Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC1900

Quote Originally Posted by norman_87 View Post
    I just got 3533MHz stable on my Flare X 2x8GB b-die kit
    1.45V dram, 1.15V soc

3600MHz is not gonna happen with those timings, I tried already with 1.5V but showed errors, probs have to loosen some timings not worth the hassle.

Attachment 77098

Does anyone have a clue about the Aida64 benchmark? Only got the trial version, are those numbers accurate? I just know that the lowest possible latency is around 58ns for zen+
    Nice job, that is a great speed to achieve on Ryzen. I was able to get my B-Die kit stable at 3466 MHz and decently tight timings. My numbers were just a little lower than yours, both read speeds and latency. There's actually a community overclocking sheet that I put together and combined with the data from another community (OCN) for Zen+ Memory Overclocking. Check it out here. You'll see that your numbers fall right in line with others that were running their kits at similar speeds.

EDIT: I was a little surprised at your SOC voltage, seems like most other people had luck, including me, running a much lower vSOC. I'd probably try to work on that a little when you have some spare time. At the very least, lowering the vSOC will help with temperatures.
    Last edited by Alcolawl; 11-21-2018 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Additional info.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by AlleyViper View Post
    I won't comment on what the store told you, as you should have enough info to make your mind by now.
    No problem with Kingston as a brand. IIRC they offer lifetime warranty like other brands, even for the value series.

Yes, the advanced menu on bios, that's where AMD CBS is at the bottom, and inside it you can disable Core Performance Boost (pic). For memory, under the Ai Tweaker tab, to select DOCP, that's under Ai Tuner mode, and then under it DOCP profiles should be listed for your ram (example). Just pick the closest to your default timings. Else, you can correct current settings manually in the memory timings subpage still under the ai tweaker tab.

Don't bother with 3.2Ghz, that suggestion was a mistake on my part. Try simply without PB then, with 100% max speed on the W10 power profile. Don't mind about core parking, it's still enabled in the Balanced Profile, but it shouldn't be a problem like when the first Ryzen came out, and windows wasn't updated for it. Under decent cooling, those cores resting actually help PB to boost higher speeds to the rest. If you really want core parking disabled, then you can use the Ryzen Balanced power plan instead that forces it disabled, but take care to lower minimum cpu speed from 90% to 5%.
    Thanks going to do that now- by the way the links you posted, it says that kitguru doesn't allow hotlinking for those. BTW how much faster do you think I can get the memory to be from what it is under auto? Will the stability be just as good as it is now?

With the W10 profile do I still have all 8 cores/16 threads working when I need them to be? Disabling PB or setting power to 99% doesn't affect that or adversely affect the CPU does it or shorten its lifespan? And the Ryzen plan is the same as the W10 plan except for that lower minimum speed?
    Last edited by Alex0915; 11-21-2018 at 08:12 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Those screens were from their review on this board, it's easy to find them.

What I pointed was just to set them at 19-19-19 instead of 20-19-19 at 2666, it shouldn't affect stability because that's what they are rated for. If OTH, you intend to overclock them, then you should id the model and their ICs to have an idea of their behavior/limits (reviews, other users experience), and then test them conveniently. I've already pointed you to threads where you could get help for memory OC.

With the W10 profile do I still have all 8 cores/16 threads working when I need them to be? Disabling PB or setting power to 99% doesn't affect that or adversely affect the CPU does it or shorten its lifespan? And the Ryzen plan is the same as the W10 plan except for that lower minimum speed?
    Of course you have all 8/16 the same, core parking only affects the time idle/parked threads take to wake up in milliseconds. None of this limits core count under use, much less lifespan, as the intention is to run cooler under less voltage/speed (mostly while you don't have proper cooling).

