980, just praying I don’t have to write it off, still i’ll Look at that if needed.
Will let you know what happens, thanks.*

latest news.
Powered up this morning, it posted but no display, so re booted and it powered up, I loaded defaults and rebooted into windows fine.
ran realbench and took a couple of screenshots to analize. ( try and figure out whats going on.)

Nate152
Awesome, good to see all is well !

Since you were able to boot with default settings it could be unstable ram, you may need to raise the CPU System Agent voltage and CPU VCCIO voltage when setting your ram to specs.

I see you're using 64GB of 3600MHz ram, setting both the CPU System Agent voltage and CPU VCCIO voltage anywhere from 1.15v - 1.25v should get you stable.

The CPU System Agent voltage is the VCCSA in HWinfo.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Awesome, good to see all is well !
Hi Nate .
Yes booting fine, now up to 4.3ghz and stable just ran time spy, score 12643.
Tried setting ram earlier and failed to boot, reset to defaults and tried xmp = failed to boot again so I will try the vccio and vccsa settings you suggested.
Will let you know.
It certainly was a big sigh of relief when it did post!*

Hi @Nate152 a realy big thank you to you.
success, it seems I have some very tetchy ram ( bit like the other half lol) so worked on those settings you suggested,
ended up stable with
vccio 1.21v
vccsa 1.175v
timings 16. 16. 16. 36
current capability 140%
power phase control Extreme
benched and stressed all passed ok.
took an awfull lot of restarts to get there, THANK YOU!

Nate152
You're welcome Rob

yeah it's alot of trial and error tweaking those voltages and can take some time to fine tune them which it looks like you've done.

I'm glad that's all it was, nice going !