cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

knowing when you have reached the limit.

Rob_W_
Level 12
So, rig definitely up and running now.
Realbench results.
4.6ghz and temps hitting 96° on cpu package + 91° vrm, most cores lower.
that's as far as I go on the cpu, for now! time to move on to memory, I am sure that can be tweaked a bit (4000hzs?), and as for the titan v there's definitely more room to move.
then back to the cpu to include a chiller for benching :eek: just trying to get some room for it (quite large) heres rig so far
11 REPLIES 11

Korth
Level 14
I'm more comfortable with CPU running ~75C than ~95C, even if it means overclocks (and voltages) have to be bumped down a notch or two. Stuff runs more stable, more reliable, fewer faults, fewer hassles, lasts longer, doesn't turn a computer into a furnace. But to each their own, more power to you, enjoy your new toy. :cool:
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Rob_W_
Level 12
I will look at the voltages, as the cores don’t seem too bad for a benchmark run.
Pch, ppo and vrm temps do concern me though I would not run it 24/7 like that! *This is for Oc benching ( trying to be competitive) only, hence the chiller part.
So I agree with you Korth! It was a case of recognising when to stop ( before it cooks!!)*

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
90+ Degree Celsius on package is too high. You want to be keeping this below 80C where possible.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

jab383
Level 13
In competitive benching, 90+C is sometimes necessary for very short peaks of the hottest tests -- XTU, y-Cruncher and some others that use AVX. An 'everyday' load like Realbench tries to present should run under 70C, especially if it is run for hours as a stability test. Better cooling -- a chiller, dry ice or LN2 -- will let the CPU run faster at higher voltage before it reaches limiting temperatures, but the highest temperatures are still only for short times.

So, are you being competitive as on HWBOT? Joined the ROG team?

Korth
Level 14
I'm not competing, lol I back off from the limits so my overclocks are more modest. But also more stable, they can run far longer than the handful of minutes it takes to boot up to desktop and run a few quick test scores. Some sporadic stress is fine, but sustained stress will cook your parts long before they can ever reach their rated longevities.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Wiwells
Level 7
1.8v on the vcore? Am I missing something? That's crazy high

Korth
Level 14
The OP has great faith in his NZXT Kraken X62, lol.

[/Korth]

Rob_W_
Level 12
@Korth sorry if I caused a misunderstanding, the rig I'm referring to is my R6E ( as below );)
Anyway, after listening to you guys, I spent a while looking at settings and did a bit of tinkering and this is my latest run.

A bit better I think ?

Alcasczar
Level 7
I hear I9 CPU are not good for gaming , also crazy expensive too. To each his own I guess.