cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus or MSI

AC3OFSPADES
Level 7
So I was orginally going to get http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1753792&csid=ITD&body=QA#... but prior to me ordering I saw some comparisons between that and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152267. So I will first say that posting a "should I buy a MSI over a ASUS" post on an ASUS forum is a bit strange but I'm hoping for some honest un biased feedback.

From what I have seen the MSI does outscore the ASUS in a few Benchmark tests but only barely. I really like the look and design of the ASUS though. It just looks put together very nicely and the matte finish is a huge advantage while the MSI just (to me) plasticy and cheaply put together. The Steelseries keyboard is a selling point for the MSI but when I looked at a video of it in use, when you press down on a key the surrounding keyes also are pushed down a bit giving it a cheap feel. Now the sound, obviously the MSI has the advantage with the Dynaudio speakers. I have seen some reviews saying that they tend to go out after a few months. Another thing I have seen is that a lot of people are saying that the MSI has some terrible soldering and quite a few parts come loose because of it. Last but not least the ASUS has the bluray and the MSI does not, deal breaker. I would hope that any notebook with this kind of hardware would also have a bluray.

All in all I like the overall look of the ASUS and that it looks like a solid machine. The MSI has the "cheaply built" look to it and some of the reviews support that, however it does have a bit of an advantage with the features it has with it. The ASUS also comes with the bag and the gaming mouse which is extra money I would have spend if I went with the MSI

Here is one of the reviews I watched on both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXx6nr_jvjY&feature=related

Let me know what you think . I *hopefully plan on purchasing one by the end of the week.
You are the product of millions of years of evolution. ****ing act like it.
25 REPLIES 25

dstrakele
Level 14
I remember watching that same video shootout review after purchasing my G74SX-A1 and having buyer's remorse. The MSI has hardware RAID support, more RAM, an eSATA port, an additional USB 3.0 port, a larger battery (longer battery life), a smaller dimensional footprint, and less weight. I do like the sleek understated look of the ASUS and like you find the MSI look somewhat 'cheap'.

At the time of purchase, I had looked at some MSI systems on Amazon (but had not seen the shootout video) and I decided I just didn't know enough about MSI to be confident in the purchase. ASUS was known to me, it looked like their cooling system was well-designed, and the reviews were mostly excellent on Amazon.

From what I know now, I see both the MSI and ASUS systems attempt to offer the best specs at bargain basement prices. ASUS has the bigger market share and brand name familiarity, so it can offer less than MSI and still be competitive. Since they BOTH offer good specs at a discount price, I imagine their margins are razor thin and both companies will look to lower cost at the expense of quality control.

When I look on Notebook Review Forums at the MSI and ASUS forums, I tend to see more posts of computer issues (touchpad, keyboard, sound, video, BSOD, lockup, noises, startup failures, display defects, power pin connector breaks, RMA bad experiences) and more severe issues reported on the ASUS forum. Could this be simply because ASUS has more laptops out there? I don't know.

My suspicions are that MSI needs to somewhat out-spec the ASUS offerings to remain competitive, since they are less well known. I imagine their quality control isn't any better than ASUS, and could even be worse (resulting in the cheap appearance). Their technical support and RMA results are also probably at the same low level or worse. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if both laptops were manufactured in the same factory!

So I think "you pays yer money and you takes yer chances" with either laptop. Buy only from a reputable retailer that will allow you to exchange a defective unit immediately for a new one or give you a quick refund and try to avoid RMA of your laptop at all cost. Also be prepared to have to exchange or obtain a refund multiple times before you get a system that is initially free of issues.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
When I look on Notebook Review Forums at the MSI and ASUS forums, I tend to see more posts of computer issues (touchpad, keyboard, sound, video, BSOD, lockup, noises, startup failures, RMA bad experiences) and more severe issues reported on the ASUS forum. Could this be simply because ASUS has more laptops out there? I don't know.

