Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech Wireless
    Headset N/A
    Mouse Pad N/A
    Headset/Speakers N/A
    OS openSUSE Leap 15.0 Linux
    Network RouterAT&T NVG510

Ryzen 2600X on ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming MB Temps Excessively High

Hi, guys, first time post here. Just built my Ryzen 2600X build a week or so ago on an ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming motherboard and have been following this thread for a while.

I've read most of the posts on the temperature issue, and would like to describe my situation in the hopes I can make some adjustments to the UEFI to fix my currently high temperatures.

As the title notes, a new build of Ryzen 2600X CPU on an ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming Motherboard with the stock Wraith Spire cooler installed correctly is reporting minimum idle temperatures in the BIOS as 50 degree C with spikes to sixty degrees C (I am aware the spikes are caused by Precision Boost).

Voltages spike to 1.47V or higher every thirty seconds or so, which is presumably coming from the Precision Boost, and these immediately cause the temperature spikes. This is at stock 3.6GHz speed, no overclock, with ASUS Performance Enhancer set to AUTO or DEFAULT.

If I turn off the Precision Boost, the temperatures drop into the 30's at idle in the BIOS. This indicates to me that the voltages are WAY off or the Precision Boost is causing excessive temperatures even at the stock 3.6GHz speed.

If I manually set an overclock using the ASUS AI Tweaker and TUI to TUI 1, I get a 3.8GHz speed with LOWER voltages and temperatures drop into the 40's.

Note all these temps are IN THE UEFI BIOS, not any monitoring software. (I'm running openSUSE Linux and in Linux I can't even read accurate temperatures because the lm-sensors utility has not been properly updated for Ryzen, and the k10temp utility has been incorrectly modified to provide a 10 degree offset for the 2600X which only applies to earlier Ryzen CPUs.)

Note that I have NINE fans in this box - 5 Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, one other fan that came with the case, the Wraith Spire CPU fan, the power supply fan, and a small fan on my minor 2GB video card. The fan profile is set to 100% at 60 degrees for the Spire fan, 50% at 50 degrees for the other fans. When doing image downloads in Firefox, I can hear the CPU fan ramp up indicating higher than sixty degree temperatures.

Also note that I am on the latest UEFI BIOS released just a week or so ago.

Can anyone explain why I'm hitting these high temperatures? My understanding is that the stock cooler should enable thirty degree temperatures at idle for this processor.

Also, can anyone explain the interaction between the AMD CBS Precision Boost, the Performance Enhancer and its settings, and the TPU Settings Level 1 and 2, in terms of their overriding effect on the voltages and temperatures? The documentation in the ASUS BIOS manual is pathetic and I've had to search for randome Youtube videos on overclocking other ASUS motherboards for other CPUs to get even a little knowledge on these settings.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Alcolawl PC Specs
    Alcolawl PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix X470-F Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-346616D-16GTZKW
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon VII
    Sound CardCreative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    MonitorViotek GN27D
    Storage #1Samsung 860 EVO
    Storage #2ADATA SU800
    CPU CoolerArctic Freezer 34 eSports ONE
    CaseFractal Design Define R6
    Power SupplyFSP Group Hydro G 650W
    Keyboard Ducky Shine 7
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 300 Black
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC1900

Quote Originally Posted by richardstevenhack View Post
    Hi, guys, first time post here. Just built my Ryzen 2600X build a week or so ago on an ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming motherboard and have been following this thread for a while.

I've read most of the posts on the temperature issue, and would like to describe my situation in the hopes I can make some adjustments to the UEFI to fix my currently high temperatures.

As the title notes, a new build of Ryzen 2600X CPU on an ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming Motherboard with the stock Wraith Spire cooler installed correctly is reporting minimum idle temperatures in the BIOS as 50 degree C with spikes to sixty degrees C (I am aware the spikes are caused by Precision Boost).

Voltages spike to 1.47V or higher every thirty seconds or so, which is presumably coming from the Precision Boost, and these immediately cause the temperature spikes. This is at stock 3.6GHz speed, no overclock, with ASUS Performance Enhancer set to AUTO or DEFAULT.

