cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding an SSD to my Laptop

rhufus
Level 8
I have been wondering if having a platter HDD and an SSD both whether it would be better for my gaming laptop to have the OS on the platter drive and my Steam Library on the Secondary SSD drive. I realize the boot times wouldn't change but considering it's a gaming rig, wouldn't my games load faster and transition between maps faster? The boot time doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, the gaming does. Any thoughts?
17 REPLIES 17

davemon50
Level 11
There's an improvement running your games off the M.2 SSD. I run all mine off SSD.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
There's an improvement running your games off the M.2 SSD. I run all mine off SSD.

I'm actually adding a 1TB SATA3 SSD, I considered the m.2 but I needed the storage space more than the extra speed.
Samsung 860 evo

davemon50
Level 11
Yeah, small improvement I think but I have never run my games off the SATA SSD's that I have in my desktop machine, so can't comment on benchmarking those.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Yeah, small improvement I think but I have never run my games off the SATA SSD's that I have in my desktop machine, so can't comment on benchmarking those.

I thank you for your quick answer to my post Sir.

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
You want your OS on the ssd. Its not just the boot time that improves. In gaming you will only see a slight difference in loading times. Very little gaming gains going from HDD - sata3.

No offense but Its almost silly to want your OS on the HDD & games on SSD.

Weirdoutworld wrote:
You want your OS on the ssd. Its not just the boot time that improves. In gaming you will only see a slight difference in loading times. Very little gaming gains going from HDD - sata3.

Also, HDD is MUCH more likely to fail (its not an "if" its a "when". Would you rather loose your OS or game library?

Weirdoutworld wrote:

I've never had a system with an SSD yet but I would figure from a failure possibility the SSD would possibly fail before the HDD would; I've only experienced 1 HDD failure in 20 years. How would having the Games on the SSD not increase loading and map transition times even if the OS was installed on the HDD?. I understand the registry entries for the games would be on the platter drive, but the games themselves being on the SSD seems like it would work rather well. I welcome your input; If you would explain further why it would be a bad idea I would appreciate it.

rhufus wrote:
I've never had a system with an SSD yet but I would figure from a failure possibility the SSD would possibly fail before the HDD would; I've only experienced 1 HDD failure in 20 years. How would having the Games on the SSD not increase loading and map transition times even if the OS was installed on the HDD?. I understand the registry entries for the games would be on the platter drive, but the games themselves being on the SSD seems like it would work rather well. I welcome your input; If you would explain further why it would be a bad idea I would appreciate it.

I have heard rumors that SSD's fail on much use. Like you, I've never had an HDD failure, for me it's been almost 30 years, I've been computing since college.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
I have heard rumors that SSD's fail on much use. Like you, I've never had an HDD failure, for me it's been almost 30 years, I've been computing since college.

In my Theoretical setup the SSD shouldn't fail from overuse due to the constant read/write being contained to the primary (platter) drive. I'm not speaking from experience on the SSD placement issue because I've never had the pleasure of using one; which is the purpose of this thread. Might be interesting to hear from someone who has actually set it up that way to benefit from their experience. Maybe I'll be the Guinea pig on this one. 😉