cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS and Geforce Experience driver updating

almightyfargoth
Level 7
Hey guys,

I've had a G752VS for over a year now. I haven't had any real problems with it, but from past experience with ASUS gaming laptops I know there's some weirdness as far as graphics card drivers and using the download section on the ASUS site.

From most of what I've heard it's recommended to only update the card using the driver they have under VGA downloads on the website? Or is that not so?

I opened Geforce Experience the other day on my G752VS and noticed that at some point maybe from me doing it without realizing the current driver I have on my laptop had gotten up to version "382.53 release date 6/08/2017".

On the ASUS site it says the last driver they put up was "Version V21.21.13.6956 2016/11/03".

1. I've noticed nothing wrong on my laptop with that 382.53 driver this whole time. It seems safe?

2. Is it safe in general to update the graphics driver using Geforce Experience? Do you guys do that? It says right this moment that the current driver through Geforce Experience is "398.11 release date 6/04/2018". Is it just the BIOS and some of the other things that need to be strictly downloaded off the site?

Please school me on this so I understand. I get bugged about updating my current driver on a couple games including Total War Warhammer so it made me think to ask finally about it.
8 REPLIES 8

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I always update NVidia driver. Just don't update anything else..

Darnassus wrote:
I always update NVidia driver. Just don't update anything else..

I agree & would like to suggest that when you install/update NVIDIA driver, pick custom installation and choose only bare min of:

• Graphics driver
  • Physix
  • ( not mandatory ) "HD audio" to get audio through HDMI

DO NOT install Geforce Experience / updater / any other bloatware they offer.

also, check after each installation/update if the installer added "nvidia updater" -> if so UNINSTALL THAT COMPONENT through windows's control panel.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

almightyfargoth
Level 7
Ok so you're saying to uninstall Geforce Experience, and then go use the driver section on the Nvidia website to download the current driver right?

Just curious, what's wrong with Geforce Experience and why uninstall nvidia updater?

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
I saw a performance increase when I disabled the Nvidia streaming service in GFE. I like using the dedicated shadowplay button to instantly record gameplay so I didn't want to completely remove it.

Disable the streaming service & disable any automatic updating if you want to keep GFE.

I went ahead and just uninstalled it lol.

Moving on to drivers though; if I do a clean uninstall of my current driver when I go to the Nvidia website for the new driver for the GTX 1070 in this G752VS...I do select the option "GeForce 10 Series (Notebooks)" right? Not "GeForce 10 Series".

I mean obviously it's a notebook, but sometimes they put damn near a full size card inside and I didn't know if it specifically needed one or the other. I would assume the "notebook" one is what I want.

almightyfargoth
Level 7
Don't think I ever installed that feature if I was given an option.

It's not in my processes, or in services.msc. I don't stream anything ever so it's only natural to assume I opted out of wanting it.

Definitely got auto driver downloading disabled, but I do let the program itself update. Probably going to be uninstalling GFE entirely though.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I have Geforce Experience for the laugh, only for recording funny things because I thought XSplit was dumb.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Correct. Notebook. Not 'full size' card, though close to it in terms of performance.