Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Crosshair VI X370 Zen 3/Ryzen 4000 support

    So we've all seen the news, AMD does not REQUIRE vendors to support 4000 on older boards.

    But in practice, the 3000 series and older boards, and older CPUs with newer boards saw pretty good compatibility from the vendors.

    CH6 has 16MB rom, current bios uses 10MB.

    Will Asus provide Zen 3 support?

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array Legate PC Specs
    Legate PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 5 3600
    Memory (part number)Viper Steel 4000@3800
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID
    Storage #1Sabrent 1tb rocket nvme
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i GTX
    CasePhanteks Eclipse P400s
    Power SupplyEVGA 750w GQ
    Legate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    I doubt it very much.

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array ROGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    60

    Arrow

    Continuing to offer Backwards compatibility does not sell new motherboards unfortunately.
    Probably means I will give the 4xxx series an miss.

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)PVR416G413C9K @3800 15-15-15-30 CR1 or @3600 14-15-14-28 CR1
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    40
    Posts
    481

    New modding scene incoming .... my2cents

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    I doubt that we'll see it. AMD doesn't really want the vendors to support it as it's creating too much confusion as to what's supported and what's not when you start marrying different chipsets to the same processor. It's great for the enthusiast community who upgrades individual components periodically to keep up with the times but your average consumer upgrades everything holistically at the same time and that's what they're catering to. This is why Intel has always been bad about backwards compatibility as they want a clean upgrade path where you use this processor, you get these features. End of story. I think AMD is starting to realize there is a middle ground to be had but supporting things across what will be 4 chipsets when that series launches is going to be very difficult and stressful for retailers and consumers with varying support for features.

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)PVR416G413C9K @3800 15-15-15-30 CR1 or @3600 14-15-14-28 CR1
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    40
    Posts
    481

    Quote Originally Posted by arcanexvi View Post
    I doubt that we'll see it. AMD doesn't really want the vendors to support it as it's creating too much confusion as to what's supported and what's not when you start marrying different chipsets to the same processor. It's great for the enthusiast community who upgrades individual components periodically to keep up with the times but your average consumer upgrades everything holistically at the same time and that's what they're catering to. This is why Intel has always been bad about backwards compatibility as they want a clean upgrade path where you use this processor, you get these features. End of story. I think AMD is starting to realize there is a middle ground to be had but supporting things across what will be 4 chipsets when that series launches is going to be very difficult and stressful for retailers and consumers with varying support for features.
    The below seems more likely the reasons

    'According to AMD, this is due to the flash memory chips’ limitations that does not have enough space to support a newer set of codes. The current 400-series chipsets already have support for every Ryzen generation so far, so perhaps AMD has stretched compatibility to its maximum.'

    Source: https://klgadgetguy.com/2020/05/08/a...0-series-cpus/


    "The AM4 socket and B450 chipset are confirmed to be able to support future AMD Ryzen 4000 Desktop CPUs," the rep wrote.

    Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...et-motherboard

    Which means a New modding scene is incoming if the manufactures drop the ball. Just as happened when Intel dropped RAID support on older chipsets saying it would not fit newer raid bios, yet still people found a way.
    Last edited by RedSector73; 05-12-2020 at 01:04 AM.

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array ROGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    60

    There is at least one X570 board that I know of which only has an 16Mb BIOS chip.
    It will be interesting to see if they manage to cram Zen 2 and 3 CPU support in without branching.
    Last edited by ROGod; 05-13-2020 at 07:28 PM.

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    As of a few minutes ago, AMD just backtracked and will be providing beta AGESA support for 400 series mobos. Actual bios development will be up to vendors and the upgrade will be one-way with AMD verifying that you already have a Zen 3 processor ON HAND before allowing you to download the new bios. Thew new bios will NOT support older (zen 1-zen2) processors.

    Seeing that Zen 1 and Zen 1+ were so technically similar, and that the new bios will already be segmented, it's kind of a bummer that the support was only given to 400 series.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by ROGod View Post
    Continuing to offer Backwards compatibility does not sell new motherboards unfortunately.
    Probably means I will give the 4xxx series an miss.
    At this point, AMD will be switching sockets to AM5, probably next year. If Asus provides support for first gen motherboard owners to the new generation, then those who are skipping Zen3(desktop Ryzen 4000 CPU series) will be more inclined to go with the next ROG Crosshair motherboard in their next build. I did the jump from the 1800X to the 3900X on my Crosshair VI Hero, and I've been encouraging customers to go with the Crosshair VII and VIII Hero boards for their new builds due to how happy I have been.

    So, make ME happy, and that will result in dozens of additional motherboard sales, and in 2021 or 2022, chances are that I'd be going with a new motherboard with the new CPU. I may not be the source of hundreds of sales, but I personally have done at least 20 custom Ryzen builds over the past three years using this series of motherboards.

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by Firedrops View Post
    As of a few minutes ago, AMD just backtracked and will be providing beta AGESA support for 400 series mobos. Actual bios development will be up to vendors and the upgrade will be one-way with AMD verifying that you already have a Zen 3 processor ON HAND before allowing you to download the new bios. Thew new bios will NOT support older (zen 1-zen2) processors.

    Seeing that Zen 1 and Zen 1+ were so technically similar, and that the new bios will already be segmented, it's kind of a bummer that the support was only given to 400 series.
    With BIOS flashback support, it's strange that they would be all that worried about it. Make the new BIOS version available for flashback only, and that will limit it to those who actually know what they are doing, and probably with the ability to switch back if things go wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •