cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64bit Aura Sync SDK DLL?

CX_gamer
Level 7
Hi,

I noticed the DLL included is arcane and only uses half my computer. Any chance you guys can compile a 64 bit version as well?

I'm making a Java wrapper and to use a win32 DLL, I'll have to downgrade my SDK to 32 bit, which will hurt the performance of any software which will use this wrapper.

Thank you in advance,

CX
9 REPLIES 9

Korth
Level 14
RGB only uses 32 bits anyhow. I doubt the LEDs are capable of displaying 2^16 more intermediate RGB shades than they already do. I also doubt the RGB PWM controller has > 32-bit resolution. In fact, I'm even skeptical about whether consumer RGB hardware (outside of display panels) can even display the 2^24 or 2^32 distinct colours they proudly advertise.

Not sure where "half the computer" isn't being used ... the RGB hardware is operating exactly as it was designed to do. Unless you have a 64-bit OS which refuses to install a 32-bit driver?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

CX_gamer
Level 7
A 32-bit program has nothing to do with the color space of the LED's provided. This is simply a definition of how much bits the instructions are, how big the registers, how large the address space is for the RAM (only 4 Gb for 32-bit) and so on. Using 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer means that it still runs, but the processor is limited, making it less efficient than its 64-bit version. Therefore one should always install the 64-bit version of programs where possible.

The Aura Sync SDK uses 3 bytes for each LED, thus using 24-bits of data. This is arbitrary and they may as well have only used 8-bits or 48-bits, it is unrelated to the bus size of the processor. RGB LEDs use voltages and don't have any inherent limitations to the number of colors they can display, this is strictly limited by the specification of the component which translates these bits into voltages. For example the WS2811B standard (used by the addressable RGB header) also uses 24-bits for each LED and converts it into a 3 12V signals.

The reason I am interested in a 64-bit SDK is that I am trying to create a Java wrapper. Having a 32-bit SDK forces my JVM to run in a 32-bit environment, meaning everything this program does will be in 32-bit land. Creating a 64-bit SDK is relatively simple and not much work, but only ASUS can do it. That's why I was asking.

Korth
Level 14
I do understand 32-bit vs 64-bit.
And I understand that the RGBs themselves don't even make use of 32 bits addressing. (Unless perhaps they're RGBW?)

What I don't understand is the need for Aura x64 RGB drivers vs Aura x86 RGB drivers. They'll both run on any x64 OS. The only possible restriction is the installer, which might arbitrarily decree that you need the x64 version and simply refuse to proceed with the installation on a "wrong" OS version.

And there's always WinXP Compatibility Mode, emulation, virtualization - all the rest of that stuff. If the driver already works (automatically) then what exactly needs to be changed, and why?

Not arguing against Asus compiling a x64 version (or providing enough opensource for us to compile our own). Your need as a dev seems reasonable to me, and probably not unique. If Asus makes it unappealing (for whatever reason, in whatever way) for people to use their hardware then they'll end up selling less hardware, lol, it's only in their best interest to accommodate. All that being said - it kinda seems like your java should be able to handle it for you - and I suppose you can't assume the same for every possible platform your code might run on, except that having ASUS AURA hardware kinda narrows the list down a whole lot.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
(Unless perhaps they're RGBW?)

Nah, they use the Green Red Blue format.

I wasn't talking about some program that I must run, I was talking about the SDK DLL. There's no way for 64-bit Java to communicate with a 32-bit DLL, that's basically the problem.

Retired
Not applicable
Korth wrote:
I do understand 32-bit vs 64-bit.
And I understand that the RGBs themselves don't even make use of 32 bits addressing. (Unless perhaps they're RGBW?)

What I don't understand is the need for Aura x64 RGB drivers vs Aura x86 RGB drivers. They'll both run on any x64 OS. The only possible restriction is the installer, which might arbitrarily decree that you need the x64 version and simply refuse to proceed with the installation on a "wrong" OS version.

I expect you don't and talking about 32 colour bits when the issue is 32 vs. 64 address bits clearly shows this.

The AURA SDK should provide:

1) x32 drivers (.SYS files) that are needed for x32 Windows (present) - note x32 drivers work only on x32 windows
2) x64 drivers (.SYS files) that are needed for x64 Windows (present) - note x64 drivers work only on x64 windows
3) x32 library (.DLL files) that are needed for x32 Applications (present) - note will also work on x64, but not preinstall x64
4) x64 library (.DLL files) that are needed for x64 Applications (absent) - note will only work on x64 including preinstall x64

I too need the x64 library .DLL as I have both x32 and x64 builds. The x32 runs OK on x64 Windows most of the time, but only supports 32 CPUs whereas the x64 build supports at lest 640 CPUs and probably more.

@Asus: How do we escalate this request?

siv-ray wrote:

The AURA SDK should provide:

1) x32 drivers (.SYS files) that are needed for x32 Windows (present) - note x32 drivers work only on x32 windows
2) x64 drivers (.SYS files) that are needed for x64 Windows (present) - note x64 drivers work only on x64 windows
3) x32 library (.DLL files) that are needed for x32 Applications (present) - note will also work on x64, but not preinstall x64
4) x64 library (.DLL files) that are needed for x64 Applications (absent) - note will only work on x64 including preinstall x64

I too need the x64 library .DLL as I have both x32 and x64 builds. The x32 runs OK on x64 Windows most of the time, but only supports 32 CPUs whereas the x64 build supports at lest 640 CPUs and probably more.

PipJones wrote:
@Asus: How do we escalate this request?

they silently updated the sdk one or two weeks ago. they added a lot of things and also x86 & x64 dlls but sadly no documentation yet.

Many thanks for the update.

Hopefully SIV development can do something with it. They did great things with another vendors hardware through SIV.

@Asus: Would it be possible to provide documentation and / or put SIV development in contact with Asus development?

crashniels wrote:
they silently updated the sdk one or two weeks ago. they added a lot of things and also x86 & x64 dlls but sadly no documentation yet.

BillBittel
Level 12
Hi all,

I'll second Pip's and SIV-Ray's and CX Gamer's request for a 64-bit Aura SDK with all required components and documentation. This is the Aura SDK developers forum right? So here's hoping an Aura SDK development team member will respond. You want Aura to be widely adapted by 3rd party hardware and software engineers right? So please avail the files they need to develop 64-bit Aura control applications.

Bling Enthusiast :cool:*