cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel RST 16.x UEFI pre-boot driver for Z270

McBaresark
Level 7
Hi All,
Intel recently released the 16.x series drivers for RST which includes support for Optane caching of *non-boot* drives. I've got a MAXIMUS HERO IX with 32GB Optane module that I'd love to use to accelerate the HDD that most of my apps are on. To get this working though you apparently need the UEFI RST pre-boot drivers to be 16.x series too. Does anyone know when this will be updated for the HERO IX? I assume this will be include as part of a BIOS update, right?
5 REPLIES 5

dk2463
Level 7
McBaresark wrote:
Hi All,
Intel recently released the 16.x series drivers for RST which includes support for Optane caching of *non-boot* drives. I've got a MAXIMUS HERO IX with 32GB Optane module that I'd love to use to accelerate the HDD that most of my apps are on. To get this working though you apparently need the UEFI RST pre-boot drivers to be 16.x series too. Does anyone know when this will be updated for the HERO IX? I assume this will be include as part of a BIOS update, right?

Have you checked win-raid?

kgh00007
Level 7
McBaresark wrote:
Hi All,

Hey, you should be able to get it working as long as you have the drivers installed in the OS.

I have a Z270E and bought a 32GB Optane drive to accelerate my 1TB HDD data drive of games.

You just need to jump through all of the hoops like enabling RST in the BIOS.

I am using BIOS 1302 for the Z270E and the RST Raid driver in the BIOS is ver. 15.5.0.2875. I have Optane caching working on my system!

Let me know if you can't get it working and I'll try and help!

Hi kgh00007,

Sorry for the delayed response here - I currently have Intel RST 16.0.2.1086 installed in Windows, and already have the Optane 32GB drive configured to accelerate my non-boot SATA HDD. But this setup was done a while ago, when I had an older 15.x RST installed - RST saw the Optane module as just another generic SSD drive and allowed me to configure it as an SRT cache (Smart Response Technology) just like it would if I used a 3rd-party, non-Intel SSD. Back then, when I ran the SetupRST.exe from the Optane memory page you linked the app wouldn't let me chose the non-boot HDD to use with the Optane module, so I had to manually set it up as an SRT cache in RST, which seems to work.

Now however it sounds like RST properly supports using the Optane module (though I'm unsure what functional benefit I'd have over the current manual SRT config). Which is why I upgraded RST to the current 16.x version - but then too late read that it also requires the UEFI pre-boot driver to also be 16.x (which doesn't appear to be available yet from ASUS).

Here's what my RST Performance tab shows about the SRT cache - note the part where it says that SRT is not supported in this version of RST, though it will let me keep using this SRT cache config since it was already in place when I did the upgrade. I think if I removed that SRT cache config now it wouldn't let me recreate it, which would leave me without any caching solution for the HDD since to use the Optane module "correctly" I'll also need the pre-boot driver on 16.x:

kgh00007
Level 7
I followed the instructions for SetupRST here, not SetupOptaneMemory and that worked for me.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024385/memory-and-storage.html

I also followed the instructions in my motherboard manual to enable Optane.

Make sure you backup your data, as I take no responsibility for loosing your data!