cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IX Formula - where to connect SilentLoop 280?

mayto
Level 7
OK guys, here we go.

I've got a Maximus IX Formula with an Intel Core i7-7700K running. This CPU is cooled by a bq SilentLoop 2890, which got a 4 pin connector for the pump and two 3 pin connectors for the 2x140mm fans.
Actual I got the pump connected as the CPU Fan running at 100% any time, and the two fans connected as SysFan3 and set only this SysFan to be controlled by the CPU temperature.

Problem: The CPU is, in my opinion, to hot. In Games like Far Cry 5 its just easy at 80°C. In other Games like PUBG its about 60°C as a maximum. I think there has to be a better way to connect pump+fans, so this is my question: Where do I Connect it properly?

Second thing: Everyone who has an i7-7700K knows about that bad temperature peaks, is there any chance to setup the water cooling properly that it wont run at full speed and stop just a second later again? This is just annoying. (Thanks Intel for your Statement "This is normal" btw :mad:

So long
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hi mayto

the i7-7700k is notorious for running hot, delidding will drop temps 10c - 20c but will void your warranty.

How I'd do it is connect the pump to the W_Pump header or AIO_pump header and connect the fans to the cpu and cpu_opt headers.

I'm using the Maximus IX Code and delidded the i7-7700k, here is Far Cry 5 with cpu temps.

Delta9K
Level 9
You might try connection the AIO pump to the AIO pump header (Pump at full speed all the time is fine) and then the two fans to CPU and CPU_opt. and then use Qfan control in the BIOS and set the RPM manually for CPU to run @ 1020 - 1050 RPM. I use corsair AIOs and have the fans set to follow the liquid temp not CPU so it does't do that ramp up and down thing. But I know that does not help you much. So, using Qfan control in the BIOS for your CPU I might set the fans to run @ 1050 RPM until the CPU temp hits say 70C and then bump the RPM up to @ 1250 and then to max @90c It may take some experimenting but you should be able to flatten out the constant ramp up and down. Another option would be to not use QFAN but install AIsuite 3 and use fan expert - with Fan expert you can apply a delay for the fans in seconds that can help keep them from ramping up and down in conjunction with adjusting your fan curve. Some folks like Fan expert and AIsuite and some don't. But it is there as an option and I have had success using it with my Fractal S36 on a system as the S36 does not allow me to control fan based on the liquid temp. Bear in mind also that the FAN rpms I noted are based off Corsair ML140's and have up to 2000 RPM. I do not know what RPM your fans run at so you may have to adjust to suit your cooling need and noise tolerance.

You did not mention what chassis your using or if your running the AIO as intake or exhaust or list any other factors like if you have a blower style GPU or not or if you have any other fans in the system for exhaust or intake.. So there could be a lot of variables left that are contributing to your thermals. Another thought is did that AIO come with pre-applied thermal paste or did you apply your self? If it was pre-applied you might consider removing the pump and cleaning off the preapplied paste from pump and CPU and re-paste using a compound like Noctua NT-H1, Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut or Arctic MX4. You might want to just try re-pasting anyway even if you applied your own. Also make sure you are getting a good mount of the pump block to the CPU. Have another look at your airflow too and if you are exhausting aka the rad is in the roof and you are pulling air from in the chassis and exhausting it out through the radiator - you might try front mounting as intake so that you are pulling in cooler air across the radiator, and then using the roof or rear fans for exhaust.
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w