Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by cgmjr View Post
    My IBT results are in. Mostly positive.

I followed @AniChatt's instructions, and did a few extra runs. Reset all bios options to auto and then:

Run #1: Failed after 7 runs of IBT. Only HWInfo running, but "turn off monitor" was set to 15 min. I disabled that, and did not start HWInfo, yielding:
    Run #2: Passed 30 runs. Applied D.O.C.P. and tried again, no HWInfo, giving:
    Run #3: Passed 30 runs. I started HWInfo and tested again, resulting in:
    Run #4: Failed after 12 runs. Screen was on, I could move the mouse, but IBT, HWInfo and then all windows went unresponsive. I rebooted, started NZXT CAM:
    Run #5: Passed 15 of 15 runs.

I surmise that my issue is monitoring software sensor collisions. My previous, unpredictable lockups were due to MSI Gaming App running in the background while HWInfo, Ryzen Master, and CAM were trying to access the sensors at various times.

Next step: run no monitoring software and play some ARK and WoW. See how it does. Then fire up one monitor and see how THAT does.

Next question: What is the real advantage of overclocking these rigs at all? Left on all-auto I've seen some cores running a 4.4ghz for short periods of time. What's wrong with leaving it alone?

-cgmjr.
    the same here first start prime 95 crashed when stop the test HWinfo was on , then tried again and HWinfo was on and crashed immediately , then started the test multiple time without HWinfo and it was working fine without any crashes i think prime 95 was using the sensors also i don't know what is the bios issue or software or processor

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad_aljallad View Post
    the same here first start prime 95 crashed when stop the test HWinfo was on , then tried again and HWinfo was on and crashed immediately , then started the test multiple time without HWinfo and it was working fine without any crashes i think prime 95 was using the sensors also i don't know what is the bios issue or software or processor
    Just curious, do you ahve the "asus EC" module loaded in, I turn this off because HWinfo said could lead to possile instability
    You can see its red / disabled in this screenshot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	74341

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AniChatt PC Specs
    AniChatt PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ThinkPad X270 i7 7500U
    MotherboardAsus Strix X470-F 4204
    ProcessorR5 1600X 3.90GHz 1.325v
    Memory (part number)FlareX 3000MHz 4x8GB 1.39v
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080
    MonitorLG 29UM69G Ultrawide
    Storage #1960EVO NVMe 250GB
    Storage #2850EVO SATA 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850W
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1809

Quote Originally Posted by Orb79 View Post
    Just curious, do you ahve the "asus EC" module loaded in, I turn this off because HWinfo said could lead to possile instability
    You can see its red / disabled in this screenshot

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	74341
    For me HW info not even asked for this. It used to ask in my previous mobo.

ROG Member Array

Any way to get BCLK overclock working on this board?

So I bought this board, thinking it was a mid to high tier board (as it had the RogStrix branding).

I had also intended to try out the Asus released recommended BCLK settings, to try and get my BCLK to 103.4 (this is the figure they suggest) in order to get somewhere near 4.45ghz clock boosts using XFR/PB2.

However, from what I can tell, this board simply can't do it.

You can change the BCLK (it seems to be labelled at "APU frequency" for some reason), but even if you only change it to 101, the system will then max out your clocks to 3.7ghz. (Also you can only set whole numbers, so it's 103 or 104, not 103.4)

I believe this is because you are also meant to change "Core Performance Boost" to "Enabled". However on this board, you can only choose between Disabled and Auto.

SO yeh, unless I'm missing something, this board is completely incapable of the recommended overclocking method for Ryzen Zen+. Basically meaning you could get the much cheaper prime instead.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I do apologise in advance, I only just found this dedicated thread after posting my own thread about this board, whoops, my bad. anyway I shall post here in the appropriate place.

So I have brought a brand spanking new 2700x which I have been meaning to do for a while. I recevied it earlier last week and have not had a chance to game or anything fun on it yet due to the sheer amount of problems this motherboard gives me especially on a Bios update.

I usually buy low-end boards just to save money, but been getting a bit more serious now and paid out for my fave brand (Strix) to really get something good going and just to please myself, but issues are alot.

The board came with a 2x bios, I booted up, got to windows, did the usual and downloaded all the correct chipset drivers and such from the Asus website, and of course I see a bios update to 4011, mustn't miss that, downloaded, put onto usb stick and restart initiated.

