cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero endless RESET LOOP (with C-states) : still not fixed?

URIZEN
Level 7
question & problem's basically in the title

for starters, the background:

setup:
got a maximus VIII Hero (the regular NOT the alpha) at a below bargain price from a friend who don't need it no more. Bios is latest version

I had several sky & kaby lake CPUs which I got at a good deal so I tried them on the mainboard: three i5-7500 , one i5-6600K and one i7-6700K (I might keep that last one. sold the others for a profit)

using a 4gb Crucial stick for ram. the ram's reference is in the board's QVL

before I start: all those CPU's, the ram & the mainboard are stable under stress: Prime95 OK, Memtest86 also OK
I assume prime95 (especially test #2) is also a good way to test a mainboard right?

for testing I use a windows 8.1 liveCD on usb

and now, the symptoms:

whenever C-states are enabled in bios (specifically: C-states enabled AND at least 'enhanced C-states' enabled) then whenever I'm about to enter windows (basically it's on the login page with the avatar icon & the spinning dot-circle): the system suddenly reboots (as if I hit the reset button)

C-states are important cause they're the only way of lowering cpu voltage on idle so I'd like to be able to use them

I tried fiddling with other bios options (with C-states) enabled: no luck, I have to disable C-states to be able to boot into windows.

the only exception was with the i5-7500 cpu's (all 3 of them) where I could enable C-states BUT then I had to either increase "ram current capability" to at least 120% (that's of course not a viable option) or disable anti-surge protection (not a viable option either)
so apparently: this board is fully incompatible with C-states if skylake cpu is used, and *partially* incompatible with C-states if kabylake cpu is used. crazy huh?

so why the sudden restarts? why are the Maximus VIII boards (or does it only affect the Hero? dunno) incompatible with C-states? (as my experience proves)

>>> and before anyone asks: the PSU is a VERY HIGH END one bought in 2010 but easily as good as today's best: the Corsair VX550 (not to be confused with low-quality VS & CX series)

it has ALL-JAPANESE capacitors (that alone proves the PSU can't be the cause of problems) great ripple-suppression & very tight voltage regulation (as reviews have shown)
in other words the PSU is not to blame for this (I say this cause I don't have another PSU to test with, but as I've shown the PSU can't possibly be the cause)

so the problem definitely comes from the mainboard
5 REPLIES 5

claudej
Level 7
Hi,
I never had problems with C-States, they are fully enabled.
Maybe C-states are incompatible with a windows 8.1 liveCD on usb ?
(4GB Ram is low nowadays)

URIZEN
Level 7
why would 4gb ram suddenly be insufficient with C-states active but sufficient without C-states? makes no sense

which Maximus board do you have? what CPU?

claudej
Level 7
I understand for the 4GB.
Look left, for my specs,

ondersma80
Level 7
I am not sure what ASUS or Intel would be fixing as the thread title indicates. C-states and CPU stepping work fine on my Maximus VIII Hero Alpha - always have. I have the 6700K also. You might clear the bios settings to default or even do a cmos reset and try default settings - even those enable c-states and stepping if you use the right power plan settings in windows.

Also for stress testing I recommend realbench available here on the forum.

ondersma80 wrote:
I am not sure what ASUS or Intel would be fixing as the thread title indicates. C-states and CPU stepping work fine on my Maximus VIII Hero Alpha - always have. I have the 6700K also. You might clear the bios settings to default or even do a cmos reset and try default settings - even those enable c-states and stepping if you use the right power plan settings in windows.

Also for stress testing I recommend realbench available here on the forum.
maybe the Hero alpha fixed that flaw. mine is the regular Hero (I edited the OP)