cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z270e motherboard detects optical drive but not storage drives?

Toppingpfc15
Level 7
What happened

SPECS LISTED AT BOTTOM. I have had my custom built gaming pc for nearly a year now with much struggle. I’ve already rmad my board once and my graphics card twice. My pc was working perfectly fine for 3 months when the other day my ssd was no longer being detected by the motherboard in bios. At first I just figured that the ssd had died because it was about four or five years old and from another computer build. I was planning on ordering a new one when I started up my pc and noticed that my hard drive was no longer being detected in bios. This struck me as odd because my hard drive is only one and a half years old. I switched both the sata and power cables after completely powering down my pc and unplugging it (also I held down the power button for 30 seconds after to make sure the capacitors had been completely discharged). Still didn’t work. I plugged in a dvd drive from an old pc build to see if it would work using the same cables as my hard drive and interestingly enough it turned on. I went through my bios and made sure that all the sata controls were enabled and I even loaded optimize defaults as well as cleared the cmos. Still nothing. Any suggestions?

Trouble shooting steps taken
1. Tried each storage drive by itself without any other being plugged in
2. Swapped both power cables and sata cables
3. Swapped ports that the sata cables were in and tried nearly each port available
4. Plugged in optical drive (dvd drive) into the same power and sata cables. DVD drive powered on and was detected by motherboard
5. Loaded optimized defaults
6. Cleared cmos
7. Tried other hard drive that I had in desk (did not work)*

Specs

Processor: i7-7700k
Motherboard: Asus strix z270e gaming
RAM: g. Skill trident z rgb 1x8 gig
Graphics card: Asus strix rog 1080ti
Hard drive: Western digital blue 1tb
SSD: crucial mx100 125gig
Cooler: nzxt kraken x62
Power supply: Corsair 750x*

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. I’ve struggled to find anyone with a similar issue on a variety of forums and it has been quite the headache. Cheers *
5 REPLIES 5

chevell65
Level 12
That drive is nearly a relic but I have read you can get Windows to see them again by updating the firmware via USB drive. The firmware and instructions to update from a USB flash drive are on this page. You need to scroll down a little to get to the MX100 firmware.

chevell65 wrote:
That drive is nearly a relic but I have read you can get Windows to see them again by updating the firmware via USB drive. The firmware and instructions to update from a USB flash drive are on this page. You need to scroll down a little to get to the MX100 firmware.

thanks for the suggestion but it’s not windows that isn’t detecting the drives. It’s the bios itself so I can’t even boot into windows to begin

chevell65
Level 12
You can update the drive's firmware using the USB flash drive without going into windows.

I’ll give it a try but it’s also my hard drive that’s not being detected either. Any drive I plug in doesn’t get detected by books*

Toppingpfc15
Level 7
Bios