Upon flashing the new bios on, my cpu fan was going mental, up down up down constantly, 100% even when on idle and not touching the computer for a good hour. Looking at HWMonitor shown volts flucuations from about 1.45v all way up to 1.55v, with temps just as bad, hence the crazy fan. Any sort of cinebench or benchmark resulted in absurd 95+ temp readings. I went back to bios and tried everything imagineable over this week, underclocks, overclocks, enhancement profiles etc etc. Only creating a negative offset to vcore seemed to do anything slightly to settling things down. So with a -0.100 offset, I benchmarked again, fan instantly goes crazy and temps jump from mid 40s to mid 70s within the blink of an eye, it really is quite mental, coming from intel I am not used to this kind of whacky performance.

So after exhausting all options decided to try bios 4008, pretty much the same results as 4011 with the same temperatures.
    So after that went back down to the original 2x out of the box bios, and my god, it felt like peace was restored, everything settled down, voltages are between 0.7-1.4, cores are overclocking to 4.5 even 4.7 on one core, brilliant. Cinebench benchmark gave a top temp reading of only 63c, everything is just 1000 times better than the other bioses, albeit a lower score in cinebench, not by much.

I really don't want to return this gear, I love the look of it now it's all set up, and surely there's a reason for these bios updates, I don't see any release notes which is frustrating too. So what is meant to be improved in 4011 over the previous bios's, by staying on the out of the box bios am I missing out on important zen+ features. I can't honestly be the only one with this chip and board who updated bios and got this issue, I pray to you Asus staff and members, please help me get up and running properly, I love this machine and really want it to work.

Thank you, Dean.

AniChatt PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1809

Quote Originally Posted by deankenny View Post
    I do apologise in advance, I only just found this dedicated thread after posting my own thread about this board, whoops, my bad. anyway I shall post here in the appropriate place.

So I have brought a brand spanking new 2700x which I have been meaning to do for a while. I recevied it earlier last week and have not had a chance to game or anything fun on it yet due to the sheer amount of problems this motherboard gives me especially on a Bios update.

I usually buy low-end boards just to save money, but been getting a bit more serious now and paid out for my fave brand (Strix) to really get something good going and just to please myself, but issues are alot.

The board came with a 2x bios, I booted up, got to windows, did the usual and downloaded all the correct chipset drivers and such from the Asus website, and of course I see a bios update to 4011, mustn't miss that, downloaded, put onto usb stick and restart initiated.

Upon flashing the new bios on, my cpu fan was going mental, up down up down constantly, 100% even when on idle and not touching the computer for a good hour. Looking at HWMonitor shown volts flucuations from about 1.45v all way up to 1.55v, with temps just as bad, hence the crazy fan. Any sort of cinebench or benchmark resulted in absurd 95+ temp readings. I went back to bios and tried everything imagineable over this week, underclocks, overclocks, enhancement profiles etc etc. Only creating a negative offset to vcore seemed to do anything slightly to settling things down. So with a -0.100 offset, I benchmarked again, fan instantly goes crazy and temps jump from mid 40s to mid 70s within the blink of an eye, it really is quite mental, coming from intel I am not used to this kind of whacky performance.

So after exhausting all options decided to try bios 4008, pretty much the same results as 4011 with the same temperatures.
    So after that went back down to the original 2x out of the box bios, and my god, it felt like peace was restored, everything settled down, voltages are between 0.7-1.4, cores are overclocking to 4.5 even 4.7 on one core, brilliant. Cinebench benchmark gave a top temp reading of only 63c, everything is just 1000 times better than the other bioses, albeit a lower score in cinebench, not by much.

I really don't want to return this gear, I love the look of it now it's all set up, and surely there's a reason for these bios updates, I don't see any release notes which is frustrating too. So what is meant to be improved in 4011 over the previous bios's, by staying on the out of the box bios am I missing out on important zen+ features. I can't honestly be the only one with this chip and board who updated bios and got this issue, I pray to you Asus staff and members, please help me get up and running properly, I love this machine and really want it to work.

