cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero Wifi AC BIOS Flashback not working.

Saeva_Veritas
Level 7
Hello. I have a Maximus X Hero Wifi AC that had a bad BIOS update. When turning the board on, all I get is post code 00 and nothing else. I've tried the BIOS flashback but the light only blinks for a few seconds then turns solid. According to the manual, this means either the USB was plugged in improperly or an incorrect filename/file system. I've renamed the BIOS file to M10H.CAP like the manual says but it doesn't work. The file system of the USB is NTFS but I've tried FAT32 as well.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Is it a USB 3.0 drive? Try a different USB brand, preferably USB 2.0

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
Is it a USB 3.0 drive? Try a different USB brand, preferably USB 2.0

It is a USB 2.0 drive. I will try a different drive.

no1yak wrote:
Was the board working and you flashed the bios and now you are getting code 00. Or is this a new build. Your system specs show that you have a Maximus 8 gene. So I can assume that this is a new build. The most common problem with code 00 on Asus boards is CPU. Have you checked for any bent pins on the CPU socket? Really require more information .

You should be able to use bios flahback with no cpu installed. Just make sure that you format your USB stick to Fat32 and place the renamed bios (M10H.cap) as the only file on the stick.

The board was working then after the flash I received code 00. It is indeed a new build. Both the board and CPU are new. There are no bent pins and I have no other 8th gen. CPU to try. I have used both the drive formatted to FAT32 and NTFS with the BIOS file renamed to M10H.CAP as the only file on the drive. No luck. I'll have to try a new drive.

no1yak
Level 8
Was the board working and you flashed the bios and now you are getting code 00. Or is this a new build. Your system specs show that you have a Maximus 8 gene. So I can assume that this is a new build. The most common problem with code 00 on Asus boards is CPU. Have you checked for any bent pins on the CPU socket? Really require more information .

You should be able to use bios flahback with no cpu installed. Just make sure that you format your USB stick to Fat32 and place the renamed bios (M10H.cap) as the only file on the stick.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Unfortunately you may have to to resort to replacing the bios chip.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

cdurkinz
Level 7
Saeva_Veritas wrote:
Hello. I have a Maximus X Hero Wifi AC that had a bad BIOS update. When turning the board on, all I get is post code 00 and nothing else. I've tried the BIOS flashback but the light only blinks for a few seconds then turns solid. According to the manual, this means either the USB was plugged in improperly or an incorrect filename/file system. I've renamed the BIOS file to M10H.CAP like the manual says but it doesn't work. The file system of the USB is NTFS but I've tried FAT32 as well.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm sure this is far too late to be of any help to you OP, sorry. But I have literally the exact same problem. I figured out that you MUST use the filename M10HWIFI.CAP on the maximus X hero wifi AC board or flashback won't work. Hope this helps someone anyway.

cdurkinz wrote:
I'm sure this is far too late to be of any help to you OP, sorry. But I have literally the exact same problem. I figured out that you MUST use the filename M10HWIFI.CAP on the maximus X hero wifi AC board or flashback won't work. Hope this helps someone anyway.

Thank you for the great tip. Asus should pay more attention when they write their manuals. Also when they publish a new BIOS. 1801 is a disaster.