Ryzen plan isn't the same as the balanced plan when min speed is adjusted to 5%, because it has other tweaks (core parking disabled, boosting cores higher and quicker under a lower usage, etc) to make it more responsive on Ryzen 1 cpus that suffered a lot when at the time they came out under W10's old cpu scheduler. But most of those tweaks can hinder performance on a Ryzen+ using PB/XFR because they'll put cores that are under low usage expending a bit more energy, which will then limit clocks for the others under load. Thats why W10s Balanced is recommend instead.
    Last edited by AlleyViper; 11-21-2018 at 09:04 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Alcolawl View Post
    Nice job, that is a great speed to achieve on Ryzen. I was able to get my B-Die kit stable at 3466 MHz and decently tight timings. My numbers were just a little lower than yours, both read speeds and latency. There's actually a community overclocking sheet that I put together and combined with the data from another community (OCN) for Zen+ Memory Overclocking. Check it out here. You'll see that your numbers fall right in line with others that were running their kits at similar speeds.

EDIT: I was a little surprised at your SOC voltage, seems like most other people had luck, including me, running a much lower vSOC. I'd probably try to work on that a little when you have some spare time. At the very least, lowering the vSOC will help with temperatures.

Thanks for linking the document to compare stuff, really helpful.

To be honest I left my soc voltage on auto which is 1.15V in Bios and 1.135V under load. Can probably test 1.0V-1.1V. Hopefully my cpu oc doesn't get unstable with lowering soc voltage, I heard that soc voltage can help with your cpu oc stability. I will stress test 1.05V soc and see how it goes, if it's unstable 1.1V soc.
    Last edited by norman_87; 11-21-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Those screens were from their review on this board, it's easy to find them.

What I pointed was just to set them at 19-19-19 instead of 20-19-19 at 2666, it shouldn't affect stability because that's what they are rated for. If OTH, you intend to overclock them, then you should id the model and their ICs to have an idea of their behavior/limits (reviews, other users experience), and then test them conveniently. I've already pointed you to threads where you could get help for memory OC.

Of course you have all 8/16 the same, core parking only affects the time idle/parked threads take to wake up in milliseconds. None of this limits core count under use, much less lifespan, as the intention is to run cooler under less voltage/speed (mostly while you don't have proper cooling).

Ryzen plan isn't the same as the balanced plan when min speed is adjusted to 5%, because it has other tweaks (core parking disabled, boosting cores higher and quicker under a lower usage, etc) to make it more responsive on Ryzen 1 cpus that suffered a lot when at the time they came out under W10's old cpu scheduler. But most of those tweaks can hinder performance on a Ryzen+ using PB/XFR because they'll put cores that are under low usage expending a bit more energy, which will then limit clocks for the others under load. Thats why W10s Balanced is recommend instead.
    Thanks so much for all your help! I'll try to overclock them after I get the new cooler next week. How much of a difference will I see between 20-19-19-43-62 and 19-19-19-43-61? Stabilitywise/durabilitywise they'll be about the same?

Okay thanks so tempwise as well as performancewise W10 balanced is the best, I'll stick to that.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The performance difference between 20-19-19-43 and 19-19-19-43 (that would be 19-19-19-19-43 by order on the memory timings page) will probably be immeasurable, even when benching latency (you can leave TRC alone on auto). But at least you aren't using them worse than stock. Stability-wise, the end result is already a JDEC value with very high latency, so there should be nothing to worry about (durability isn't even a question, it'd be only with excessive voltage+heat). It would be different if, p.e., you were lowering them to 15-17-17-xx, or further with more voltage to help on them, or keeping 19-19-19-43 but setting them to 2800 or 2933, etc. Then immediate stability testing would be needed.

Alcolawl, thanks for the link. It really helps to see how low SOC voltage can go with proper testing.
    Last edited by AlleyViper; 11-21-2018 at 11:26 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AniChatt PC Specs
    AniChatt PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ThinkPad X270 i7 7500U
    MotherboardAsus Strix X470-F 4204
    ProcessorR5 1600X 3.90GHz 1.325v
    Memory (part number)FlareX 3000MHz 4x8GB 1.39v
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080
    MonitorLG 29UM69G Ultrawide
    Storage #1960EVO NVMe 250GB
    Storage #2850EVO SATA 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850W
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1809

Quote Originally Posted by norman_87 View Post
    Thanks for linking the document to compare stuff, really helpful.

