cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GU501GM Optimus and ROG Aura Core Issues

zoglog
Level 7
So this is for the Bestbuy model of the Zephyrus M.

I have a couple of issues since I did a clean install.

1) Does this laptop have optimus? The GPU always seems to be on. It would be nice if there was some way to enable it since this laptop doesnt have gsync. Battery life is something like 2-3 hours on battery saver which is pretty bad.

2) The Aura ROG software doesn't work. I downloaded it from the windows store but it doesn't even launch when I execute it.
17 REPLIES 17

pikapool
Level 7
I have this exact same model and have a case open with Asus requesting they provide the full, updated Aura Core download files for this specific model, GU501GM, as there is nothing related to Aura Core on their US download page. I suggest you open a case too so they know it's an issue, especially for how much this laptop costs.

I tried that Microsoft Store app as well and it doesn't work at all for me. From another user, here is a link to v1.04 which kind of works. There are only a few effects settings, the brightness control does nothing and the window lags a lot when you try to move it around.

egonzalez7579
Level 7

egonzalez7579 wrote:
Try this https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102475-ROG-AURA-Service

Wow thanks for that download! All 7 effects now show up. However, it has no effect (my keys are all red still) and pressing any buttons causes the app to lock up. Was I supposed to install all three things in your file? Either way thanks and I'm gonna mess with this more.

AacSetup.msi
AuraServiceSetup.msi
ProductDaemon.msi

egonzalez7579
Level 7
Might need to try costumize

egonzalez7579 wrote:
Might need to try costumize

I tried everything with your files and many other combinations and this did not work for my GU501GM. Pressing any of the buttons causes the Aura app to freeze.

Even after over 10 emails, Asus support does not understand when I ask them to just please provide the Aura Core software that comes new with the laptop. All they have to do is make it available on the GU501GM page. Starting to get really frustrated.

pikapool wrote:
I tried everything with your files and many other combinations and this did not work for my GU501GM. Pressing any of the buttons causes the Aura app to freeze.

Even after over 10 emails, Asus support does not understand when I ask them to just please provide the Aura Core software that comes new with the laptop. All they have to do is make it available on the GU501GM page. Starting to get really frustrated.

Im my case i have to click costumize, then select a scheme,

Other is, reset to factory, if need, you can use my uploaded images

egonzalez7579 wrote:
Im my case i have to click costumize, then select a scheme,

Other is, reset to factory, if need, you can use my uploaded images

Thanks for all your help! I don't want to reload everything and Aura Core 1.04 works well enough for me. Just to be safe though, I downloaded your images and files. Hopefully Asus steps up and just provides the Aura Core files needed as that would be the simplest solution. I don't know why they are making this so hard.

pikapool wrote:
Thanks for all your help! I don't want to reload everything and Aura Core 1.04 works well enough for me. Just to be safe though, I downloaded your images and files. Hopefully Asus steps up and just provides the Aura Core files needed as that would be the simplest solution. I don't know why they are making this so hard.

pikapool, I just installed AacSetup.msi; AuraServiceSetup.msi and it worked perfectly (GL703GE i7 8750H 8th gen). According to a post by dedynarna: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102838-about-RoG-GameVisual&p=722687#post722687 you also need ROG Aura Core Component. This is a utility available for download under a couple of GL models. GL703GE: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL703/HelpDesk_Download/ Might be worth a try?

tap002 wrote:
pikapool, I just installed AacSetup.msi; AuraServiceSetup.msi and it worked perfectly (GL703GE i7 8750H 8th gen). According to a post by dedynarna: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102838-about-RoG-GameVisual&p=722687#post722687 you also need ROG Aura Core Component. This is a utility available for download under a couple of GL models. GL703GE: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL703/HelpDesk_Download/ Might be worth a try?

that's right, it works perfectly to give a rog aura core effect, i've tried various methods, but i still have 1 unresolved problem, gamevisual rog, i still can not find answer for this app, gamevisual rog can give effect 6 color display, I wonder, why asus does not provide applications for gamevisual rogs, just give the folder that there is no contents, logically, it is not possible the application is not working, it is like a splendid application in general, gamevisual rog can be downloaded in windows store, but when opened the app does not work, it's like needing a little custom file for this app to work, if any of us can make a little tweek on gamevisual rog file, some posts also lead to gamevisual rog problem has not got definitive answer