If I turn off the Precision Boost, the temperatures drop into the 30's at idle in the BIOS. This indicates to me that the voltages are WAY off or the Precision Boost is causing excessive temperatures even at the stock 3.6GHz speed.

If I manually set an overclock using the ASUS AI Tweaker and TUI to TUI 1, I get a 3.8GHz speed with LOWER voltages and temperatures drop into the 40's.

Note all these temps are IN THE UEFI BIOS, not any monitoring software. (I'm running openSUSE Linux and in Linux I can't even read accurate temperatures because the lm-sensors utility has not been properly updated for Ryzen, and the k10temp utility has been incorrectly modified to provide a 10 degree offset for the 2600X which only applies to earlier Ryzen CPUs.)

Note that I have NINE fans in this box - 5 Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, one other fan that came with the case, the Wraith Spire CPU fan, the power supply fan, and a small fan on my minor 2GB video card. The fan profile is set to 100% at 60 degrees for the Spire fan, 50% at 50 degrees for the other fans. When doing image downloads in Firefox, I can hear the CPU fan ramp up indicating higher than sixty degree temperatures.

Also note that I am on the latest UEFI BIOS released just a week or so ago.

Can anyone explain why I'm hitting these high temperatures? My understanding is that the stock cooler should enable thirty degree temperatures at idle for this processor.

Also, can anyone explain the interaction between the AMD CBS Precision Boost, the Performance Enhancer and its settings, and the TPU Settings Level 1 and 2, in terms of their overriding effect on the voltages and temperatures? The documentation in the ASUS BIOS manual is pathetic and I've had to search for randome Youtube videos on overclocking other ASUS motherboards for other CPUs to get even a little knowledge on these settings.
    I have the same basic setup as you, just running Windows instead. You're going to want to do the following to get the temps in check while maximizing performance (if you choose to do so):

• Set Performance Enhancer to Default or Level 2. Default is stock PBO behavior. Level 2 is more aggressive, but may be too much for the stock cooler in some workloads.
    • If choosing to set PE to level 2, set an offset VCore to at least -.05v. Most users have reported -.075v or even more working completely stable. I'm running a -.1v undervolt myself.
    • Lower the VSOC to ~1.0V.

These settings help immensely with temperatures across the board. If you choose to set PE to level 2, you'll see a nice boost in performance as well. Performance Enhancer is basically a dropdown list of presets for AMD CBS options. Level 2 uncaps the power, current, and temperature limits in place on the chip. Level 3 and higher are for people with exotic cooling looking to squeeze every ounce out of their chip, so I wouldn't bother in your situation.

I'm confident that you'll see a nice difference after following the steps I've listed. Report back!

ROG Member Array richardstevenhack PC Specs
    richardstevenhack PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
    ProcessorRyzen 5 2600X
    Memory (part number)CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorAcer 23"
    Storage #1Hitachi 4TB HDD
    Storage #2Hitachi 4TB HDD
    CPU CoolerWraith Spire
    CaseCooler Master Haf 912
    Power SupplyEVGA 650W 80% Gold
    Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech Wireless
    Headset N/A
    Mouse Pad N/A
    Headset/Speakers N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Alcolawl View Post
    I have the same basic setup as you, just running Windows instead. You're going to want to do the following to get the temps in check while maximizing performance (if you choose to do so):

• Set Performance Enhancer to Default or Level 2. Default is stock PBO behavior. Level 2 is more aggressive, but may be too much for the stock cooler in some workloads.
    • If choosing to set PE to level 2, set an offset VCore to at least -.05v. Most users have reported -.075v or even more working completely stable. I'm running a -.1v undervolt myself.

These settings help immensely with temperatures across the board. If you choose to set PE to level 2, you'll see a nice boost in performance as well. Performance Enhancer is basically a dropdown list of presets for AMD CBS options. Level 2 uncaps the power, current, and temperature limits in place on the chip. Level 3 and higher are for people with exotic cooling looking to squeeze every ounce out of their chip, so I wouldn't bother in your situation.

I'm confident that you'll see a nice difference after following the steps I've listed. Report back!
    Thank you for your reply.

