cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with network Ethernet rampage Vi extreme 10G port

dandan112988
Level 7
Hello all, I was wondering which Ethernet port everyone uses for their gaming purposes for their internet. The reason being is I have 300 MPS cable internet, and It was plugged into the 10G port, but I keep having connection issues with that port. I get random connection drops once in a while, and I keep getting booted off the blizzard server when I am playing overwatch sometimes. If it is plugged into the intel ethernet port, it works perfectly. No issues at all. I updated the aquantia 10G drivers to the newest from the website, driver 2.1.1.0, but it still knocks me off of over watch online randomly. It will be fine for a few hours then boom, knocked off. Seems to mostly be blizzard over watch servers. It comes back a few seconds later but its long enough that we end up losing the game with the time it takes me to log back in. Is anyone else having any issues with the 10G ethernet port/controller and connection issues?
14 REPLIES 14

G75rog
Level 10
Use your 1gb Intel ethernet port and save the 10Gb for it's intended use on a 10Gb switch, server, or NAS. You are not gaining anything by trying to use it on a 1Gb connection except irritation.

Ramalama
Level 7
Buy an intel x540 card or sth similar... The aquantia aqc107/108 is just cheap gimmick/marketing... We have some aquantia cards in our office, connected to some alcatel switches and some to unify XG switches... that aquantia card, all of them are crap, since then we are using only intel x540 or x710 over fiber... But thats on 10gbe... On 1gbe the aquantia cards was stable, just on 10g they are unuseable. The imac pro on other side, which is using the aqc107 too, is strangely stable and we dont have packet errors... But i think the imac pros aqc107 have a different firmware...

Cheers:-)

MirceaForce
Level 8
have you update the bios ? and mei ?
MB: ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME-CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto-CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Video: GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition. - G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850 w-SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB x3 -SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS-Sound Blaster Z -Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210 CASE:Cooler Master: HAF X MONITOR:IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms TV: LG OLED55C8P OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date

MirceaForce wrote:
have you update the bios ? and mei ?

I updated to 1301 bios, but with that bios I am having alot of boot issues. Boot takes 2 min, or sometimes not at all, just a black screen. I went to 1004 and it seems to be happening less frequently. So the consensious is that the 10G port is buggy and sort of crappy on this motherboard?

Ramalama
Level 7
That will not help, aquantia have its own firmware on the aqc chip itself... Bios/Mei will not help.
Maybe drivers would help, but i dont believe that too... The aqc itself is crap, we have here 5 different workstations, with 4 with build in aqc107 (1x r6e / 2x asrock fatality x299 / 1x imac pro) and one as pcie card from asus because its cheap compared to intel...

Only the imac pro we dont have packet errors at all... The pcie card is better but has still some packet loses... All others are just unuseable, with 1gbe they are all ok, but the onboard i219v is still far better, because of offloading.

So we buyed x540/x710 intel pcie cards and its working perfectly...

The x299 boards have enough slots, thats why i say, just buy an intel card and good is...

Thats not an asus fault, because asrock have exactly same issues and there are no other onboard 10gbe chips available.

If just dont have the Money for the intel card and you need 10gbe, try to cool the aqc chip somehow on the board, i dont believe that it will help, but thats the only thing along with drivers, which could help.

However, ive spend much time on the aqc crap, so dont waste your time, ive just didnt tryed to cool it.

But there is a way to flash the apple firmware on the aqc controller, ive didnt tryed too, but i can give you a link if you dont have any other option.

MirceaForce
Level 8
are you using proper cable

https://www.networkcablesonline.com/cat6a-10g-molded-utp-ethernet-network-patch-cable/
MB: ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME-CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto-CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Video: GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition. - G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850 w-SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB x3 -SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS-Sound Blaster Z -Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210 CASE:Cooler Master: HAF X MONITOR:IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms TV: LG OLED55C8P OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date

Ramalama
Level 7
We have cat.7 cables behind the walls and cat.7 fields (dunno how to say it right in english), since 2010 or 2011... And om3 fiber behind the walls with a 12x lc panel for our admin room... And of course a server room where everything goes to 2x alcatel os6900 (in a stack).
And we are using copper sfp's, which can only handle 10g... For 1g we have other copper sfp's too...

And we have some unifi/edge xG switches, mainly for selling to customers, because they are cheap. So thats why im tested that switches too.

Cheers.

CharlieH
Level 8
I did update my driver from the aqc site directly to the latest driver. My network is a 10g network/switch and I do not seem to have any issues. I have 1Gb AT&T fibre internet and run tests thru that port and don't see issues there either. I do have good airflow in my case and I water cool the VRMs and CPU. Here is the link to the aqc site: https://www.aquantia.com/driver-download/. My cables are CAT 7.

Ramalama
Level 7
Ive posted in the other thread, didnt seen you answered here:-)

However:

Your 10gbe port runs at 10gbe??? Never!!! I've tested 3 r6e and one asrock x299 fatality, they all have the aqc107 controller. No one of that boards do 10gbe without packet drops.

Which switch are you using?
And do you cool somehow the aqc chip? Thats the only thing i didnt tested.

Our Cables in the office are cat7 too...
And ive tested that driver too (2.1.005) nothing gets better...

I can retest tomorrow the 10gbe port and post statistics of the alcatel switch, of that port, thats connected to...

The connection at 10g is there, you just notice some lags in filetransfers compared to the stable 1gbe intel port or an x540 10gbe intel card for example...

However, we get huge packat errors/loses and resendings compared to zero packet errors of an intel x540 card...

Check if you have some packet drops on your switch. (Windows can show it too in the status of you 10gbe port)

Edit: Do you have a storage that is capable of 10gbe? We are using synology 3614xs+ with 2x10g in a bond as lacp, with 24x850evo (12 of them in the extension)

The main thing is, ive spend 5h in our office, to test that crap, buyed intel cards and you gonna say here, that it works for you... I hope you can understand my frustration and that i dont believe you xD