cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an SSD......A mistake?

adrian2055
Level 7
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Western Digital 250GB SSD for my laptop and I notice virtually no change performance wise. The only thing different is that the windows experience index score went up. I also don't know if it's ok to install a lot of things on this drive either. I want to install GTA V, but it takes up 75GB of space and I'm worried that it will be too much for the drive. Did I make a bad purchase? I still have the old 1TB HDD that came with the computer. Do I need to re-install that hard drive?

Laptop Specs:

ASUS ROG G752VL-BHI7N32
Intel Core i7-6700 HQ Processor (2.6GHz Base Speed, 3.5GHz Turbo Speed) (4 Cores, 8 Threads)
17.3" LED-LCD Display (1920x1080 Full HD) (4K Ready)
12GB DDR4 2133 Mhz RAM (Upgradeable To 64GB RAM)
250GB WD SSD
2 M.2 Raid Slots
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M Graphics (2GB Card)
6MB L3 Cache
2 Built-In Speakers
1 Built-In Subwoofer
Built-In Wireless
M.2 Raid
Media Card Reader
Integrated 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Built-In Webcam
DVD Writer
Backlit Keyboard
Built-In Phone Charger Port (Through USB Slot)
1 HDMI Port
4 USB Ports (USB 2.0 and 3.0)
Built-In Bluetooth
4 REPLIES 4

Rob_W_
Level 12
Use *the *Ssd run your games from it, far quicker than hdd ( there only any good for bulk storage)
You should notice quite a difference in performance.
Yes it was a good buy.*
I would have thought you could use the m2 slots as well?*

adrian2055
Level 7
I can. I haven't purchased the m.2 drives yet...or learned how to configure them. I was under the impression that the entire system needed to have SSD's. I will use the current SSD for games. Do I need a bigger one?

xeromist
I have used an 80GB SSD for games. You just have to do more work uninstalling or moving games when you have a smaller drive. So if you have a larger drive you will be able to store more games simultaneously. Whether that is worth it is up to you.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Natey2
Level 7
Unless you already have a server-class SAS drive, SSD drives are much faster than the usual SATA drives. They operate cooler too.

Use a benchmark like CrystalDiskMark to verify the speed difference. Turn off Windows "fast startup" and you'll see a significant difference in startup/reboot times.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk