cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click of Death Caused 1 TB D Drive to Die

dooby2004
Level 7
Hi,

I'm new to the ROG community, even though I've had my laptop for a while now. It's an Asus ROG Strix 17.3" screen, i7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 16GB RAM. It has a 125GB C drive (SSD) and 1TB D drive (HDD). I have recently had a horrible problem, and I do know that none of the specs will help to fix this problem since there's very low chance it can be fixed. Luckily, I managed to make a backup first, but a few days ago, I heard the click of death on my laptop, and moments later, my D drive died.
I know that I'm going to have to get my PC repaired and have a new hard drive put in. I was wondering whether or not my backup would still work. I did a system backup and my guess is that it was probably stored on the C drive (with the rest of the system files). If I put in a working D drive, will the backup still work on it?.
Also, is there a way that you can fix it? I've heard of freezing it and doing other things, but are there any super safe ways to try to fix it, or are there any super cheap ways to get the data recovered. I want to know what's going on before I go somewhere to get it repaired.

If you've had any problems, know ways to help or have any extra information about this, I would be really grateful.
0 REPLIES 0