Page 192 of 195 FirstFirst ... 92 142 182 190 191 192 193 194 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 1948
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by cantaloupe View Post
    Things don't look good. Originally AMD/Asus has no plan to get 5000 cpus working on X470 boards. Then AMD bowed to blowback. There will be a bios update but it will be a beta and its not coming until after Christmas. No doubt it will be perfunctory, CYA update to look good. It will work like garbage, and there will be no further update imo.
    What a shame. They charge you Hundreds for these boards then forget about you as soon as next year's model of that same board comes out.

ROG Enthusiast Array

My personal opinion for the X470/Ryzen 5000 series support is that an untested beta BIOS given to users of X470 boards should not be an option for the end user.
    There are already a lot of reported unsolved (serious and dangerous) issues from 2+ years ago that make the X470 platform of Asus products not easily stable, thus not a good base to start building a "Ryzen 5000" tier PC.
    The purchase cost of a X470 tier motherboard should not make the end user a beta tester. It should give him a stable, secure base to start with.
    Also, never before a old motherboard that "beta-ish" supported a new CPU was stable enough to use it without any issues.
    To sum up, Ryzen 5000 series seems to manifest a new level of performance. It deserves a new motherboard that supports all its features out-of-the-box without any hick-ups and beta BIOS.
    Don't know if Asus can delivery this, though...

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by timiman View Post
    My personal opinion for the X470/Ryzen 5000 series support is that an untested beta BIOS given to users of X470 boards should not be an option for the end user.
    There are already a lot of reported unsolved (serious and dangerous) issues from 2+ years ago that make the X470 platform of Asus products not easily stable, thus not a good base to start building a "Ryzen 5000" tier PC.
    The purchase cost of a X470 tier motherboard should not make the end user a beta tester. It should give him a stable, secure base to start with.
    Also, never before a old motherboard that "beta-ish" supported a new CPU was stable enough to use it without any issues.
    To sum up, Ryzen 5000 series seems to manifest a new level of performance. It deserves a new motherboard that supports all its features out-of-the-box without any hick-ups and beta BIOS.
    I'm curious about something, why was there never a Ryzen 4000 series?

edit: looks like there will be and it will support X470

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15807...0-motherboards
    Last edited by Alex0915; 10-22-2020 at 02:26 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Alex0915 View Post
    I'm curious about something, why was there never a Ryzen 4000 series?

edit: looks like there will be and it will support X470

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15807...0-motherboards
    No, this information existed before AMD officially announced the "5000" naming scheme 2 weeks ago.
    Desktop 4000 scheme (Zen 3) was skipped to avoid conflict with already existed Mobile 4000 (Zen 2) naming scheme.

No, this information existed before AMD officially announced the "5000" naming scheme 2 weeks ago.
    Desktop 4000 scheme (Zen 3) was skipped to avoid conflict with already existed Mobile 4000 (Zen 2) naming scheme.
    Thanks, I also find it confusing how they name Zen architecture. Why couldn't it have been Zen 1 = 1xxx series, Zen 2 = 2xxx series, Zen 3 = 3xxx series, Zen 5 = 5xxx series, etc. (and make the mobile chipset Zen 4 = 4xxx series)?

I guess we'll find out soon enough how well the mobos handle the new chips. Is the memory limit still going to be 64 GB total even with new bios coming out for these chips on this board?

New ROGer Array

Very interesting, I didn't know it. What is your source? Could you please link it?
    Thanks

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by nekhrun View Post
    Very interesting, I didn't know it. What is your source? Could you please link it?
    Thanks
    As I've said, this is my personal opinion, based on my experience with the Strix X470-F Gaming.
    You can search this forum and find some of them.
    I've stumble upon 2 major issues during the last 2 years with this mobo, having testing all the BIOS revisions that were published.
    a. major fan issue, when randomly all fans connected to mobo, not following fan settings set on BIOS and either turning on full speed or stop turning at all !
    b. after WoL wake-up CPU not throttling down and/or unable to complete a full power on/off cycle without power down system from case's button
    c. mobo exposure different sensors in every published BIOS version, so missing some -like PCH Temp- every other BIOS version

Fan issue was not present only in BIOS 4804 -which I'm using now, but has issue b.
    All issues have been reported to Asus support without any viral solution provided.
    And I have to say that "RMA the mobo" is not a solution, when each BIOS version is randomly changing the mobo stability.

Closing, I have to say -again- that "Ryzen 5000" needs a stable, 100% "Ryzen 5000"-goodies supported mobo to start with.
    I'm using Asus motherboards almost 20 years (I'm respecting my A7V), but I doubt that Asus can deliver that, judging the last 2 years.

New ROGer Array

As I've said, this is my personal opinion, based on my experience with the Strix X470-F Gaming.
    You can search this forum and find some of them.
    I've stumble upon 2 major issues during the last 2 years with this mobo, having testing all the BIOS revisions that were published.
    a. major fan issue, when randomly all fans connected to mobo, not following fan settings set on BIOS and either turning on full speed or stop turning at all !
    b. after WoL wake-up CPU not throttling down and/or unable to complete a full power on/off cycle without power down system from case's button
    c. mobo exposure different sensors in every published BIOS version, so missing some -like PCH Temp- every other BIOS version

Fan issue was not present only in BIOS 4804 -which I'm using now, but has issue b.
    All issues have been reported to Asus support without any viral solution provided.
    And I have to say that "RMA the mobo" is not a solution, when each BIOS version is randomly changing the mobo stability.

Closing, I have to say -again- that "Ryzen 5000" needs a stable, 100% "Ryzen 5000"-goodies supported mobo to start with.
    I'm using Asus motherboards almost 20 years (I'm respecting my A7V), but I doubt that Asus can deliver that, judging the last 2 years.
    First af all, thank you for your reply, I understand much better now.
    I own a X470-F too.

For (a) I have a similar issue, but in my case just the cha_fan1 stops working at all. it occurs only with cha_fan1 and only when I use the sleep function in windows 10 (randomly) or when I set the cha_fan1 fan curve manually from Bios, but if I use the default presets it didn't occur. I discovered this problem later and I admit that made me crazy.

For (b) and (c) I never hadn't any other issues, I always see all the temps of the sensors in bios (and in hwinfo). I don't use WoL, for now.

For the Zen 3 processors support for X470/B450, I can say that I never like "Beta" things. Instead relately at the X470-F, I think that It would be a good motherboard for VRMs and electrical part, or am I wrong?
    Anyway, I agree with you when you say that the Ryzen 5000 cpus need stable and supported motherboards. Definitely.

New ROGer Array

Thumbs up

Version 5806 Beta Version
    2020/11/24 14.51 MBytes
    ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING BIOS 5806

1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.8.0 for new CPU support
    2. It's highly recommended not to update this beta BIOS when using AMD AM4 Socket for AMD Ryzen 3000 Series/ 2000 Series/ 1000 Series/ A-Series Desktop Processors.
    3. This beta BIOS can't be reversed.

So, in other words AMD is trying to make us buy a new motherboard although we already have one with the same socket.
    How so? Because it's a BETA, read what a beta means - a manufacturer does not guarantee anything will work 100% correctly, and since it will always be a BETA - no one guarantees the issues you will find will ever be solved.
    Cool, isn't it? Go buy a new motherboard just to install a Zen 3 processor, and when they release a new series - you will need to buy another new motherboard to install it.
    Last edited by Long_Y0!; 11-24-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Page 192 of 195 FirstFirst ... 92 142 182 190 191 192 193 194 ... LastLast