New ROGer Array

How to improve Thermals on the New GM501GS

Hi, I was wondering, I recently got the Asus GM501, with GTX 1070 Max Q, but when I play PUBG my computer CPU temperatures goes to 96C. I'm running it at 80 fps cap at medium settings.

What do you recommend form me, because I want to game but not to harm the processor. As soon as I saw that I close the game.

Would you recommend undervolting? or something like that?

Do you thing a cooling pad will help?

Thanks for the help.

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by chuizhuiz View Post
    Hi, I was wondering, I recently got the Asus GM501, with GTX 1070 Max Q, but when I play PUBG my computer CPU temperatures goes to 96C. I'm running it at 80 fps cap at medium settings.

What do you recommend form me, because I want to game but not to harm the processor. As soon as I saw that I close the game.

Would you recommend undervolting? or something like that?

Do you thing a cooling pad will help?

Thanks for the help.
    This reviewer did UV and OC'd the GPU and got great results. (click for youtube vid)

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array ROG_HARDCORE PC Specs
    ROG_HARDCORE PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GX501VI Zephyrus
    MotherboardROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-7980XE
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4-4700MHz Trident Z RGB
    Graphics Card #1ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Platinum edition
    Graphics Card #2ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Platinum edition
    Graphics Card #3ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Platinum edition
    Graphics Card #4ROG Poseidon GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Platinum edition
    Monitor2X ASUS ROG Swift Curved PG348Q
    Storage #12TB Samsung 960 PRO
    Storage #22TB Samsung 960 PRO

First,

GM501GS use Full power GTX1070

To improve thermal, your room temperature have to improve. Keep 24C room temperature.
    And repaste the cpu and gpu may help as well

New ROGer Array

I just got mine earlier this week. I am frankly disappointed in the thermals. GPU seems to be doing well in the upper 70s on max load, but I was getting spikes up to 95 on the CPU with fans on overboost on demanding games (the witcher 3 on ultra). Ambient temperature is 24C . I don't know how to undervolt, and I'm not excited to void my warranty to repaste. What I did however, is frame cap to 60 using RivaTuner and the temps came down significantly. 70s to low 80s (Doom) and mid 80s (Witcher 3). I can live with it. I suspect this is a very common problem. I called customer support and they claim that the CPU shouldn't be much higher then 70. They want me to RMA. Sure don't want a refurbished system.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by drmcnulty View Post
    I just got mine earlier this week. I am frankly disappointed in the thermals. GPU seems to be doing well in the upper 70s on max load, but I was getting spikes up to 95 on the CPU with fans on overboost on demanding games (the witcher 3 on ultra). Ambient temperature is 24C . I don't know how to undervolt, and I'm not excited to void my warranty to repaste. What I did however, is frame cap to 60 using RivaTuner and the temps came down significantly. 70s to low 80s (Doom) and mid 80s (Witcher 3). I can live with it. I suspect this is a very common problem. I called customer support and they claim that the CPU shouldn't be much higher then 70. They want me to RMA. Sure don't want a refurbished system.

In case anyone cares, I undervolted my CPU with Throttlestop and dropped my CPU temps down to mid to upper 70s on demanding games (ex. Monster hunter world). Made a huge difference. Overall effect on game performance is minimal. My first strike score went from 14000 and change to 13000 and change. Still using stock paste. GPU is doing well. Happily have never had any trouble with the thermals.