Graphics Card #1MSI 1080Ti @ Water
    Sound CardSteinberg UR22
    MonitorAOC 1440p 27" S-PLS
    Storage #1256GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe
    Storage #22xSSD:s, 4xHDD:s
    CPU CoolerAntec 620 AIO push-pull 2xNidec Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm
    CaseCorsair Carbide 200R
    Power SupplyCooler Master V550S
    Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown (50$ on sale)
    Mouse Steelseries Sensei RAW
    Headset Sennheiser HD600
    Mouse Pad Steelseries, hard
    Headset/Speakers Swissonic ASM5 active studio monitors (thomann.de)
    OS Windows10 preview build 16237
    Network RouterAsus RT-N66U

Quote Originally Posted by mixsetup View Post
    Does anyone use the EZ tuning thing in the UEFI or do you just do everything manually.
    Had a look and it says it can increase the CPU by 8%.
    When I first tried to OC i used EZ, then I used manual and got better results mainly cooler operation but also faster. But in the end I settled at letting XFR2/PBO2 do it's job using offset -0.0875V on vcore. It's cool AND fast.

PBO must explicitly be turned on in the bios to work, on "automatic" it's not activated
    . You can check in Ryzen Master if PBO is turned on. It's the best way to run these processors IMHO.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
    When I first tried to OC i used EZ, then I used manual and got better results mainly cooler operation but also faster. But in the end I settled at letting XFR2/PBO2 do it's job using offset -0.0875V on vcore. It's cool AND fast.

PBO must explicitly be turned on in the bios to work, on "automatic" it's not activated
    . You can check in Ryzen Master if PBO is turned on. It's the best way to run these processors IMHO.
    Thanks PBO is on in Ryzen Master I'll have a look at it.

ROG Enthusiast Array Plan3tCrack3r PC Specs
    Plan3tCrack3r PC Specs
    MotherboardROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
    ProcessorRyzen 2700X
    Memory (part number)Vengeance RGB Pro CMW16GX4M2C3000C15
    Graphics Card #1XFX Fatboy RX 590
    Sound CardPioneer Elite Receiver, SteelSeries GameDAC
    MonitorAcer KG271U 1440p/144Hz, Samsung 46" 1080p
    Storage #1970 EVO 500GB, Inland Premium 256GB NVME, Sandisk Ultra 3D 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage #2Barracuda Pro 2TB, Firecuda 2TB
    CPU CoolerH115i Pro, 3X LL120 Fans
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 500D
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650 Gold
    Keyboard K70 MK.2 Low Profile Rapidfire - MX Speed, Logitech G613 Wireless
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 600, G602, MX Anywhere 2S
    Headset SteelSeries Arctis 3 w/ GamDAC
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries Qck Prism Cloth XL
    Headset/Speakers Polk 5.1 Towers, bookshelves, sub
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Accessory #1 DualShock 4

Quote Originally Posted by Alex0915 View Post
    Same here and I started with a very early build of Windows 10 Home from 2015 (build 1508 I think) and updated to the latest after install. I have one SSD HD and one Mech HD. The Samsung 970 EVO 550 GB NVME SSD and a Toshiba 1 TB Mech HD with the 2700X. How much RAM do you have? 16 GB (2x8 GB)?

And do you recommend Samsung Magician? And Samsung NVME Controller V3.0.0.1802, 2/12/18? I dont think I downloaded either of them yet, on HWiNFO it says I have NVME Controller version 1.3 lol. I haven't installed any hard drive management software yet, but since we have the same hard drive, I was wondering if it's beneficial to get those two and anything else? Also do you use the hibernate feature? I do and was wondering if it's safe for the SSD to do that, it only uses 6.8 GB of storage space on it and only hibernates once or twice a day. HWiNFO tells me I have written 1.6 TB of data to the drive so far and I installed everything at the beginning of October. And is it safe to shut off the UPS or PSU or both when the computer is hibernating?

Do you have that steady orange LED glowing on the bottom right part of your motherboard too? I read that this is a stand by light that shows that everything is working properly.
    I forgot to subscribe to this thread.

I have 16GB of 3000CL15 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, which doesn't show up in Corsair iCue with latest 4207 BIOS, only in 4018, but it stays lit up with the previous hardware setting when moving back to latest BIOS. It's running in DOCP 1 at 3000 MHz. Also, I'm running Performance Enhancer Level 3, no manual voltage offsets, as it seems to keep everything the coolest. I'd like to go back to some manual settings I initially tried but have set it and forget it the last couple of weeks.