Actually my current settings are these - I've used your suggestions prior to my initial post above:

CPU Voltage is 1.100V with Offset Voltage Sign - and Offset Voltage Override of 0.08750.
    SOC Voltage Override is 0.900V
    Performance Enhancer is AUTO
    Precision Boost is Enabled in AMD CBS
    TPU = Keep Current Settings

My Core Voltage reported in the upper right hand section of the UEFI display continues to show 1.351V to 1.451V or higher causing an idle temperature of 46-55 degrees C. These temps are mostly around 46-47 degrees C unless I scroll the display or I change from one display to another, then the system spikes to higher voltages and temps.

I've also tried this with Performance Enhancer set to Default, with no change in temperatures.

All this is at stock 3600 MHz as displayed in the upper right.

What I don't understand is how the voltage displayed remains at 1.351V minimum when I've set the Offset to -0.0875. Do I need to set it somewhere else? Do I need to set the voltage manually without Offset to 1.3, as someone on Reddit suggested? How can I force the voltage to remain where I want it? Ill try a 0.100V Offset right now and see what happens.

ProcessorRyzen 5 2600X
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorAcer 23"
    CPU CoolerWraith Spire
    Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech Wireless
    Headset N/A
    Mouse Pad N/A
    Headset/Speakers N/A

OK, so here are the results of my latest experiment...

CPU Voltage was set to Offset -0.1000 with SOC Voltage remaining the same 0.900V
    Performance Enhancer was set to Level 2

Core Voltage continued to display at 1.351+/- spiking to 1.437+/- when scrolling the display. Temperatures hovered at 45-46 degrees C, spiking to 57 degrees C when scrolling the display.

I did notice that when scrolling the display, the Core Voltage displayed a momentary drop to 1.283 - indicating the under volt was being applied - but then it immediately spiked back up to around 1.439 or so as the temperatures spiked up to 55-57 degrees.

When I re-entered Linux, however, I did notice that the Psensor utility showed slightly lower temperatures than before. Previously the lowest temperatures reported were in the '30's - around 36-38 degrees - which are inaccurate because the k10temp utility has an invalid 10 degree offset applied - so the actual temperatures are in the 40's. This time the lowest temperature reported was around 28 degrees, which translates to around 38 degrees, which is lower than I've seen before. Perhaps the drop in Core Voltage prior to spikes is actually having some small effect.

I'm going to try applying a direct manual CPU Voltage override of 1.283 - without using the Offset - and see what effect that has.

ProcessorRyzen 5 2600X
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorAcer 23"
    CPU CoolerWraith Spire
    Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech Wireless
    Headset N/A
    Mouse Pad N/A
    Headset/Speakers N/A

Next Experiment

I applied a CPU Voltage of 1.283 manually, no Offset, and left SOC Voltage at 0.9000, with Performance Enhancer set to Level 1. The actual voltage the system forced was 1.28750.

Core Voltage showed 1.279 and maxed out at the 1.287 I'd set. So whatever I set manually, that's the max the system will supply, with no voltage spike. The voltage varies between 1.279 and 1.287. Temperature mostly hovered around 43 degrees but still spiked into the 50's.

So I decided to see how low I could take the CPU Voltage. I manually set it to 1.2500, left SOC the same as before and PE the same as before. Now the Core Voltage varied from 1.242 to 1.250 max. Temperature varied from 41 degrees to 49-50 degrees during PBO spikes. In Linux, temps stayed mostly in the 40's, with a max spike to 56 degrees. I ran Windows 10 in Virtualbox and loaded up most of the main programs I use. But in coming here to report the results, the system froze, indicating the voltage was too low and the system was unstable.

So I cranked the voltage up to 1.27500, left SOC the same, and PE at Level 1. I'm running all my standard programs - an editor, my diet program, file manager, console, playing music on loop, running a TV show in my media player, and running a Youtube video in Windows 10 in VirtualBox, and reporting results here and no freeze so far.

Psensor is showing temperatures in the 50's with a max of 64 degrees. That's slightly better than what I had going on before which was temps in the 50's spiking into the 60s and even occasionally into the low 70's even without running VirtualBox.

