cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 JM Dead Screen after battery replacement

TimmoUK
Level 7
Hi,
First post here after doing days of searching as I need some help. I replaced the battery on my G751JM after watching various posts how to do it and put everything back together and hit the power button and I get nothing on the screen. It doesn't post and there is no HDD activity light at all. I've tried doing the reset without the battery in etc and I've tried reseating the RAM and the hard drive but no joy...I'm guessing there is something preventing it going through POST as there are no flashing lights or beeps at all. Has anyone had any similar issues or can you offer me any advice as I am sitting with a brick now....
I've hooked up the Hard drive to another laptop and have salvaged my files etc but I don't know what next to try to get the G751 working. I don't think I've damaged the cable between the motherboard and the screen and I've taken off the bezel and checked the end that connects into the screen and that looks fine.
The only thing that I may have done is disconnected the screen at the motherboard end before disconnecting the battery...Would this have fried something? I'm kind of stuck right now so desperately looking for any suggestions or advice....I had an old alienware that lasted me for 10 years and replaced with this that I've only had for 3 or maybe 4 years...
All help and suggestions appreciated thanks
10 REPLIES 10

TimmoUK
Level 7
I should also mention that the charge light comes on fine along with the light bulb light and the aeroplane light but no hdd activity light. I took the laptop apart and removed the battery and it was open on the table for 2 days with no power before I got the new battery...I doubt this would have caused an issue but I have read about the CMOS battery although that is buried under the motherboard so I haven't been there yet...

Sanctrum
Level 9
Have you tried connecting to external monitor/tv set?

Clintlgm
Level 14
TimmoUK wrote:
Hi,
First post here after doing days of searching as I need some help. I replaced the battery on my G751JM after watching various posts how to do it and put everything back together and hit the power button and I get nothing on the screen. It doesn't post and there is no HDD activity light at all. I've tried doing the reset without the battery in etc and I've tried reseating the RAM and the hard drive but no joy...I'm guessing there is something preventing it going through POST as there are no flashing lights or beeps at all. Has anyone had any similar issues or can you offer me any advice as I am sitting with a brick now....
I've hooked up the Hard drive to another laptop and have salvaged my files etc but I don't know what next to try to get the G751 working. I don't think I've damaged the cable between the motherboard and the screen and I've taken off the bezel and checked the end that connects into the screen and that looks fine.
The only thing that I may have done is disconnected the screen at the motherboard end before disconnecting the battery...Would this have fried something? I'm kind of stuck right now so desperately looking for any suggestions or advice....I had an old alienware that lasted me for 10 years and replaced with this that I've only had for 3 or maybe 4 years...
All help and suggestions appreciated thanks

Well if everything was working before you took it apart, then you have to suspect a damaged connector or cable ribbon cable where it goes through the hinge would be most suspect as I understand it very difficult to get into the correct position on reinstall. I don't think it your BIOS Battery
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the input....I have tried connecting to an external monitor but as I don't get any HDD activity light I don't think its getting far enough...All the ribbon cables seem intact and the only one that looked suspicious to me was one of the 4 that connect to the keyboard which looks like it has a serious crease in it but I don't know if that could be causing the problem or not as its only going to the keyboard?

TimmoUK wrote:
Thanks for the input....I have tried connecting to an external monitor but as I don't get any HDD activity light I don't think its getting far enough...All the ribbon cables seem intact and the only one that looked suspicious to me was one of the 4 that connect to the keyboard which looks like it has a serious crease in it but I don't know if that could be causing the problem or not as its only going to the keyboard?

Yep, a keyboard is required for your BIOS to complete hardware check to boot, it the same as not having a CPU or GPU or RAM Keyboard is required I would replace that damaged cable and hope that all that's been damaged.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I've just been looking through the assembly and disassembly pics and guides again and it appears the thin cable that I mentioned may just have an extra crease in it although I'm not 100% sure...The only other thing I notice from looking at the pics and videos is that I am not 100% sure whether I had the battery connected at any stage whilst the screen was not connected at the motherboard end? Could that have caused an issue if that was the case? I just notice that on the assembly vid I just watched the guy connects the battery after the screen and I may have done it the other way around..Could that have damaged something?

the cable I am talking about that had the crease is the narrow one on the far right in that pic...

Well I have her totally stripped down again now and the screen out and everything....Everything seems to be in place and even that little ribbon cable that looks creased is just for the side number pad i guess as the main large one looks ok...I'm wondering is something fundamental is fried on the mobo ? Would connecting the battery without having the screen hooked up damage anything? Just seems very bizarre that the fans won't even spin up let alone the hdd? Even though its getting power? What am i missing?

Dear #Timmo,

Did you solve the problem with your laptop?
I screwed up mine one yesterday the same way.
Nothing was damaged, everything looks perfect, and it wont post.
Any advise?