See the thing for me, is that from what I have read the MSI has had more "physical" issues than ASUS. things like startup failiues, video, touchpad, and the technical issues that I've seen posted about the ASUS on this forum (MSI has its fair share as well) are less of an issue (in my mind because there is almost always a solution, workaround, or exchange) than actual pieces coming off. Which is why the more I think about it, I'll probably end up going with the g74sx, just because it looks like its a bit tougher. Things like the lower end speakers can always be fixed with some nice speakers from newegg. Speakers that break easily are more of an issue.

AC3OFSPADES wrote:
See the thing for me, is that from what I have read the MSI has had more "physical" issues than ASUS

Where did you read this? I'm just curious and interested in giving a more well-informed answer when people post the question. I haven't come across such information.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Where did you read this? I'm just curious and interested in giving a more well-informed answer when people post the question. I haven't come across such information.

The newegg reviews of this notebook is littered with them. soldering problems, parts coming loose, etc.

I also just got off the phone with the tiger direct sales and the backpack and the mouse does not come with it if it buy it through them which sucks but its still a decent price. 1399.99

panth3ra
Level 8
Q: Asus or MSI

A: ASUS

chrsplmr
Level 18
This thread is a perfect example of this forum and members @ its best. cudos one and all.

OP: Asus.
Why ? We know the issues of the G. We know the work arounds and all the tweaks.
We know the strengths. We know where improvements
are needed. We know which to look for and not. We know that in the end if there is issue,
it Will be resolved .... sometimes not timely ... sometimes not the first time.
However... Supporting the current generation of ROG products funds further research
and development for the next generation with user/Member feedback as a road map.
Buy ROG - Advance the GAME -->my2cents--> and... Welcome.
( There is a new model being released also I understand--was Asus listening ?? )
MSI ? Come on, how do you even spell that ?? c.

Boosted_R
Level 8
when I was looking it came down to MSI or ASUS....... I wanted the GT780DXR, my issue was the steel series keyboards was failing like no tomorrow ( too short of a connector, it turns out to be), and warranty wasn't as good for canadian consumers, i would have to pay for shipping. the 780 has great speakers and more features, like raid ) ect. The G74 on the other hand had a nicely designed cooling and paid shipping both ways for canadian consumers for warranty. The G74 does have its downsides..... touchpad issues, keyboard issues for some (mine is fine), no numlock, no raid 0....... It comes down to what your looking for. Had my G74 since august 2011 and no issues with hardware other than the touchpad.
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Boosted_R wrote:
when I was looking it came down to MSI or ASUS....... I wanted the GT780DXR, my issue was the steel series keyboards was failing like no tomorrow ( too short of a connector, it turns out to be), and warranty wasn't as good for canadian consumers, i would have to pay for shipping. the 780 has great speakers and more features, like raid ) ect. The G74 on the other hand had a nicely designed cooling and paid shipping both ways for canadian consumers for warranty. The G74 does have its downsides..... touchpad issues, keyboard issues for some (mine is fine), no numlock, no raid 0....... It comes down to what your looking for. Had my G74 since august 2011 and no issues with hardware other than the touchpad.

yea the keyboard seems to be a popular subject when bringing up issues. This is a direct quote from a newegg review of the MSI.

"The keyboard seems like it isn't really attached solidly to the laptop. It seems kinda flimsy. The keys make a nice, solid click and it's easy to type on, but seeing it bend in from typing softly worries me"

and thats what I mean when I say a "cheap" feel. on the vs. video i put up you can see it when the dude is banging on the keyboard, the whole thing seems to push down just from pressing a key.

evgasr2
Level 7
please dont buy asus g74 it has onboard vga, you never can upgrade graphics, in this laptop. I tell you to stick with MSI its great and no probs at all. but you can see asus problems all over several forums, im a owner of asus g73 and i still tell you to go with any other brands.
if you buy asus in few days you will be posting a thread for help., 😮