cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus AURA maxes out Core#3 on i9 7900X CPU

Killertom63
Level 7
I've got Aura linked to my mobo, RAM, LED strips, etc. I like to have it on the music reactive mode. I noticed the other day that it was using 5% of my CPU, which in my eyes is a lot on an Intel i9-7900X. When I look at the utilization per core, my 3rd core is in a constant state of being at 100%. Then when I close "LightingService.exe" via the task manager. It goes back down to around 30% usage on that single core.

This software needs some help badly. Specially if it's using this much CPU. This cannot stay unignored. And please add an auto updater.
5 REPLIES 5

freemanone
Level 7
Welcome to my world!
The RGB elements in my case:
- Z370-F
- 4x Halos Lux fan frame
- 2x Gskill addressable DRAM
- 2x ws2812b addressable LED strips with a data line splitter in sync
- The second analog 4pin RGB header is not used yet, but it's going to be the front outside, and underglow lights

So, the story is, that the LightningService.exe is crashing time to time, for me it's very crazy to the point that even the whole PC freeze sometimes. Usually it is just a small hickup, because i'm not putting much load on the CPU, so it has room for this process to do the same as with your machine.

It is really, really annoying. I got fed up with asus incapable of solving the stability of this pile of crap, so i stiched together a simple powershell script, that takes care of this thing in the background, with 1-4 sec response time when the issue happens.
So, here is what I do, to stop this nonsense from happening!

First thing is to set the execution policy on powershell.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.security/set-executionpolicy...

I don't want to go into much details about this, the website is very informative, it tells everything.

Second is to create two files on the desktop.
- aura_guard.bat
content:
powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden -file C:\Users\\Desktop\aura_guard.ps1

- aura_guard.ps1
content:

While($true)
{
$i++

$aura_pid = (get-process "LightingService").Id[0]
$cpu_cores = (Get-WMIObject Win32_ComputerSystem).NumberOfLogicalProcessors
$proc_path = ((Get-Counter "\Process(*)\ID Process").CounterSamples | ? {$_.RawValue -eq $aura_pid}).Path

$prod_percentage_cpu = [Math]::Round(((Get-Counter ($proc_path -replace "\\id process$","\% Processor Time")).CounterSamples.CookedValue) / $cpu_cores)

If ($prod_percentage_cpu -ge 20)
{Restart-Service LightingService -force}
Else
{start-sleep -seconds 1}
}

What this does, is basically, checks the LightningService.exe if it's using above 20% CPU it will force restart the service itself, then loops again and if the process is not using much CPU the script will sleep for 1 sec, then loop again. It takes sometimes up to 4 sec, but usually i don't even notice it happened.
I have an i3-8350k what is a 4 core CPU and you mentioned i9-7900X what has 10 cores / 20 threads. So from the numbers you wrote i think you need to change this one line from "If ($prod_percentage_cpu -ge 20)" this, to "-ge 4" at the end. I would not recommend much lower threshold, as i was monitoring the process with perfmon, i've seen random spikes, and the script can take that as a false positive and restart unnecessarily.
One more advice, the "aura_guard.bat" won't have access to the service by default, so either run it as admin, or set up the privilege for it.
I run it at every windows startup from task scheduler, so it is kinda like an almost zero resource monitoring and automation.

freemanone wrote:
/snip

You should have so much more praise for this and should be shared around more or even stickied if they can't fix it themselves, or maybe even add something like this to their own program.

Thank you all for the feedback, I'll check out the script. It's a same ASUS haven't said or done anything regarding it. It's embarrassing.

Sorry for the late reply, was away on vacation.

crispinrosete
Level 7
Hey buddy, do you have any idea about RANDOM FREEZING of Aura when applying any of the light effects in aura software?

I see a similar phenomena on my system. When Lighting Services first starts up , CPU use is around 0.3%. After it's been running for a day or so CPU use jumps up to around 30%. This has been going on for most of the recent versions of Aura. Your code needs some serious troubleshooting. I'm running Lighting Control 1.06.17