cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always set a Screen Saver...

Darnassus
Status Under Review
My G752 now has the google chrome search bar burned into the screen... real p!ss off to have noticed.

I always thought it was an error with my login screen, but I decided to look closer, and could see there was a familiar padlock on the left.. :f

Luckily it cannot be seen unless on very light grey.. a very specific grey I'll add that isn't seen anywhere else, especially in gaming.
10 REPLIES 10

Darnassus
Status Under Review

Korth
Level 14
ROG G752 has an LG LP173WF4-SPF1 AH-IPS panel which is used by all the major OEMs on a variety of laptops. Google shows many complaints/warnings (like yours) about AH-IPS image "burn in". Apparently once it's burned in it will gradually fade over time, but never completely.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
What kind of time frames are we looking at to avoid burning?

Weirdoutworld wrote:
What kind of time frames are we looking at to avoid burning?

Who knows?

The LG LP173WF4-SPF1 has been upgraded to -SPF2, -SPF3, -SPF4, -SPF5, and -SPF6 revisions. I don't know if burn-in issues were specifically addressed, and the newer -SPFx panel versions/iterations have of course not yet seen as many years of service, plus they've been built into fewer laptop models on the market. But google doesn't show any complaints explicitly naming -SPF3 or later parts.

I'm thinking timescales measured in days/weeks of accumulated stillframe "activity" to produce burn-in artifacts and timescales measured in weeks/months for them to gradually fade. Some users report that the burn-in doesn't fade but instead actually intensifies over time, I have no idea if this is meaningful or if it only indicates they've continued displaying their burning images unabated.

I don't think this sort of data is even analyzed in much depth by panel makers. Their next latest-and-greatest panel tech always comes out long before enough years can pass to accumulate meaningful data ... which would be meaningless data on old and "obsolete" panel tech that's already been improved.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Darnassus
Status Under Review
How annoying, Seems I need to hide my task bar, or have it on the bottom so the white toolbar shifts up and gives it a rest on that particular spot..

xeromist
Burn in has always been a flaw of IPS panels but I thought it had been mostly mitigated on newer panels. Sorry to hear that isn't the case.

I have an ancient IPS panel that burns very quickly but it does fade noticeably. So it's possible that since your newer panel takes longer to burn it might just take longer to fade.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Darnassus
Status Under Review
xeromist wrote:
Burn in has always been a flaw of IPS panels but I thought it had been mostly mitigated on newer panels. Sorry to hear that isn't the case.

I have an ancient IPS panel that burns very quickly but it does fade noticeably. So it's possible that since your newer panel takes longer to burn it might just take longer to fade.

I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W143cZTCgQ&t=2574s for the night.

Going to watch the sequel now.

Darnassus wrote:
I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W143cZTCgQ&t=2574s for the night.

Going to watch the sequel now.

such humor,
lol.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

xeromist
Riveting.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…