ROG Enthusiast Array Quixote PC Specs
    Quixote PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VII Formula
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600 PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLT4KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX SC+ ACX 2.0+ Graphics Card with Backplate 06G-P4-4995-KR
    MonitorLG LED TV/Monitor
    Storage #1Crucial MX200 250GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
    Storage #2Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series™ H115i 280mm
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i PSU
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LED
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 64-bit
    Accessory #1 ROG Front Base Panel
    Accessory #2 NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion

M7F Split-second 00 q-code when powered up, then no q-code, no post

Hello.

I had previously written that this issue was resolved, but, of course, as with a lot of 00 q-code and start-up problems, it wasn't long before it showed up again.

I believe I might have a power supply issue, but I'm not certain.

You can see my specs under my profile name, but I have a system that I built a few years ago with an M7F board.

Currently, when I start up my system, it goes into a boot loop. It attempts to start up for a brief second, with 00 on the q-code display, and then it shuts down, doing the same thing a second or two later, repeating over and over until I cut power to the whole thing by turning off the PSU. The board's basic lights stay on throughout the boot loops (the red light's breathing effect in the center of the mobo, for example, stays constant as long as I don't cut off the PSU; the start and reset buttons also stay lit).

I have the motherboard set up on its box (outside of the case). Last night, I removed everything from it (RAM, CPU, GPU, everything) to see how it would respond with just the 24-pin power connector from the PSU plugged in and nothing else. I wanted to see if the board would do a loop, or if the PSU would cut off power, etc. It started up momentarily, showing the 00 code, and then it shut down. I tcut off the PSU power, then I started it up again, and it stayed on for a long time with just the 00 code before shutting down again. I tried this cycle a few times. It sometimes shut down without my doing anything. Sometimes it just stayed on for a good long time with no problem (still showing the 00 code because no components were plugged in). There didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the shut downs or the periods of successful power, but it didn't do the constant boot loop that it's doing with all of the components attached. I don't know if that indicates that it could be a PSU issue? Perhaps with fewer components in need of power, the PSU (if t is damaged) is a little more effective in keeping the board on? The worst case scenario for me would probably be if the board itself were the fault here, maybe the capacitors on it, etc. I don't know.

Just so you know, I've cleared the CMOS, flashed the BIOS (when it was just the mobo plugged in), etc.

I've reseated the CPU, the GPU, and the RAM multiple times.

I am going to get the PSU tested tomorrow and see if it's got issues. It's a RM1000i. I'm really hoping the PSU is the problem. I don't want to replace the mobo.

I guess my question is - does this sound like it could be a dying PSU?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Quixote; 06-17-2018 at 05:18 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array Quixote PC Specs
    Quixote PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VII Formula
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600 PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLT4KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX SC+ ACX 2.0+ Graphics Card with Backplate 06G-P4-4995-KR
    MonitorLG LED TV/Monitor
    Storage #1Crucial MX200 250GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
    Storage #2Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series™ H115i 280mm
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i PSU
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LED
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 64-bit
    Accessory #1 ROG Front Base Panel
    Accessory #2 NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion

And one more question:

If it were to be a problem with my current PSU, any thoughts on what a good replacement PSU would be? I haven't kept up with what's good lately. I could pay for a decent one.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard Maximus VII Formula
    Processor i7 4790K
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600 PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card #1 EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    Storage #1 Crucial MX200 250GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
    Storage #2 Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
    CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i 280mm
    Power Supply Corsair RM1000i PSU (Currently... possibly in need of replacement... to be continued)