cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSODs, no overclocking, with Intel rst-e 3.0.1.7016 drivers and samsung ssd raid 1

techvslife
Level 7
Asus p9x79 deluxe system, AMI BIOS version 0906 (12/22/2011), win7 x64 sp1.
Want to report that the latest released intel rst-e drivers (version 3.0.1.7016) cause intermittent, sporadic bsods on my system (samsung 830 256 gb ssds in raid 1) with no overclocking, on average one BSOD a week; the bsods each have a different error message. There is no known trigger (although I had "patrol read" on and "write-back cache" on, which I will turn off today to see if that is the cause). The minidump files seems to point to the intel rst-e drivers, and memory test (memtest86+) and prime95 show no errors (mushkin 64 gb, 8 x 8GB, Enhanced Silverline PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC).

I'm will soon install the old version 3.0.0.2003 drivers to see if it solves the problem.

Intel says support for the rst-e drivers is available only through asus.
Should I send the minidump files to someone here?
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello again - you can post links to the mini-dump and I can pass the links on to someone in the P9X79 Deluxe BIOS group.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks, I zipped and posted three minidumps as an attachment.
Note: I see that I have a crash from 1/7 also, so it seems that at least the problem exists from 3.0.0.3020 also. However, I have **NOT** yet tested with the still older version 3.0.0.2003, which seems to be the version asus has for download.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Um forgive me being a numpty but I can not see any attachments. Use mediafire to upload and pm me the link please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

this is the link to the attachments (it's also at the very end of the first post but you may have to refresh to see):
http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5742&d=1328124798

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah thanks techvslife not sure how I missed that in the OP. Sorry mate.

Edit: information passed on.

thank you HiVizMan, much appreciated. I'll keep testing and report back if I can definitely pin down the cause. unfortunately not so easy to test with a random bsod that is about weekly or so (hourly would be more painful but easier to test).
(For anyone having issues with rst-e, don't bother contacting intel. Intel supports only the rst drivers with consumers, and for the rst-e drivers refers all questions to oems.)

techvslife
Level 7
The BSODs still occur with the Intel rstE drivers that are on the asus website (i.e. with the older intel rstE drivers, 3.0.0.2003).
Oddly, in my latest bsod, windows was unable to create a minidump file from the big kernel memory dump--which just implicates the SSD or intel rste. However, I was trying to remotely log in on the last bsod, which implicates remote control software.

The likeliest causes are:
1. The BIOS or the intel OROM (which I can't do anything about--have to wait on asus).
2. Radmin or logmein drivers (which I'll remove for testing this week).
3. The Intel network card (which I'll remove for testing next week).
4. The intel rst e drivers (tested last three versions, can't do anything about it).
5. The samsung 830 ssd firmware (which I can't do anything about, already have latest version).

Already tried a few version of the nvidia 870 graphics card drivers, and I don't rate this highly yet.

techvslife
Level 7
It looks like the logmein mirror driver was the issue (which must be removed from device manager). I'll update here if I get another problem. I also note that intel has removed the 3.0.1.7016 rste drivers from their website, leaving the 3.0.0.3020 release as the lastest rste (sata/raid x79) driver.