cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair vii hero ethernet port issue

Frostie36
Level 7
Hi All,

So I finished building my new ryzen rig using the crosshair vii hero board and thought after putting it all together the ethernet port appeared dead, router was indicating no cable was connected and in windows no ethernet was even showing up in the device manager under network so of course the driver wouldn't install as it could find any suitable hardware.

After much head scratching and as it was the early hours of the morning I gave up fault finding for the night & upon powering up the system this morning the ethernet port was working, I could tell straight away after hearing the bios beep code for a successful post as the light on the router changed from orange to green to indicate cable detected and sure enough in windows the lan hardware was showing in device manager and I was able to get the drivers installed.

So after that was all sorted I decided to see if I could get my ram running higher than 2800 MHz (using 4 sticks that aren't on the qvl list, yes I know but I was trying to keep costs down swapping from intel back to amd so I used the ram I was using on my previous intel build) and after the post failed due to a failed memory overclock I returned back to 2800 MHz and all was well again, except the lan port was again non functioning!!. I rebooted, still not working so then I turned off the pc for a few seconds, turned it back on and voila, ethernet port was working again and testing numerous reboots and power offs afterwards it kept working so what I've discovered is that if my board goes through any kind of memory training after changing ram speed etc then the ethernet port doesn't function until I power down the system & restart it.

That sounds like a bios issue to me rather than a faulty ethernet port, has anyone else experienced similar issues with the ch6 board?
8 REPLIES 8

schweigert
Level 9
this is a common issue people are reporting on the CH7 boards - at least 6 people have posted the same issue here - Asus has been quite on it.

michaelemcken
Level 7
What PSU are you using?

michaelemcken wrote:
What PSU are you using?

Silverstone Strider 1000w, it's about 7 years old now.

I'm having this issue as well. I have the C7H WiFi and I cannot get my ethernet port to be recognized to install drivers. I have 4 sticks of "non" AMD ram too and did the DOHCP deal but windows didn't like it. I went back to stock and it boots but no ethernet to install drivers no wireless being recognized, etc.

Sedare
Level 8
And yep, I just now did what you did in terms of turning off the computer fully (not just a reboot) and then waited 10 seconds, started back up, and the drivers installed fine AND my wireless network shows. WTF. Am I hosed on this G.Skill RGB Ram with not being able to clock it to the rated 3200MHz and/or have internet access?

Stefan_Stefanov
Level 7
Same issue here... no WiFi or Ethernet.... I rolled back to BIOS Version 0401, with that one i have network atleast...
Also i noticed that when i had the latest bios all of the BIOS menus were super slow to go trough~3-5 sec to switch from one option to another in the BIOS.
No matter what BIOS version my G.Skill memory can never reach the rated 3200MHz (I have spare Intel CPU and motherboard where it works there though....)
I see some people say that it might be the PSU... I tried using: EVGA SuperNova 850 T2 Titanium and EVGA SuperNova 1000 T2 Titanium and still no network... with the latest BIOS..

FeelsBadMan

My full specs:
ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI)
AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X
64GB (4x16) G.Skill 3200MHz
nVidia GTX 1080
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2, 80+ TITANIUM

cg49me
Level 7
Try disabling Fast Boot in both the BIOS and Windows. I'm having the same problem - this has made it so that my network adapter appears on startup following shutdown, but it still disappears after a restart.

Corsair AX1600i here, so I don't think it has anything to do with the PS. BIOS version 0702 (latest as of this posting).

This is going to sound a little silly but I had the same issue and fixed it with this. Symptom was NIC would completely disappear from windows. When this happened first cleared the CMOS. When that didnt fix it I reseated the ethernet cable in my router and yet again no fix. I then switched which port it was plugged into on the router and all the sudden windows detected the NIC again. I then moved it back to the original router port and it worked fine.

No idea what happened here but wanted to share.