cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero (Wifi) not booting with 2 RAM modules - no issues with 1

fatboynuke
Level 7
Hi everyone,
I've searched for similar issues on the forum but I couldn't find anything aboutthis specifically.
I have a new i7 8700k, corsair vengeance CMU32GX4M2C3200C16R (2X16) KIT and ASUS Maximus Hero X (wifi).
The system boots without issues and works reliably with 1 RAM module installed ( in slot A2) regardless of the BIOS settings (either in AUTO or XML mode) however I couldn't make the system boot succesfully with 2 RAM modules installed (in slot B2).
These are of course from the same kit, but when I install both, the system hangs on a 61 error code and finally stops on error code 55. I tried changing settings with the XML mode activated (everything default) but frankly I could not wrap my head around this and how this might prevent the system from booting at all.
I also tried an older Kingston kit 2666 MHZ (4x4gb) and I could not make 4,3 or 2 modules work together, just one. The system is of course not OC.
Perhaps you can help in troubleshooting this or understand if I have to return the MOBO.
Thanks in advance
35 REPLIES 35

Snakeyes
Level 11
Try reseating your CPU. Before that check carefully if all the pins are properly aligned (not bent/angled). This is a frequent cause of your symptom.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

fatboynuke
Level 7
Thanks for the feedback Snakeyes,
I reseated the CPU which was well seated in the first place, and the issue is not solved. I still can boot with no problems with 1 module (either of them) but with 2 is hanging up on error 55.
Could it be due to ram settings?
Thanks

Snakeyes
Level 11
Have you tried playing around with slots A1 and B1? I presume both sticks work individually in slot A2.

You did check if the pins on the CPU were perfectly aligned?
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

fatboynuke
Level 7
Yes, CPU Pins were aligned and CPU well seated (the 2 slots on the side were in place).
I can't really tru A1 because the cooler (X62 kraken) partially obstruct the slot, so I haven't really tried A1 B1 but I tried A2 B1 and didn't work.

Snakeyes
Level 11
It might be worth trying, substantially loosening your timings and frequency to see if you can get both sticks recognized. If it works, you can work up from there. Unfortunately, I doubt if it is a timing of frequency issue.

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

fatboynuke
Level 7
So, do you mean to go down with the frequency and up with the timings? Do you have any suggestions where to start from?

Raja
Level 13
Check the board isn't being warped by the cooler or the chassis MB tray.

Snakeyes
Level 11
I would strongly suggest checking out Raja@ASUS suggestions. If your cooler is fairly large and heavy, you could try temporarily placing your PC on its side with the motherboard horizontal facing up. If that works it's time to reinforce your cooler backplate etc. etc.

As far as timings are concerned start in the neighborhood of 2300 MHz and19.19.19. However I am not sure if that is the issue.

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

fatboynuke
Level 7
Currently I see that as very unlikely as the case is seating on the side and the mobo is placed horizontally. I don't think this is an installation issue, however I didn't have a chance to test the lower freq and timings yet, will do that this evening for sure.
Thabks