To be honest I left my soc voltage on auto which is 1.15V in Bios and 1.135V under load. Can probably test 1.0V-1.1V. Hopefully my cpu oc doesn't get unstable with lowering soc voltage, I heard that soc voltage can help with your cpu oc stability.
    Even 1.10v is not required most of the times. It is helpful for RAM OC but something 1.00 to 1.10v should do the job for Ryzen+. 1.15v is not required for almost 98% times I believe. Set a decent LLC 3-4 level and reduce the Vcore part to max possible to achieve a super low voltage stable oc. Made a tutorial on it (a bit boring though) but I have measured the power draw (by hw monitor) and found it is really worth it compared to setting the LLC lower and vcore higher.

The performance difference between 20-19-19-43 and 19-19-19-43 (that would be 19-19-19-19-43 by order on the memory timings page) will probably be immeasurable, even when benching latency (you can leave TRC alone on auto). But at least you aren't using them worse than stock. Stability-wise, the end result is already a JDEC value with very high latency, so there should be nothing to worry about (durability isn't even a question, it'd be only with excessive voltage+heat). It would be different if, p.e., you were lowering them to 15-17-17-xx, or further with more voltage to help on them, or keeping 19-19-19-43 but setting them to 2800 or 2933, etc. Then immediate stability testing would be needed.

Alcolawl, thanks for the link. It really helps to see how low SOC voltage can go with proper testing.

I was actually thinking of testing out 2933 or even higher. According to the motherboard up to 4200 speed is selectable. Are these memory sticks made of b-die? So should I wait to get the cooler next week first or try to experiment with tighter timings or faster speed first?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Alcolawl PC Specs
    Alcolawl PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix X470-F Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-346616D-16GTZKW
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon VII
    Sound CardCreative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    MonitorViotek GN27D
    Storage #1Samsung 860 EVO
    Storage #2ADATA SU800
    CPU CoolerArctic Freezer 34 eSports ONE
    CaseFractal Design Define R6
    Power SupplyFSP Group Hydro G 650W
    Keyboard Ducky Shine 7
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 300 Black
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC1900

Quote Originally Posted by Alex0915 View Post
    I was actually thinking of testing out 2933 or even higher. According to the motherboard up to 4200 speed is selectable. Are these memory sticks made of b-die? So should I wait to get the cooler next week first or try to experiment with tighter timings or faster speed first?
    Dude, I really think you need to take some time and do some research on your own. You've been having us hand-hold you through building and owning a computer for weeks now. Google exists. I have no problem helping people with a question or two, but this thread has literally become your own personal help thread. You should really start your own.

And because I'm nice, I'll answer a question of yours one last time. No, your kit cannot achieve 4200 MHz, that's the maximum supported speed by the CPU and/or motherboard. If you have a 2666 MHz rated kit, chances are that's as high as it can go. Download Taiphoon Burner and use that to identify which kind of memory ICs you have. They're definitely not B-Die. You should first attempt to get your kit running at XMP rated speeds, then tighten timings from there. Attempting to push the clocks passed what they're rated for may or may not work, but you might find that having a lower clock speed and much tighter timings is actually faster (bandwidth wise) than having faster memory clock speeds and looser timings. Ryzen is particularly sensitive to memory timings, so take from that what you will.
    Last edited by Alcolawl; 11-21-2018 at 03:38 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    Ahh, UEFI gimping . I saw this with X370 as well, that Crosshair had the most UEFI options and as you went down the tiers things disappeared.

On OCN there is a thread where UEFI modding allows options to be gained, perhaps there is UEFI for X470-F Gaming, dunno.
    I found a modded bios that unlocks many features but i'm scared to brick it, i've never flashed a modded bios before and don't know what the success rate is or if its 100% safe as long as i dont cut power while flashing

Page 52 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast