cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G51JX- need BIOS recovery instructions

jruschme
Level 7
Help!

I mistakenly flashed a G51JX notebook with the bios of a G51J (no 'x'). It now powers on with no video and never boots.

Does anybody have instructions for how to prepare a BIOS recovery CD or USB and what the keystroke to enter recovery mode?

Thanks...
John
12 REPLIES 12

dstrakele
Level 14
You can remove a CMOS battery to reset an incorrectly configured BIOS, but unfortunately, ASUS does not provide a method of recovery for flashing an incorrect BIOS to G Series laptops. You'll see it is a source of contention in threads about the BIOS on this forum.

Unforunately your options are limited to 1) RMA the laptop to ASUS, where they have the tool to overwrite the BIOS with the correct version, or 2) unsolder the BIOS chip from the motherboard and replace it with a new identical BIOS chip.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I think Drew is probably right that this will require an RMA for repair. But it's worth trying every option for self-repair if you are getting ANY kind of activity when you power it on.

With a completely bricked BIOS, there are no lights, no beeps, no signs of life whatsoever. IS that the case, or does something seem to be happening, even though you see nothing on the screen?

BrodyBoy wrote:
I think Drew is probably right that this will require an RMA for repair. But it's worth trying every option for self-repair if you are getting ANY kind of activity when you power it on.

With a completely bricked BIOS, there are no lights, no beeps, no signs of life whatsoever. IS that the case, or does something seem to be happening, even though you see nothing on the screen?

Definitely not completely dead. I do get the indicator lights and a few moments of the HD and DVD lights (probably part of their startup).

Based on various bits of information I had seen on the web about BIOS recovery (Asus and other), I have also tried writing the BIOS files to both USB stick and CD and powering the system on while holding various key combinations:

Alt+F2 does nothing different
Ctrl+Home (AMIBIOS standard) actually starts flashing the indicator on the USB stick.

Before Drew's note, I thought I might be on to something with the Ctrl+Home combo and was wondering if I just needed wither a smaller stick or to rename the BIOS file differently.

JR

jruschme wrote:
Ctrl+Home (AMIBIOS standard) actually starts flashing the indicator on the USB stick.

Before Drew's note, I thought I might be on to something with the Ctrl+Home combo and was wondering if I just needed wither a smaller stick or to rename the BIOS file differently.

JR

Hey, that's promising! Signs of life!

Here are the complete steps, as I know them, for the Aptio recovery. I don't know of any G-series owners who have used it successfully, but who knows....

• Download the appropriate BIOS, and extract it
  • Rename the BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM, put it on a USB thumbdrive, insert into USB 2.0 port.
  • Wait at least 15-20 min, or reset the CMOS if at all possible. I would recommend you go to the trouble to do this, even though it's a royal PITA most of the time.
  • Power up and press CTRL + HOME
  • The BIOS may reflash from the BIOS file on the USB thumbdrive.

Alternately, with the BIOS file prepared and inserted in a USB 2.0 port, do a CMOS reset and try all the various BIOS hotkeys (DEL, ESC, F2, F4, etc.) Do a reset before each attempt. Any possible way you can access the BIOS is a possible route to being able to reflash the BIOS.

Success!

CTRL+HOME is the magic key combo. The problem is the naming of the file.

On my USB stick, I already had several copies of the correct BIOS under the names G60JXAS.BIN, G60JX.BIN, BIOS.BIN and AMIBOOT.ROM. None worked. On a hunch, I figured that maybe the problem was that it wanted to match the name to what it thought the model was (i.e., the one I wrongly flashed) instead of the correct one. So, I made two more copies: G60JAS.bin and G60J.bin.

I powered on again with CTRL+HOME. This time the system powered off right after reading the USB drive.

One more power on with CTRL+HOME and I was greeted with the screen for the "CRISIS FLASH". It went through the flashing steps and powered off. I then powered on regularly which immediately powered off. (This appears to be normal after a BIOS upgrade.) One more power on and I was back in business.

Thank you all for your help and support.

John

Oh, thanks for that! It saved me on GL502VY!

BrodyBoy wrote:
Hey, that's promising! Signs of life!

Here are the complete steps, as I know them, for the Aptio recovery. I don't know of any G-series owners who have used it successfully, but who knows....

• Download the appropriate BIOS, and extract it
  • Rename the BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM, put it on a USB thumbdrive, insert into USB 2.0 port.
  • Wait at least 15-20 min, or reset the CMOS if at all possible. I would recommend you go to the trouble to do this, even though it's a royal PITA most of the time.
  • Power up and press CTRL + HOME
  • The BIOS may reflash from the BIOS file on the USB thumbdrive.

Alternately, with the BIOS file prepared and inserted in a USB 2.0 port, do a CMOS reset and try all the various BIOS hotkeys (DEL, ESC, F2, F4, etc.) Do a reset before each attempt. Any possible way you can access the BIOS is a possible route to being able to reflash the BIOS.

drivingrain wrote:
Oh, thanks for that! It saved me on GL502VY!
Thanks! I got rid of it a few years back, but hopefully this will help someone else out. I'd steer clear of Windows 10 on these PC's. I had zero problems with it running 7 pro.

May I know what do you mean by writing to the USB and disk? Is it the same thing as copying the files over?

I'm having this issue with a X75VD Laptop. It's lighting up the USB, External HDD, etc... when I hold CTRL+HOME and press the power to turn it on. I have saved several Bios for it in an array of different names, but it is obviously not finding what it wants. This all came to be from me loading Windows 10 and then turning off CSM in the Bios and turning on Fast Boot. The next time I went to start it up.... NOTHING! It runs through, caps lock, number lock LED lights and that's it, nothing happening but the power indicator light glowing. If anyone knows what to name the Bios for a X75VD so that it will be found when Aptio recovery looks for it, please Jesus, Pay-it-Forward! I am Fugged to say the least if I can't get this thing running. Schools about to start and I ain't got no spare lappy money laying around! 😉