Page 208 of 211 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208 209 210 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2102
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hodges.joseph91 View Post
    I'd recommend the latest BIOS for 5000 series CPUs. My 5600x loves it. I boost to 4.85 on single core, 4.55 on all with -15 Curve Optimizer on all cores. My USB keyboard disconnection issues disappeared as well. If it doesn't work well for you, there's a way to flash BIOS with dos & a USB to older versions.

Attaching screenshot of CPU-Z Test I just performed while writing this. Attachment 88452
    Thank you for the reply, which bios are you using exactly?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Alex0915 View Post
    Well, I run multiple 3D apps on two screens, basically what I am running right now is 16 GB (8x2) and have the 32 GB on standby in case I need it. I have a 1060 6 GB video card and both my monitors are 1280x1024 (I have a third monitor, 1080P but have it on standby in case one of my monitors goes bad (knock on wood that they don't.) I run Starry Night Pro Plus on one screen and Space Engine Pro on the other. I also run 3 browsers with lots of tabs at the same time (Chrome, Firefox and Ice Dragon) as well as OBS Studio to record movies made with Space Engine Pro. Okay so I originally had my virtual memory set to 8 GB but could not do this with all that going on at the same time....so I upped my virtual memory now it's set to 32 GB on my Nvme m.2 SSD (Samsung Evo 970) and 64 GB set to my mechanical hard drive (Toshiba 7200 rpm). Now everything seems to run smoothly and I get 30 fps on both simulations (I don't need more than that, I actually have both frame capped to 30 fps.) I guess more RAM isn't always needed and having a lot of virtual memory is almost as good? I just hope I don't put wear on my SSD hence the fixed size for virtual memory- I read that having a fixed size for virtual memory is better since the file size doesn't change.

Right now my total memory is 112 GB (16 GB RAM and 96 GB virtual) and if swap it out with the 32 GB it would be 128 GB (32 GB RAM and 96 GB virtual). Hey, if I wanted to could I use all four slots and have 8x2 in two slots and 16x2 in the other two slots, would that cause any issues? Everything is DDR4-2666 but the 8x2 is Kingston and the 16x2 is Crucial.
    If timings match or are similar enough, you might be fine, but mixing memory brands & timings has never been ideal. I would check timings & do stress tests but any way you look at it real RAM vs Virtual will always be significantly faster even with lowered timings to account for differences in timings & such.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Davemaster84 View Post
    Thank you for the reply, which bios are you using exactly?
    5843. PBO Curve Optimizer is different for each processor, and although I was stable in stress tests, in games I started crashing. (Valheim oddly enough.) I have since went to -5 all core and have no more crashes. Tbh, for the few degrees difference it makes in temps it's probably not worth messing with much unless you really like to tweak settings for the best performance.

ROG Member Array

5843. PBO Curve Optimizer is different for each processor, and although I was stable in stress tests, in games I started crashing. (Valheim oddly enough.) I have since went to -5 all core and have no more crashes. Tbh, for the few degrees difference it makes in temps it's probably not worth messing with much unless you really like to tweak settings for the best performance.
    I installed the 5843 and the issue is gone! Thanks a lot, and yeah I think I'll be messing with it, but some time in the future hehe

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Thanks for the info, it's good to know that ASUS is finally on the ball with the latest BIOS for the 5000X series CPUs-- maybe I can now install my 5950X with confidence. I figured it would be okay with air cooling because the TDP of 105W is the same as my 2700X

New ROGer Array

Thanks for the info, it's good to know that ASUS is finally on the ball with the latest BIOS for the 5000X series CPUs-- maybe I can now install my 5950X with confidence. I figured it would be okay with air cooling because the TDP of 105W is the same as my 2700X
    It definitely takes a hefty cooler, you would probably need a D15.

It definitely takes a hefty cooler, you would probably need a D15.
    Thanks, is that air cooling? What CPU would be the best one to use with, let's say, the Ryzen cooler? Since the 2700X and 5950X are both 105W TDP, shouldn't the same cooler work fine with both of them?

New ROGer Array

Thanks, is that air cooling? What CPU would be the best one to use with, let's say, the Ryzen cooler? Since the 2700X and 5950X are both 105W TDP, shouldn't the same cooler work fine with both of them?
    Unfortunately no, due to the density of cores on the 5950x. You're talking 8 cores versus 16. They don't run super hot but under a heavy load I'd even consider water cooling. Noctua NH-D15 is the biggest air cooler out right now and rivals 240mm AIOs.

Unfortunately no, due to the density of cores on the 5950x. You're talking 8 cores versus 16. They don't run super hot but under a heavy load I'd even consider water cooling. Noctua NH-D15 is the biggest air cooler out right now and rivals 240mm AIOs.
    Thanks I will look into it, I hope it fits in my case! I have a Raidmax midtower, it should fit?

New ROGer Array

Thumbs up

there's a way to flash BIOS with dos & a USB to older versions
    There is not anymore, starting from 5821 I believe.
    Thank ASUS for locking BIOS, so you either need to try to somehow downgrade it to the last version that it was possible with - 5809, or to just forget about it.

Thanks I will look into it, I hope it fits in my case! I have a Raidmax midtower, it should fit?
    Find it out yourself, because it differs depending on the model: https://www.raidmax.com/product.php?lang=en&tb=1
    Find your case and scroll down until you see "CPU Cooler support", "Maximum CPU cooler height" or just "Support" - you want to look for a CPU cooler maximum height in millimeters.

As for Noctua NH-D15: https://noctua.at/en/how-big-is-the-...hipset-coolers
    So if your RAM modules are up to 32 mm in height - the D15 will be just 165 mm tall, but if your RAM is higher than 32 mm - you will need to slide the first fan higher, so if your RAM is 40 mm tall - the first fan will be as high as at least 165 + (40 - 32) = 173 mm.
    If it doesn't fit in your PC case - you may need to find a different CPU cooler then, let's say be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 which is 163 mm in height and is also a very capable cooler, may be even more than the D15 if we believe what we see here: https://youtu.be/yW1x101pDfE

Page 208 of 211 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208 209 210 ... LastLast