Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Angry PG279Q - most disappointing experience I had with any product I've ever purchased

I don't know if I should be sad or enraged. I recently bought the PG279Q monitor cause it has everything I'm looking for and in general, it's a great screen... if it wasn't faulty.

It doesn't suffer from any noticeable BLB, no dead pixels etc. but there's one unacceptable flaw - a big portion of the screen in the mid-left area has a yellow-ish tint and it's so clearly noticeable, it's hard or annoying to use this monitor so I bought another unit from a different store - EXACT same issue. Not just the same issue, but in the exact same spot.

To be clear, it's definitely not the same I had before because... I haven't returned the previous one yet so I have two now. The serial numbers on both start with J2LMQS so already when I saw the box I was nervous and for good reason. I can't believe this, I had 3 other monitors in the past, all TN panels, two from Samsung, one from BenQ and all of them relatively cheap, I can't believe that a high end $900 screen would be faulty TWICE.

Yes, I read about the apparent quality control issues, but let's face it, if you Google the name of any product and "opinions" or read any customer review for anything in any store, some people will complain about the quality if they got some faulty unit so I though what are the odds that 2 out of 2 will be unusable. Unbelievable.

I'm extremely disappointed by ASUS, I'll probably return both and get replacement 3 and 4, then a refund, not sure how many more time I'll try to buy it in different stores hoping for a good unit as I really like it (if it wasn't faulty), but if anyone from ASUS reads this - shame on you, I'll think twice before I'll buy my next MoBo or graphics card from ASUS.

ROG Member Array

Got my third panel yesterday, this one's from a new series from March 2018 (as opposed to February) and it's still bad.

Only 5-10% of the screen on the far right side shows good, accurate, nice, saturated colors, the rest looks almost... dirty. The screen itself is definitely squeaky clean so it's not actual dirt, it's just... looks as washed-out as if it was a TN panel. It's especially visible on shades of blue or gray where just a fraction of the very far right is "real blue" or "real gray" and the rest is tinted yellow or some sort of ugly greenish-yellow shade.

Already ordered #4.

What a horrible situation. I can't go back to 1080p now that I'm used to 1440p. I also can't go back to 60Hz now that I'm used to 120Hz or more and going back to TN isn't an option either so I really don't have a choice as the only 120+ Hz IPS (or AMVA, to be exact) 1440p panels are all using AU Optronics' screens. Maybe the QC is better at Acer, AOC or ViewSonic, but I read about the exact same issues with those monitors and I prefer the general build of the ASUS so... the panel lottery continues :/
    Last edited by VarHyid; 06-21-2018 at 12:49 PM.

ROG Member Array

Just received the 4th monitor. It's another one from March 2018 and as suspected, it has the same signature issue, that is - yellow across most of the screen, but mostly top and bottom: https://imgur.com/Innqbp2

The first two from February 2018 had the left half of the screen discolored so now I'm certain that each month's series has the same type of flaw. Here are all 4 in comparison: https://imgur.com/MYcrIRJ - does anyone from ASUS read these forums? If so, are you aware of those issues and are doing something about it? Will you recall those series? How many more do I need to buy and return?

ROG Member Array

Today I received the 5th unit. Exact same problem. I've contacted ASUS support several times. An employee with the text "Technical Support Engineer" in his signature told me directly that he is not a technician or engineer and can't based on my description or the pictures tell me if it's a flaw that can be serviced!

Here's the picture I've sent him: https://imgur.com/nYcpLQa tell me this looks like a normal screen with no issues.

There seems to be no way to escalate this issue to anyone higher that the pseudo-engineer who isn't one. ASUS doesn't seem to be bothered by the fact that a customer bought 5 monitors and all 5 of them have the same problem. What can I do, where can I send a message to reach someone higher than the basic tech support (who admits having no technical knowledge)? Maybe I should contact some big YouTube influencers and hope it will inspire them to make an interesting video about this?

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

I wonder if retailers aren't RMAing these monitors...rather creating a pool of returned monitors and just swapping them out over and over....

ROG Member Array

I think it depends on the retailer. If you wonder if I received returned units - no, I surely didn't, there were no signs of that, all cables were originally sealed, each box had the original ASUS tape closing it so all 5 units were brand new.

What happens with my returns? In some stores there are two listings - new at full price and "outlet" which includes returned or refurbished units and these are sold at a discount so in those stores mine will probably be resold at a lower price.

