Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Enthusiast Array

*update

On further testing on the above OC setting I got my first crash. The screen went totally blank when I was tesing it on actual gaming. Benchmark test passed flawlessly on 5 or 6 consecutive attempts. I guess these benchmark tests do not 100% simulate actual gaming, and benchmark scores do not actually reflect gaming performance.

As you advised, I'm taking it a few steps back to somewhere totally stable.
    Last edited by XGZiDeus; 05-31-2018 at 08:36 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

*update

On further testing, I observed a certain behavior on my GPU. I've tweaked between +3% up to +22% (on top of the default clock setting) OC on my GPU alone ( GTX 1080). When reaching +19.8% OC, performance will plateau. Going further, performance becomes inconsistent. I used a specific benchmark test from the FurMark ROG x64 edition.

@ 19.8% OC, the score and FPS is very consistent. It's stable, no symptoms of any sort, no crashes and temperature is well within desirable. Going further @ +20-22%, I begin to notice inconsistencies. Using the exact same benchmark, my scores and FPS will fluctuate reflecting the inconsistencies. Sometimes my scores and FPS will go higher than the results tested @ +19.8% (what I expected), more often it's either the same or even LESS (unexpected). Going even further, symptoms such as artifacts begin to appear and eventually crashes will happen. I stopped at +22%, although it is still a stable OC setting, its benchmark results are inconsistent. I would consider these inconsistencies symptoms of the initial stages of failing., and as you go further, more obvious symptoms will be noticeable like artifacts and eventually crashing. Worst - Burn out.

I tested this several times and based on this observation, I would come up with this conclusion about GPU OC:

When you reach the point where GPU OC will plateau (+19.8% for me), stop there. That is your best, stable and consistent performance OC setting. Going any further will only net minimum boost which may not even be consistent. You're already crossing the threshold on how far you can stress your GPU. Just because you are still able to go further (from a point where it is just starting to fail to when it actually fails) doesn't mean you have to. It's high risk with minimal gain at this point.
    Last edited by XGZiDeus; 06-04-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2