cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent temporary loss of usb, keyboard and mouse stop, then reappear

Gypsycurse
Level 8
Hi all,

I have the Crosshair VII with a 2700x, I'm experiencing an odd problem where my USB devices disconnect whilst I'm using the system then immediately reconnect. It's maybe once every day but enough for me to want to seek out a solution. I have checked the cabling and its all new and undamaged. The PSU is a 650w gold standard and the internal devices are connected to different PSU leads. I personally suspect my NZXT USB internal hub, but I'm pretty screwed if it is that as I dont have enough USB 2.0 headers to power all the devices.

Any other suggestions, for potential culprits?
9 REPLIES 9

Delta9K
Level 9
Could be your Hub potentially but you said it was internal devices connected to it and that you were loosing keyboard/mouse etc.
I've never known this to come into play with these devices but you could check the power management settings for the USB Root Hub controllers.

Open Device Manager, easiest way in Windows 10 to do that is to right click on the Windows logo on the task bar - click Run then in the box that opens type:
devmgmt.msc, this will open device Manager. Then scroll top the bottom and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers - look for the 3 USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) entries.
Right click and select the Power Management Tab and un-tick the box the says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". You would do that for all three entries. This is a long shot as I mentioned I have never seen this be a problem for keyboard and mice etc. but it is worth a test and after a few days If it works - great. If not then I would re-enable them (re-check the boxes you unchecked).

If that doesn't work is it possible to disconnect the internal USB hub and attached devices for a day or so to see if it or whats attached to it is causing a conflict?
Do you have the NZXT hub connected to the actual USB 2.0 socketed header (USB1112) or the USB/ROG combo header (USB15)? Have you tried swapping where you have the NZXT hub connected to the board? I know you said so but I have to ask - you have the NZXT connected to power and all connections are good?

I also believe that USB15 the header that shares with the ROG EXT, only supports 1 USB port while USB 1112 the one that has an actual socket for the header support 2 ports - - That might be an issue if connecting a hub to that socket. (USB15)

That's what I got for now maybe someone else will have better ideas.

post updates I am curious to learn what you find -

Oh what BIOS are you running?
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

schweigert
Level 9
i actually had this happen to me - i think its bugs in the bios still. This its to the loosing network adapters bug.

I've had keyboard, network adapters, and fan speed sensors "disappear" until a shut down and turn on.

Gypsycurse
Level 8
Hi Delta9K & schweigert,

Thanks for your suggestions, I'd already tried the power management on USB hubs (just in case) however the info on the headers is new to me so I'll check that out.
That said I also moved my PC from being on a powerstrip to directly connecting it to the wall and so far I have not had any more instances of it. I'll follow up if it reoccurs.

Thanks

John

Gypsycurse wrote:
Hi Delta9K & schweigert,

That said I also moved my PC from being on a powerstrip to directly connecting it to the wall and so far I have not had any more instances of it.

John

Hhmm... Bad power strip with poor grounding or other failing component yes, I can see that as a potential source of interference. I know that in the past when I did not have proper shielding on some of my HAM radio gear to PC interconnect cables that when I would key down enough RF leaked into the pc and I would get keyboard and mouse lock ups and my monitors fuzzing out.

If your issues appears resolved you should consider investing in a decent power/surge strip. Leaving the PC directly connected to the wall with out any sort of surge protection long term is not a good idea. A surge from even a lighting strike or anything else coming down the mains can wreak havoc on your computer. $15 bucks for a quality surge protected strip is cheaper than a new PC or any single component inside.
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

Gypsycurse
Level 8
Hello again

Last night the PC did it again, so today I have followed your suggestion and I did actually need to swap the USB internal headers. Back to waiting to see if it occurs again. Once again thanks for the advice, duly noted about the surge protector I'll look into that too. (living in Queensland its pretty much a mandatory bit of kit).

John

Did you ever fully resolve this issue? I have just started experiencing it and I think it’s heat related... it’s summer now and I’ve just gone from a liquid cooled GPU to an air cooled GPU so my motherboard temps are considerably higher now (but certainly within a normal range)

cheddle wrote:
Did you ever fully resolve this issue? I have just started experiencing it and I think it’s heat related... it’s summer now and I’ve just gone from a liquid cooled GPU to an air cooled GPU so my motherboard temps are considerably higher now (but certainly within a normal range)

Hi Cheddle, nope never got to the bottom of it, although I have to admit I think I can attribute the USB drop outs more to Corsairs iCue software. I keep updating the iCue software, hoping the drop outs will go away. I get it perhaps once a day, for me now though it isnt impacting the audio sources so I can live with it.

Gypsycurse wrote:
Hi Cheddle, nope never got to the bottom of it, although I have to admit I think I can attribute the USB drop outs more to Corsairs iCue software. I keep updating the iCue software, hoping the drop outs will go away. I get it perhaps once a day, for me now though it isnt impacting the audio sources so I can live with it.

I have the same issue exactly. I have a Corsair mouse, so I installed the iCue software. Once I uninstalled the software, it stopped doing it. It happens with the current and previous software versions.

Jesso2k
Level 7
I'm going through the same issues starting a couple of days ago with a Crosshair VI Extreme, NZXT internal header hub and iCue... I recently had an automatic windows update so I've been blaming that but can't seem it fix it. My next step is rolling back the iCue software if it keeps going. If that doesn't work I'll take out internal header hub.

I'll report back if I figure it out, it's been very frustrating making games stutter to a halt when it happens.

Edit: I figured it out! It was Windows all along. Follow the 2nd half of this vid for the fix that worked for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJUEOjy2ZI

I had already been stopping windows from putting my usb root hubs to sleep under power management, but didn't think to adjust the HID settings.

Edit 2: Just happened again 😞