What I wonder about, though, is how can other people be OK with this? In one store they show how many units were sold in the last 30 days and the numbers are in their 30s. Given that every store seems to get relatively recent units from February and March 2018, those people also must have those issues, it's impossible that only I was so unlucky that 5 out of 5 were defective. I know that this is a "gaming monitor" and if some kid buys it and all he does is just turn it on to play some games, he may not even notice, but the moment you open a browser or check your mail, you have to notice it, it's not like a dead pixel where you have to search for it and focus to find it, it's there in your face all the time.

I use this monitor also for work so 8 hours a day of looking at sites with white backgrounds makes this... enraging.

I already ordered an Acer XB271HU. Yes, it's the same panel, I know, but some people say there's a higher chance of getting a good Acer than ASUS. On the other hand, they usually only talk about backlight bleed (which none of those 5 panels had any issues with, surprisingly). We'll see. I'm afraid to send the ASUS panel for repair (as the support suggested) because what if they say that the discoloration is "within the acceptable range" and refuse to fix it or replace the screen with a similar one? I'll lose the option to return it to the store

ROG Member Array D-X3M PC Specs
    D-X3M PC Specs
    MotherboardX470-f Gaming
    ProcessorRyzen 7 2700x
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix GTX1070 8GB DDR5
    Storage #1960 Evo m2 x 2
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Masterliquid 240
    CaseCoolermaster 5
    Power Supply750 Watt Modular
    Keyboard Corsair K95
    Mouse Corsair Glaive RGB
    Headset Corsair Void Pro RGB
    Mouse Pad Corsair mm300 extended
    Headset/Speakers Harman Kardon AVR160 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro

I have heard nothing but bad reviews on this monitor, i know multiple people buying it at any store local or online, the monitors suffer from terrible backlightbleeding, so terrible, you would think they were all dropped in the factory before boxing them..
    do far i havn't seen a single one that does not have the "extreme backlight bleeding"

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Really? The monitor is great if you get a good one...mine is near perfect

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by D-X3M View Post
    do far i havn't seen a single one that does not have the "extreme backlight bleeding"
    All of the 5 monitors I purchased had basically NO backlight bleed at all. One had some very minor bleed in one corner, but so small I couldn't notice it at all so based on my experience, I haven't seen even one that would have backlight bleed

Of course all 4 had massive discoloration, as mentioned earlier, but definitely no bleed.

ROG Member Array

Update! I've sent the ASUS monitor (the last 5th panel) for repair, got it back "repaired" and... it's just as bad. They replaced the screen so instead of having yellow discoloration in the top-left area, now it's at the entire top and the right side is more bluish, as demonstrated on this pic: https://imgur.com/EQxwn3B

Meanwhile, the Acer XB271HU I've been using for over a week now is better than any of the ASUS monitors I've had. Yes, it's still a bit weirdly backlit, it's as if there was one strong backlight on the mid-right side and there's also a minor bluish discoloration on the far right edge (similar to the "repaired" ASUS, but less bad), but it's really not that bad.

Furthermore, there's significantly less IPS glow on the Acer. Having the ASUS and Acer side-by-side showing a black screen with the same brightness/contrast settings, much more light comes through the ASUS than the Acer - it's like... bluish glow vs. a truly black screen. It's so weird because they both use AUO panels, yet the Acer is so much better so either AUO must have made further adjustments when they released the bezel-less version of this panel for Acer or I just got relatively lucky with it.

I've already ordered a second Acer, just to check if it's going to be better or worse than the one I have now and then I'll decide which to keep. I'll probably just keep one of the Acer (or both, just in case if both are good), as for the ASUS... no idea, I've sent them another email showing how "repaired" the new panel is, not sure if they'll offer another repair or if I just threw away the money and should have just returned it. Anyway, it's almost ironic how the automatically generated mails from ASUS say how they take pride in high quality of their products etc. and then you turn it on and it's yet another non-uniform discolored crappy panel

Just to be fair - I bought several motherboards, graphics cards and a laptop from ASUS over the years and never had any issues with anything. Just want to put it out there so it's not like I'm crapping on ASUS in general, I'm only disappointed with their monitors... or the PG279Q in particular so I guess AU Optronics should probably take most of the blame... if it wasn't for the much better Acer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast