cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Z270i w/ BIOS 1205. My system is all of a sudden locking up/very high CPU usage

meller
Level 7
My system:

Windows 10 64 Bit
ASUS Z270i
i7 7700k (not overclocked due to stability issues).
ASUS GTX 1080 Ti FE
G.Skill 2x8GB 16GB 3200mhz RAM.

All drivers are completely up to date. Windows is full updated.

Ever since I installed the last bios (1205), my CPU usage shoots up to 100% when doing simply tasks (like unraring a semi small file) or when I'm installing a game.

It BSOD once during a restart as it got hung while restarting and it locks up/black screens when doing things like unraring or installing a game... or even playing some games. It is starting to cause some drivers to crash too. I've rolled back my GPU drivers and the issue continues. The only thing I can think of trying next would be to roll back my BIOS, but figured I'd post this out here first to see if anyone else started having these issues after updating.
3 REPLIES 3

chevell65
Level 12
Sometimes you need to clear cmos after a bios update to get it stable again.

ferrugia
Level 7
Agree, try clearing CMOS. I have the same motherboard and same CPU as you and upgraded to 1205 a few days ago. So far I don't notice any issues like high CPU usage for simple tasks.

cavalier666
Level 7
meller wrote:
My system:

Windows 10 64 Bit
ASUS Z270i
i7 7700k (not overclocked due to stability issues).
ASUS GTX 1080 Ti FE
G.Skill 2x8GB 16GB 3200mhz RAM.

All drivers are completely up to date. Windows is full updated.

Ever since I installed the last bios (1205), my CPU usage shoots up to 100% when doing simply tasks (like unraring a semi small file) or when I'm installing a game.

It BSOD once during a restart as it got hung while restarting and it locks up/black screens when doing things like unraring or installing a game... or even playing some games. It is starting to cause some drivers to crash too. I've rolled back my GPU drivers and the issue continues. The only thing I can think of trying next would be to roll back my BIOS, but figured I'd post this out here first to see if anyone else started having these issues after updating.

hi did the bios reset fix the issue ? or have you sorted it ?

thanks
Gamers Don't Die !! - We Respawn 😄