cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After updating to latest bios, i can no longer boot XMP or roll back to previous bios

Pinkyoshi
Level 7
I have z270m plus, and updated automatically from bios to 1205 version.

Immediately my bios stopped booting using XMP, and when i tried to roll back bios using ez setup or ex flash, it says either not valid bios, or bios image does not match model, when it's same bloody model , and i have flashed bios plenty of times before on this mobo.

Please tell me how i can roll back to 1202 ROM, this is driving me nuts
9 REPLIES 9

Rob_W_
Level 12
Download *bios 1202 from ASUs website to a empty usb stick, and rename it to the appropriate .cap file.( select 1202 from drop down list of bios)
*Clear board bios .
Insert usb into bios flash USB port and install from there, that should then load 1202.
Hope this works for you.*
Edit,, select defaults in bios ( no xmp) to get it to boot so you can download new bios.*

Pinkyoshi
Level 7
No change, still file not valid bios even after renaming it to PZ270MP.CAP

usb stick formatted to fat, even though i used to be able to flash bios from C:/

Rob_W_
Level 12
Have you tried bios 1 and 2 *? ( switchable on mobo )
Try flashing both.*

Pinkyoshi
Level 7
It does not have that option anywhere.

I have been trying to isolate the issue. Both ram sticks work fine at rated xmp in slots 1a and 1b,

Neither can post at XMP in slots 2a and 2b after this bios update.

And ideally i would roll back to the working bios i had just prior to this, 1202 worked and 802 worked like a charm with proper xmp speeds. The other ones with Intel microcode fixes had problems posting with XMP.

I really wish i could just roll back bios where everything worked dandy....

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I would contact tech support and ask them about it as they are releasing versions that deliberately remove the ability to rollback.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Pinkyoshi
Level 7
already sent. It comes with new intel ME driver or something

Version 1205
2018/05/258.08 MBytes
PRIME Z270M-PLUS BIOS 1205
Intel New ME Update, Improve Stability

Tried flashing with bupdate, got Unknown Result

ridiculous from asus

Puffnstuff
Level 10
They've done the same thing on their routers preventing users from going back beyond a specific point, however, they aren't the only company doing this.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Pinkyoshi
Level 7
whats the reason for doing this?

if users have a problem, there is no way to go back and i end up with a half bricked motherboard...

Pinkyoshi
Level 7
THIS THREAD SAVED MY PC AND MY SANITY!!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99490-Flash-any-most-Asus-motherboard-Bios-in-DOS-with-USB...

xmp loaded instant on older bios. stupid asus and their half assed bios releases.