Still, I should be able to do better if I knew more about how the UEFI settings affect the voltages. For instance, what does "Performance Bias" do? It has four settings, but their purpose is not clear, although reference to GeekBench would indicate they are oriented to biasing performance to varying uses of the machine. What are those settings and how do they effect performance, especially voltages?

Also, what does TPU and its settings do with relation to Precision Boost? I've seen that selecting it and TPU 1 gives me an automatic overclock of 3.8 with corresponding lower voltages and temps, but still not particularly low temps.

For the moment, as long as the system is stable, I'll leave the settings where they are now. But I could use more info.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Alcolawl PC Specs
    Alcolawl PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix X470-F Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-346616D-16GTZKW
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon VII
    Sound CardCreative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    MonitorViotek GN27D
    Storage #1Samsung 860 EVO
    Storage #2ADATA SU800
    CPU CoolerArctic Freezer 34 eSports ONE
    CaseFractal Design Define R6
    Power SupplyFSP Group Hydro G 650W
    Keyboard Ducky Shine 7
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 300 Black
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC1900

Quote Originally Posted by richardstevenhack View Post
    Still, I should be able to do better if I knew more about how the UEFI settings affect the voltages. For instance, what does "Performance Bias" do? It has four settings, but their purpose is not clear, although reference to GeekBench would indicate they are oriented to biasing performance to varying uses of the machine. What are those settings and how do they effect performance, especially voltages?

Also, what does TPU and its settings do with relation to Precision Boost? I've seen that selecting it and TPU 1 gives me an automatic overclock of 3.8 with corresponding lower voltages and temps, but still not particularly low temps.

For the moment, as long as the system is stable, I'll leave the settings where they are now. But I could use more info.
    Something is off, here. It should not be idling that warm, even with the stock cooler. I'd look at remounting the CPU heatsink (and of course reapplying a quality thermal paste). Also take a look at your CPU fan curve. Perhaps it's too conservative? The settings I posted in my last post seemed to have helped most people with similar setups with idle (and sometimes load) temperature issues. The BIOS always places the CPU under a decent load, so the temperature reported in there is not a true idle temp. Neither is the voltage, as the CPU cannot idle fully like it does when you're at your desktop.

Again, we have similar builds, just different operating systems. Looking at HWInfo in Windows, with the settings I mentioned in my previous post, my CPU idles down to 2.2 GHz @ .731V. It also never exceeds 1.45V under load. If you don't have similar results, then something must be off. Remount the heatsink, as mentioned earlier, and make sure your CPU is idling properly when not being used. When scrolling a website such as Facebook, the core voltage jumps to ~1.43V, and temps rise about 10°C. Nothing like what you're reporting.

As far as Performance Bias, I'm not sure what this does under the hood, but I've always left it on Auto. I honestly just think it's for benchmarking. I've also never touched the TPU setting. Performance Enhancer set to Level 2 sets all of the variables in the BIOS that I need to maximize the performance of my CPU. All I do is dial back the voltages a bit to reel in the temps.

ProcessorRyzen 5 2600X
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorAcer 23"
    CPU CoolerWraith Spire
    Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech Wireless
    Headset N/A
    Mouse Pad N/A
    Headset/Speakers N/A

Something is off, here. It should not be idling that warm, even with the stock cooler. I'd look at remounting the CPU heatsink (and of course reapplying a quality thermal paste). Also take a look at your CPU fan curve. Perhaps it's too conservative? The settings I posted in my last post seemed to have helped most people with similar setups with idle (and sometimes load) temperature issues. The BIOS always places the CPU under a decent load, so the temperature reported in there is not a true idle temp. Neither is the voltage, as the CPU cannot idle fully like it does when you're at your desktop.

Again, we have similar builds, just different operating systems. Looking at HWInfo in Windows, with the settings I mentioned in my previous post, my CPU idles down to 2.2 GHz @ .731V. It also never exceeds 1.45V under load. If you don't have similar results, then something must be off. Remount the heatsink, as mentioned earlier, and make sure your CPU is idling properly when not being used. When scrolling a website such as Facebook, the core voltage jumps to ~1.43V, and temps rise about 10°C. Nothing like what you're reporting.