I recommend Samsung Magician, as it is a very light program, using only 4 to 16MB of RAM whether minimized in the system tray or the window is open. I'm not using it for much on this PC so far besides SSD drive firmware updates (rare), access to the Windows Optimize Drive function for running TRIM or defrags of SSDs and HHDs respectively and for setting overprovisioning of my Samsung SSDs to help increase drive life (I'm not re-writing loads of data daily so not too concerned, 970 EVO has I think triple TB written life of 850 EVO). One issue I'm having, really with Windows 10 not Magician, is that only my 970 EVO NVMe drive is being optimized/TRIMed, my 500 GB 850 EVO and new 1TB Sandisk Ultra 3D show "Optimization not available." Magician can also run RAPID mode which uses your RAM to boost SSD speed even further, but I believe it can only be used with SATA SSDs (Samsung only), not PCIE NVMe drives, and it uses considerable memory. However, Magician is giving me an error with my two SATA SSDs that RAPID may not run properly due to ASMedia. I'd like to know the issue but am not really concerned as I've never used RAPID mode except for testing possible drive speed and don't plan on using it. Regarding Samsung NVMe controller, I've had it installed since I loaded Windows 10 and don't see any issues. I like to use OEM drivers over Windows drivers from 2006 when available. I now have 5 drives, 3 SSDs (970 EVO 500 GB , 950 EVO 500 GB, SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB) and 2 HHDs (Seagate Barracuda Pro 2TB and Firecuda 2TB), no RAID setup. I didn't add any additional software or drivers for my hard drives, but Seagate has Seatools which I've used in the past for checking hard drives for errors.

I haven't used Hibernate since maybe Windows 7. I've been using Hybrid Sleep since I think 2014 when W10 was first available for windows insiders. I simply attribute blue screens, boot issues and hard drive problems in the past to using Hibernate back then, which may be irrational, and have not had such issues since, even though I know Hybrid Sleep uses both boot drive and memory to store in-use data during sleep, but the hard drive data is more for power failures which are extremely rare. Re: your amount of data written during hibernate, the 970 EVO has a 600X write endurance of the rated capacity, so 300 TB for a 500 GB drive, which is the specification that consumers should be most concerned with between different drive manufacturers, models and price points. The endurance is very in line with the price, which is why Samsung PROs are so much more expensive, they have about double the write endurance of EVO models of the same generation. Hibernate shouldn't have much of an effect at your rate, but every bit does add up, so really depends on how many years you want the drive to last. My almost 2 year old 850 EVO has 7.5 TB written, I don't use a UPS at home but don't see any problem with turning power off or UPS power off when the PC is hibernating but also don't see the point unless looking to save every bit of electricity from every device and LED in those devices drawing power at your residence or office. I would let your preferred Windows power save mode and the connected UPS do their things. I maintained critical PCs for a manufacturing company while in college and never would have thought of doing such with a PC or UPS, but that was for machines mostly running 24/7. At the time, the units that were off for longer periods of time and spare UPSs not in use gave more problems, back in the NT4 and W2000 days getting ready for Y2K to destroy every PC and being on Earth.

The only LED lit on my MOBO, besides the four that light in the top right corner during the boot sequence, is the amber/orange one in the lower right corner just below the SATA ports. The X470-F manual states it is always ON when powered and OFF when no power.
    Last edited by Plan3tCrack3r; 01-25-2019 at 03:33 AM.

ROG Member Array

Okay was looking at faster DDR4 than the 2400 MHz in the system.
    Would G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 AMD
    go okay in this board as some say it supports 3466MHz and others say it will support the 3600MHz.
    Or would I be better to just get 3200MHz for this board?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Alcolawl PC Specs
    Alcolawl PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix X470-F Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-346616D-16GTZKW
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon VII
    Sound CardCreative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    MonitorViotek GN27D
    Storage #1Samsung 860 EVO
    Storage #2ADATA SU800
    CPU CoolerArctic Freezer 34 eSports ONE
    CaseFractal Design Define R6
    Power SupplyFSP Group Hydro G 650W
    Keyboard Ducky Shine 7
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 300 Black
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC1900

Quote Originally Posted by mixsetup View Post
    Okay was looking at faster DDR4 than the 2400 MHz in the system.
    Would G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 AMD
    go okay in this board as some say it supports 3466MHz and others say it will support the 3600MHz.
    Or would I be better to just get 3200MHz for this board?
    Save your money and get a good 3200C14 kit of some kind. It will most likely be able to clock higher than 3200 MHz to begin with, if that's what you desire, but beyond 3200 MHz, you start seeing diminishing returns. Of course, if you've got the cash, you could always get a faster kit. If you're planning on getting a Ryzen 3xxx series CPU in the future, rumors are starting to surface that they might support faster memory kits. So it might be a bit more future proof, but they're just rumors. Salt recommended.