Thank you, Dean.
    1. If you are not facing the memory incompatibility issue then you can use 4011 since it has the security patches installed. But this new bios introduced some memory incompatibility but not for all systems.
    2. The sudden fan speed shift issue: The reason is all mobo has a cpu temp detection system which collects cpu temp and has some algorithm to stabilize the spikes. That means if you have noticed any hardware monitor reading, you must have seen the CPU tj temp is spiking really crazy while you put sudden stress but eventually stabilizes to something less. In this new bios the mobo controls fan speed as per direct CPU temp without any normalizing effect. As a result when the cpu usage spikes, so do the temp and the fan speed. This is to maintain/reduce cpu temp but yes it causes annoying fan behavior. However if you know how to tackle this then this option is much better than the previous one where most of the time the CPU actual temp was above the mobo realized temp causing some overheating and after a stress test when the actual cpu temp was reduced the fans still running fast as the mobo is instructing to go fast as it is still calculating high temp which is actually wrong. But it is wrong.

To reduce this what you can do is go to fan control option in bios and there should be an option of fan reaction delay or similar with a drop down list to change it in seconds. You may put it as say 5.2 seconds which means with each spike it will wait for that sec to react and if it get normalized before that timer ends you will not hear any fan speed shift.

3. Vcore: Yes I do agree that the recent bios are pushing insane vocore to push the cpu CPB+PBO to achieve good auto OC. If you just don't want it or temp are runing high then try to set any specific -ve or +ve offset voltage and turn on CPB and PBO then check it. Also set the LLC to 1 or 2 and not more. If you are getting huge spikes (but less likely) then turn off PBO but keep CPB on then check again.

4. The RAM DOCP profile pushes SOC voltage to 1.15v which you don't need for your defualt cooler and regular use. Try to experiment it from 1.05 to 1.10 to find out the best volt to stabilize your ram oc. Try to set the lowest and it will also help you to reduce the voltage.

5. Lastly if you are not scared of OCing your cpu then I would recommend you to turn off CPB+PBO then set the multiplier, for Ryzen+ any cpu it can easily hit 4.0 to 4.1GHz with much lower voltage and it will also run cooler. Use vcore offset not fixed and llc not more than 2. It will solve all of your problem.
    Last edited by AniChatt; 06-21-2018 at 04:30 AM.

AniChatt PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1809

Quote Originally Posted by nirurin View Post
    So I bought this board, thinking it was a mid to high tier board (as it had the RogStrix branding).

I had also intended to try out the Asus released recommended BCLK settings, to try and get my BCLK to 103.4 (this is the figure they suggest) in order to get somewhere near 4.45ghz clock boosts using XFR/PB2.
    However, from what I can tell, this board simply can't do it.
    You can change the BCLK (it seems to be labelled at "APU frequency" for some reason), but even if you only change it to 101, the system will then max out your clocks to 3.7ghz. (Also you can only set whole numbers, so it's 103 or 104, not 103.4)
    I believe this is because you are also meant to change "Core Performance Boost" to "Enabled". However on this board, you can only choose between Disabled and Auto.
    SO yeh, unless I'm missing something, this board is completely incapable of the recommended overclocking method for Ryzen Zen+. Basically meaning you could get the much cheaper prime instead.
    Have you tried the more conventional oc first before moding base clock? What is the result? Is there any issue during that OC? I have not done BCLK oc but last I have done on the i5-3450 non-overclock-able CPU to achieve 3.91Ghz all core oc on asus P8Z77-v mobo. But that time it was really difficult to stabilize the ram oc since when you push bclk all of your other frequencies get disturbed like ram, pcie bus speed etc. So do a bit more research becs it is not that easy.
    CBP auto means enabled. And for the Prime X470, this board has much better VRM design so yeh it worth it but this board is obviously is poor compred to Crosshair vrms.

ROG Enthusiast Array

i don't know if Asus aware of the issue or not

earlier i posted here about the crash issue which is happening with this motherboard when we use multiple monitoring software when screen goes black (no signal) and you will need to restart the PC from PSU only power button and reset button not working , i just contacted Asus and they recommend me to install the latest drivers , i am not sure if they are aware of the issue , is there anybody contacted issue and they informed him that they are working to resolve this issue

