cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Thermal Pad thicknesses?

dddwilliams
Level 7
I have an Asus ROG G751JY laptop that gets murderously hot when gaming particularly in 4k, now i pulled it apart once already and cleaned everything, put some Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut thermal paste, and i also cut 52MM holes with a holesaw over where both fans are in the base just awaiting for some grills to arrive and this has dramatically helped but i feel it still could be better. So i have some liquid metal conductanaut, nail polish, vinyl tape to do all this again but i am wondering whether it would alos be of benefit to replace the thermal pads as well, so my big question is what size/thickness will i need? This for example on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alphacool-0-5MM-W%C3%A4rmeleitpad-20x20mm-Eisschicht-17W-mk-Sarcon-XR-m-... is inexpensive so i could easily buy a couple of these as i have a N750JV laptop i want to give the exact same treatment do, drilled holes and fan grills, liquid metal etc. I have tried an Asus repair centre near me of which has sold me components to do my own repairs, mouse touchpad, battery, might have to do a keyboard at some point (what a process that is lol) and they reckon they had no idea because as a rule they just reuse whats on there, but when it comes to running cooler and maybe having a little room for overclocking cooling the GPU memory especially let alone the rest better would no doubt be a benefit to everything. I use notebook fan control i have it set pretty aggressive which i feel for the time being keeps this laptop running as cool as possible! I have attached a screen of idle and under load temps. But yeah if anyone can point me in right direction on the thermal pads or whether the gaps are so tiny i could use the rest iof my Kyronaut i'd be very greatful! 1 other question i may as well ask so i don't have to open another thread is, i have a 512gb AHCI M2 in this laptop, that runs over one of the laptops 2 HDD bays, would it be possible to run a SATA SSD below it even if i had to remove the housing off that SATA SSD to make sure there was ample room between the two, also keep i mine i have 2 1TB WD Black 2.5'' drives installed one in the other bay and the second in an optical drive bay caddy!

Regards
David

5 REPLIES 5

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Nail Polish? Noooooooo!

dddwilliams
Level 7
For all the resarch i have done both clear nail polish and or conformal coating is what was used, so nobody can shed any light on the thickness of the thermal pads?

dddwilliams wrote:
For all the resarch i have done both clear nail polish and or conformal coating is what was used, so nobody can shed any light on the thickness of the thermal pads?

You would take a quick look at the gaps you need to fill in and buy pads that will fill these gaps
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

BogdaRog
Level 7
Need to do the same, what temps u have when gaming?

EdFernandez2
Level 7

I have this system and scoured the internet for answers but not having success.  Through a little bit of trial and error of my own I've managed to find the correct thermal pad thickness.  For the VRAM chips and MOSFETS that are at similar heights- it's 1mm.  For the lower profile VRM chips that rest between the areas where the fans are placed, it's 1.5mm. I began with applying Arctic MX-4 to all the chips and discovered only CPU and GPU made contact, that's when I switched to the pads.  Fan ports modification were also done and will be adding mesh to protect from dust & damage.  The thermal pads installed on the GPU backplate to cool off the VRAM  chips were misaligned but still in great condition, so I corrected the placement of those.  Removing the backplate takes a bit of effort since it's being held by adhesive.   The fan holes look off center because of the angle but it's well aligned.   Before cleaning the original factory paste.Before cleaning the original factory paste.Initial application of Arctic MX-4 on all chips to discover gaps.Initial application of Arctic MX-4 on all chips to discover gaps.Measuring diameter of fans through blades to prepare for cuttingMeasuring diameter of fans through blades to prepare for cuttingDuring initial removal of fans to get to mainboard.During initial removal of fans to get to mainboard.Factory thermal pad placement by Asus on GPU Backplate.Factory thermal pad placement by Asus on GPU Backplate.After drawing of fan diameters.After drawing of fan diameters.Drilling along markings to prepare for final removal with Dremel.Drilling along markings to prepare for final removal with Dremel.Removal of plastic covering fans.Removal of plastic covering fans.