ROG Member Array

thanks no as I just bought the 2600X as my old FX board died so won;t be buying one of the new Ryzen;s for a while.
    Wasn't going to OC the memory that's why I was looking at the 3600MHz.
    Last edited by mixsetup; 01-25-2019 at 06:13 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Plan3tCrack3r View Post
    I forgot to subscribe to this thread.

I have 16GB of 3000CL15 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, which doesn't show up in Corsair iCue with latest 4207 BIOS, only in 4018, but it stays lit up with the previous hardware setting when moving back to latest BIOS. It's running in DOCP 1 at 3000 MHz. Also, I'm running Performance Enhancer Level 3, no manual voltage offsets, as it seems to keep everything the coolest. I'd like to go back to some manual settings I initially tried but have set it and forget it the last couple of weeks.

I recommend Samsung Magician, as it is a very light program, using only 4 to 16MB of RAM whether minimized in the system tray or the window is open. I'm not using it for much on this PC so far besides SSD drive firmware updates (rare), access to the Windows Optimize Drive function for running TRIM or defrags of SSDs and HHDs respectively and for setting overprovisioning of my Samsung SSDs to help increase drive life (I'm not re-writing loads of data daily so not too concerned, 970 EVO has I think triple TB written life of 850 EVO). One issue I'm having, really with Windows 10 not Magician, is that only my 970 EVO NVMe drive is being optimized/TRIMed, my 500 GB 850 EVO and new 1TB Sandisk Ultra 3D show "Optimization not available." Magician can also run RAPID mode which uses your RAM to boost SSD speed even further, but I believe it can only be used with SATA SSDs (Samsung only), not PCIE NVMe drives, and it uses considerable memory. However, Magician is giving me an error with my two SATA SSDs that RAPID may not run properly due to ASMedia. I'd like to know the issue but am not really concerned as I've never used RAPID mode except for testing possible drive speed and don't plan on using it. Regarding Samsung NVMe controller, I've had it installed since I loaded Windows 10 and don't see any issues. I like to use OEM drivers over Windows drivers from 2006 when available. I now have 5 drives, 3 SSDs (970 EVO 500 GB , 950 EVO 500 GB, SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB) and 2 HHDs (Seagate Barracuda Pro 2TB and Firecuda 2TB), no RAID setup. I didn't add any additional software or drivers for my hard drives, but Seagate has Seatools which I've used in the past for checking hard drives for errors.

I haven't used Hibernate since maybe Windows 7. I've been using Hybrid Sleep since I think 2014 when W10 was first available for windows insiders. I simply attribute blue screens, boot issues and hard drive problems in the past to using Hibernate back then, which may be irrational, and have not had such issues since, even though I know Hybrid Sleep uses both boot drive and memory to store in-use data during sleep, but the hard drive data is more for power failures which are extremely rare. Re: your amount of data written during hibernate, the 970 EVO has a 600X write endurance of the rated capacity, so 300 TB for a 500 GB drive, which is the specification that consumers should be most concerned with between different drive manufacturers, models and price points. The endurance is very in line with the price, which is why Samsung PROs are so much more expensive, they have about double the write endurance of EVO models of the same generation. Hibernate shouldn't have much of an effect at your rate, but every bit does add up, so really depends on how many years you want the drive to last. My almost 2 year old 850 EVO has 7.5 TB written, I don't use a UPS at home but don't see any problem with turning power off or UPS power off when the PC is hibernating but also don't see the point unless looking to save every bit of electricity from every device and LED in those devices drawing power at your residence or office. I would let your preferred Windows power save mode and the connected UPS do their things. I maintained critical PCs for a manufacturing company while in college and never would have thought of doing such with a PC or UPS, but that was for machines mostly running 24/7. At the time, the units that were off for longer periods of time and spare UPSs not in use gave more problems, back in the NT4 and W2000 days getting ready for Y2K to destroy every PC and being on Earth.

The only LED lit on my MOBO, besides the four that light in the top right corner during the boot sequence, is the amber/orange one in the lower right corner just below the SATA ports. The X470-F manual states it is always ON when powered and OFF when no power.
    I'll definitely get Samsung Magician then, does it properly show how much data has been written to the drive? I have used HWiNFO for that and that shows 1.7 TB over the 4 months that I've had the 500 GB drive so far. Is that a good rate? So I can head on over to the Samsung site and download both Magician and the latest NVMe controller there? (The drive didn't come with a CD.) Thanks, I've been wanting to have some upkeep tools for this drive, I was actually trying to decide if I should get the 1 TB model also but it looks like the second M.2 port on this motherboard can have some issues?

