cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIII Hero, BIOS 3802: Boot Order will not allow me to select SSD(Windows System ther)

spinlock
Level 7
I searched and found lots of BOOT ORDER issues, none exact;y like this and none that I saw, had any solutions.

just built new system, 6700K, 64GBDDR4, SATA config:
Intel 5,6 - 2 TB SSDs, Windows System (mirrored by Windows)
Intel 1-4 - 8 TB disks
ASM 1,2 - 8 TB disks
everything was working fine, rebooted many times during build, SSDs always booted with no issues
Detected problem with Intel Virtualization, BIOS indicated enabled, BUT, Intel utility indicated NOT enabled.

Was told to install latest BIOS. Started Internet process to install 3802, but didn't work. After that, SSDs never showed up as candidates for BOOT ORDER. What did show up was Intel ports 1,2(they never had a system on them) and IBA GE devices (which are Intel NICs). All 10 drives are always in OVERRIDE list, BUT SSDs were never part of BOOT ORDER choices again.

Obviously, the BIOS from Internet option trashed something. Really bad design when one part of BOOT screen shows me 10 drives as OVERRIDE boot devices, BUT other part won't let me choose which one permanently.

Tried following, but nothing worked:
1) Completed 3802 install with USB stick, same symptoms afterwards. NOTE: this did resolve the Virtualization issue, now Intel utility shows everything active.
2) Disabled Intel NICs, they do in fact DISABLE, BUT, they are not replaced with anything.
3) Reset to factory defaults, same symptoms

I am going to move SSDs to Intel port 1,2, BUT, even if that works, it does not change the fact that there are at least 2 bugs in BIOS code:
A) Internet process should not destroy boot-ability. Certainly can add NICs to candidates, BUT DO NOT throw out other choices
B) BOOT Options should ALWAYs allow any bootable device detected to be placed in boot order

Please dont advise me to go back to old BIOS, not viable option since it has the Virtualization issue.
5 REPLIES 5

spinlock
Level 7
I switched the SSDs to Intel 1,2 and the HDs to 5,6 and had 2 SSDs, 2 HDs, and 2 NICs as the BOOT ORDER options.

Still convinced BIOS is buggy, but, I disabled everything but SSDs, and it boots fine now.

spinlock wrote:
Still convinced BIOS is buggy, but, I disabled everything but SSDs, and it boots fine now.

Glad you got it sorted out. This was a software issue, nothing to do with bios. The bios does however revert settings when updated, normal.

> This was a software issue, nothing to do with bios.
To me, "software" is part of the Operating System and would only be running after boot started.

"BIOS" is part of the hardware, also called firmware, and would include any and all code that runs before boot.

When you say "software", what exactly are you referring to?

claudej
Level 7
Wow, 52TB including 4TB of SSDs !
That's close to madness
(you know 14TB disks are out ?)

campb292
Level 7
I would assume based on the first post ondersma80 refers to your setup since it is all controlled by the OS. You reference 2 SSDs mirrored which would be a RAID setup (perhaps R1?). That is software raid as this board has no hardware raid and nothing seems to indicate a raid card in use. The raid setup has to be rebuilt following some bios updates.