As far as Performance Bias, I'm not sure what this does under the hood, but I've always left it on Auto. I honestly just think it's for benchmarking. I've also never touched the TPU setting. Performance Enhancer set to Level 2 sets all of the variables in the BIOS that I need to maximize the performance of my CPU. All I do is dial back the voltages a bit to reel in the temps.
    I agree that something is off. Currently in Linux, PSensor is showing idling at 39-45 degrees or so while I was eating dinner. It' s just now spiked to 51 degrees now that I'm here in Firefox doing something.

I've read elsewhere that the system doesn't really idle in the BIOS, but Linux doesn't apply a "power profile" like Windows does. Although most processes in Linux are idle if you're not actually doing anything, only a few are active with really minimal CPU load. So perhaps the temps in the BIOS are already inflated a bit. Is it possible that the temps in the BIOS are reflecting an offset put in by ASUS under the mistaken assumption that Ryzen processors need one? That makes no sense as the offset would have to be an increase, not a decrease...

Yes, I think on reflection Performance Bias seems to be oriented to benchmarks - CB must stand for CineBench, etc.

As for reseating the cooler, I've been trying to avoid that. When I put the cooler in initially, I did fail to entirely screw down one of the screws. I fixed that the other day, with no effect on temperatures. I did buy some Arctic Silver, and if I have to, I'll reseat the cooler. But I suspect that really isn't the issue as the default paste on the Wraith Spire should be enough to keep temperatures in the 30's by all accoounts I've read.

Right now, temperatures aren't too bad compared to the way they were before. It may be I've just got a MB or processor that sucks more power than normal. Of course my room is a little cooler these last couple days due to low temperatures outside here in San Francisco.

Also my fan curve is pretty aggressive since my fans are pretty quiet. I ramp up CPU to 100% at 60 degrees, and case fans to 75% at 50 and never below 600 RPM.

We'll see.

As an aside, I wish these horrible aggressive Capchas would go AWAY!
    Last edited by richardstevenhack; 12-13-2018 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Add text

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by platonastza View Post
    Dont worry..it wont mess anything on you usb driver..it`s just a single file that Bios will read it once.

I just copy the bios file on my c:\ or d:\ .

fs1-2-3 it`s filesystem1-2-3...that means that are your disk partitions...so one is your drive C ,an other is D and so..also one of them(the first i think) is the windows 10 recovery partition that you can see when you open "This pc".

on my pc i thinks its :

fs1= windows recovery partition
    fs2= Drive C:
    fs3= Drive D:
    fs4= Drive E:
    ah excellent thanks! so I can just copy the unzipped .CAP file into my root directory C:\ and it will be easily found under fs2?

ProcessorRyzen 5 2600X
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorAcer 23"
    CPU CoolerWraith Spire
    Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech Wireless
    Headset N/A
    Mouse Pad N/A
    Headset/Speakers N/A

I'm just going to leave this here

I just spent several hours looking at the C source code for the k10temp driver for Linux which reports temperatures for various CPUs in the AMD family.

As far as I can tell - and I'm not an expert C programmer, although I have had courses in C in the past - it appears that of all changes made to support the 10 and 20 degree offsets to reported Ryzen temperatures, the code appears to use a lookup table which checks for strings involving the 1600X, 1700X, 2700X, and Threadripper CPUs - but NOT the 2600X!

If this is true, then as far as I can tell, this means the temps reported by the k10temp driver *should be* CORRECT, as no offset is applied!

This rocks my world. It means that under OS load, my system IS in the 30's and 40's and only boosting into the 50's under significant load.

And I can live with that if indeed that is accurate. I have been adding ten degrees under the belief that the driver was wrong. But it *may* be right for ONLY the 2600X CPU.

I'll let this slide since for the moment my temps under significant load - including running virtual machines - does not appear to reach into the 60's for more than a few seconds, and if I am correct that the temps are right, they are actually only reaching into the 50's - and that's fine either way.

Thanks for the help so far. If I need any more assistance, I will come back.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

If Performance Enhancer is set to Default, does the VSOC still need to be lowered to 1.0v?

Page 64 of 151 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 ... LastLast