The issue I have with Sleep is that my computer randomly wakes up from it even though I have internet packets set up to not be detected in sleep mode and it tells me the only things that can wake it up are my keyboard and mouse. With Hibernate, rather than blue screen, occasionally my computer will freeze and I have to restart it. If you have both Sleep turned on and have it set up to later go to Hibernate, would it be wise in that case to have Hybrid Sleep turned off? Because in that case data would be written to the SSD twice- once when going into Sleep and then again later when going to Hibernate. Or is that not the case? I'm a little nervous about the 1.7 TB written to the drive in 4 months, is that too much? I may need Magician and that overprovisioning software you mentioned, I wonder how much that extends the life of the drive? My mech HD usually fail after 5-6 years. Besides this one I have a 1 TB Toshiba SATA HDD. Not sure I need any software or drivers for that.

I have frequent brownouts/power dips here hence the need for a UPS, I got the Cyberpower 1000AVR version for that, and I've already had a power outage, for an hour when an arctic front moved through a few days ago and the wind blew a transformer on my street and I had no power or heat for an hour in 5 degree / -20 wind chill weather lol. Part of the reason I turn the UPS off is I'm worried its battery life will shorten if it's kept on 24/7- is that the case? As far as the PC is concerned, I think the general rule of thumb is to make it go to sleep mode if you're away for an hour or two, go to hibernate for overnight and shut it down if you're gone for a few days or more. Is this right or to maintain the health of the power supply (I have an 850W Thermaltake Smart Power unit with an 100,000 hour MTBF) should the computer (or maybe even the power supply) be shut off every night. I usually shut the computer off and shut off the UPS, but I leave the PSU in the on position- I hope that's not bad or will shorten its life. The reason I shut off the UPS every night is because of the brownouts here, I dont want anything to be damaged. Not sure if I should also shut off the PSU or if shutting off the UPS is enough.
    Last edited by Alex0915; 01-25-2019 at 03:00 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AniChatt PC Specs
    AniChatt PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ThinkPad X270 i7 7500U
    MotherboardAsus Strix X470-F 4204
    ProcessorR5 1600X 3.90GHz 1.325v
    Memory (part number)FlareX 3000MHz 4x8GB 1.39v
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080
    MonitorLG 29UM69G Ultrawide
    Storage #1960EVO NVMe 250GB
    Storage #2850EVO SATA 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseNZXT S340 Razer
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850W
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse Corsair Harpoon
    OS Windows 10 1809

Quote Originally Posted by homdax View Post
    Strange, no issues related to that whatsoever.... running 1803 or maybe even 1809 W10Pro.
    May be due to 1600x setup

ROG Member Array homdax PC Specs
    homdax PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 2600X
    Memory (part number)32 GB G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GVH
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GTX 1060 6GB
    Monitor2 x Dell U2718Q 4K
    CPU CoolerAMD Wraith
    CaseCorsair Carbide Air 540
    Power SupplyCorsair RM850X
    Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Flare
    Mouse Logitech G703
    Headset Kingston HyperX
    Mouse Pad Logitech Powerplay
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z623
    OS Windws 10 Pro
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC87U
    Accessory #1 Kayboard ASUS ROG Strife

Quote Originally Posted by AniChatt View Post
    May be due to 1600x setup
    Maybe, not very cunning as to the differences between what works and not in that regard. 1809 it is.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Alcolawl View Post
    Save your money and get a good 3200C14 kit of some kind. It will most likely be able to clock higher than 3200 MHz to begin with, if that's what you desire, but beyond 3200 MHz, you start seeing diminishing returns. Of course, if you've got the cash, you could always get a faster kit. If you're planning on getting a Ryzen 3xxx series CPU in the future, rumors are starting to surface that they might support faster memory kits. So it might be a bit more future proof, but they're just rumors. Salt recommended.
    Do you buy the idea that the new generation of Ryzen will have 16c/32t CPUs at the top end? That would render all our CPUs obsolete! Even the 2700x! I hope that they at least work in these motherboards!

I didn't know they'd support faster memory kits- I thought they only supported a faster PCIe bus- PCIe 4?

Maybe they will support a higher capacity of memory though? Like 32 GB per channel? Could our motherboards do that with a BIOS update? I think it's possible as well as getting them to support faster memory (but not DDR5 OR PCIe 4).

Page 77 of 165 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 ... LastLast