cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero randomly restarting

lordakito
Level 7
Hi guys, recently my computer randomly restarts when i'm playing games. I've checked the temperatures and they are all below 65ºC, and i've runned the stability tests of aida64, rog realbench and memtest86 which all of the my computer passed, Also did a clean instal of windows 10 and cleaned the pc from dust etc. Anyone has any ideia why this keeps happening?

My specs:
CPU: i7-6700k
Mobo: Maximus VIII hero
VGA: gtx 1060 6gb
PSU: Evga supernova g2 750W
11 REPLIES 11

claudej
Level 7
I guess you did take everything appart and back together to avoid weak electrical contact.
I guess you're up to date, Bios, Windows, Drivers.

I'd try another PSU.

claudej wrote:
I guess you did take everything appart and back together to avoid weak electrical contact.
I guess you're up to date, Bios, Windows, Drivers.

I'd try another PSU.

Yep i've taken everything appart, deep cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol. But it didn't fixed it.

yes my windows, drivers, and bios are all the latest version.

My fear is that i buy another psu and it still doesn't work, i was trying to narrowing down the problem to buy just the faulty hardware to replace it.

ondersma80
Level 7
Try rolling back to an older geforce driver like 391.35. when you install it do the custom clean install method.

What settings did you use for the realbench run?

ondersma80 wrote:
Try rolling back to an older geforce driver like 391.35. when you install it do the custom clean install method.

What settings did you use for the realbench run?

I've already tryed rolling back to 391.35, 390.77, 397.64. But it still didn't worked.

For realbench i've runned the full benchmark and a stress test for 1 hour. both of them didn't made my pc restart. I've also runned 3dmark firestrike and timespy, and heaven bench, also did aida64 stress test for 1 hour and memtest86. All of them my pc passed and didn't restarted.

NemesisChild wrote:
Is your system overclocked? If so return your bios settings to default.

Usually shutdown/restarts during gaming is a sign of a PSU problem while under load.

My pc was overclocked but when the restarts started i've changed it to it default bios settings and that didn't made the restarts stop.

I'm suspecious of my psu or motherboard be faulty. Cause i've already tested my cpu with intel processor diagnostic and it passed fine.

I have these readings from CPUID HWMonitor and HWiNFO64. Maybe with those someone can detect something that i'm not seeing.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Is your system overclocked? If so return your bios settings to default.

Usually shutdown/restarts during gaming is a sign of a PSU problem while under load.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

claudej
Level 7
Can't you swap PSU with a friend ? I'd swap with you 🙂

chevell65
Level 12
Random restarts for me had everything to do with using the wrong Intel MEI drivers. The ones from the Asus site were the cause of random restarts. Went to updated Station drivers for Intel MEI and problem solved. Maybe try the MEI drivers from the Intel support site. My random restarts were during CPU idle but you never know.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Is your 1060 overclocked and what games are causing the restarts?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Is your 1060 overclocked and what games are causing the restarts?

my gtx 1060 is not overclock i'm using it's default clock. I'm getting restarts when playing heroes of the storm, overwatch, world of warcraft. And not getting restarts while playing destiny 2, ghost reacon wildlands.