cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new pc build

Retired
Not applicable
hi guys ,i am despearate for some help here .my son and i are building a pc ,we are using a M4A77TD PRO mobo with a ATI RADEON HD5770 gfx , 500w corsair psu ,AMD PHEMNOM 2 QUAD corsair DDR3 4 gig ram .The problem is the GFX will not give us a display and the dvd drive powers off when the IDE cable is attached .I need to have some idea what the problem is ,either gfx or mobo

any help offered will be appreciated
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Which quad phenom II is it? If the BIOS version that was installed on the motherboard doesn't support your CPU then that would cause it not to boot. I wouldn't worry about the DVD until you are able to boot. I would just leave it completely disconnected for now but most likely it is just going inactive because there's no response from the motherboard.

Supported list and BIOS version is here:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M4A77TD PRO&product=1
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
Which quad phenom II is it? If the BIOS version that was installed on the motherboard doesn't support your CPU then that would cause it not to boot. I wouldn't worry about the DVD until you are able to boot. I would just leave it completely disconnected for now but most likely it is just going inactive because there's no response from the motherboard.

Supported list and BIOS version is here:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M4A77TD PRO&product=1

Hi thanks for the reply
it is the AMD phenom II quad core black edition

martyh wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply
it is the AMD phenom II quad core black edition

It will also have a number in the name like 940. This will make a difference.

If you haven't followed Brian's advice I would make sure to do that though. If it is indeed an unsupported CPU and it needs a newer BIOS then the only way to do that is to put an old CPU in there long enough to upgrade the board. So if you can solve it by simplifying the setup I would do that first.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
i suggest you plug in one thing at a time. lcd video source is in the proper mode? did you try the other dvi port? all cables are connected? 24pin mb power and 8 pin cpu power is connected? vga power is connected?
ram is in the right slots?

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Look at your bios first...This board is somewhat old and was out way before those Phenom II so that could be the issue.

Keep us updated!
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!