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by AniChatt View Post
    1. If you are not facing the memory incompatibility issue then you can use 4011 since it has the security patches installed. But this new bios introduced some memory incompatibility but not for all systems.
    2. The sudden fan speed shift issue: The reason is all mobo has a cpu temp detection system which collects cpu temp and has some algorithm to stabilize the spikes. That means if you have noticed any hardware monitor reading, you must have seen the CPU tj temp is spiking really crazy while you put sudden stress but eventually stabilizes to something less. In this new bios the mobo controls fan speed as per direct CPU temp without any normalizing effect. As a result when the cpu usage spikes, so do the temp and the fan speed. This is to maintain/reduce cpu temp but yes it causes annoying fan behavior. However if you know how to tackle this then this option is much better than the previous one where most of the time the CPU actual temp was above the mobo realized temp causing some overheating and after a stress test when the actual cpu temp was reduced the fans still running fast as the mobo is instructing to go fast as it is still calculating high temp which is actually wrong. But it is wrong.

To reduce this what you can do is go to fan control option in bios and there should be an option of fan reaction delay or similar with a drop down list to change it in seconds. You may put it as say 5.2 seconds which means with each spike it will wait for that sec to react and if it get normalized before that timer ends you will not hear any fan speed shift.

3. Vcore: Yes I do agree that the recent bios are pushing insane vocore to push the cpu CPB+PBO to achieve good auto OC. If you just don't want it or temp are runing high then try to set any specific -ve or +ve offset voltage and turn on CPB and PBO then check it. Also set the LLC to 1 or 2 and not more. If you are getting huge spikes (but less likely) then turn off PBO but keep CPB on then check again.

4. The RAM DOCP profile pushes SOC voltage to 1.15v which you don't need for your defualt cooler and regular use. Try to experiment it from 1.05 to 1.10 to find out the best volt to stabilize your ram oc. Try to set the lowest and it will also help you to reduce the voltage.

5. Lastly if you are not scared of OCing your cpu then I would recommend you to turn off CPB+PBO then set the multiplier, for Ryzen+ any cpu it can easily hit 4.0 to 4.1GHz with much lower voltage and it will also run cooler. Use vcore offset not fixed and llc not more than 2. It will solve all of your problem.
    I am not facing memory issues, infact yesterday Only just found out I have samsung b-die in my chips, which I have found out to work extremely well with Ryzen.
    But what I am most concerned about is while sitting here on the original bios, I have a low temp of 35, and everything is running real cool and smoothly, on the 4011 bios, even at the very same settings voltage and such, everything runs at a much higher temperature. You say that the actual temp is alot higher then? and HWMonitor is reporting false readings to me on this bios? I'm quite confused, and apologise for being so, so after a stress test on this bios you say the temp has reduced but the mobo is reporting to HWMonitor that the temp is actually still high, or have I got it completely wrong.

I think I am more confused than before haha. Sorry.

AniChatt PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1809

Quote Originally Posted by deankenny View Post
    I am not facing memory issues, infact yesterday Only just found out I have samsung b-die in my chips, which I have found out to work extremely well with Ryzen.
    But what I am most concerned about is while sitting here on the original bios, I have a low temp of 35, and everything is running real cool and smoothly, on the 4011 bios, even at the very same settings voltage and such, everything runs at a much higher temperature. You say that the actual temp is alot higher then? and HWMonitor is reporting false readings to me on this bios? I'm quite confused, and apologise for being so, so after a stress test on this bios you say the temp has reduced but the mobo is reporting to HWMonitor that the temp is actually still high, or have I got it completely wrong.

I think I am more confused than before haha. Sorry.
    Hmm seems much confused. My bad.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1,003.2 KB 
ID:	74366
    Look at the attached image. 1 is the cpu temp the sensors at the cpu is reading, and 2 is the temp the mobo is getting from the cpu. In many mobos I have seen this 2 is a bit less than 1 when you start your pc and doing some basic activity. When you stress the cpu, the 1 is shooting like crazy and after some times it gets normalized. But 2 takes more time to reach that normalize temp of 1, but it never spikes like crazy. When you remove stress on cpu the 1 reduces fast but 2 takes time to reduce. You may say some kind of lag is there. Since fans are taking cpu temp data from 2; fans are spinning high when actual cpu temp is low and vice versa.
    But for this mobo you can see both 1 and 2 are exactly same and with load both are showing spikes. To remove this use fan reaction time setting and make it say 5 to 6 seconds. For high volt on vcore, remove the PBO option (set off) and put a manual OC. It will take less voltage for 4.1Ghz or something and you will not see spikes anymore.
    Last edited by AniChatt; 06-21-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast