cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThunderboltEX 3 on a PRIME Z370-A - HELP needed...

QMaxy
Level 7
Hi all,
I need help to install an Asus ThunderboltEX3 coming from an X99 DELUXE II but never used before.

I followed the basic steps found on the TBEX3 manual:

1) Donwloaded from Asus support website Intel_Thunderbolt_AR_17.2.71.250_20171205 driver and TbtFwUpdate_1.0.0.15_release updater.
2) Installed TB driver
3) Reboot in Windows and shutdown
4) Installed TBEX3 in PCIeEX16_2 slot (near the GPU) and connected the cable to the motherboard TB header and the miniDP<-> DP cable to an GTX1060 DP output.
5) Set AIC Location group: CPU0 NB PCIE slot and AIC Location: PCIeX16_2 (where my card is installed)
6) Reboot in BIOS/Advanced and enabled thunderbolt and Windows support.
7) Reboot again in Windows and tried to flash new TB Firmware. This is the screenshot:

No way to see TBEX3 on Windows device manager:

And Thunderbolt App doesn't shows any useful info, even if an HDD is connected to the TB3 port (LED on HDD is OFF!):

I really don't know what else to try, I also redo all this steps from the beginning installing TBEX3 on PCIeEX16_3 slot, at the bottom of the board, with same results.
This request is my last chance before ask for an RMA from Asus, I think it's impossible to spend one week trying to install an expansion board...

Here follows my actual (NOT WORKING!) BIOS configuration related to the Thunderbolt section:

Hope for your help, this thing is driving me crazy....

Thanks in advance

Max
5 REPLIES 5

QMaxy
Level 7
A quick update...
Yesterday I spent again hours trying to find a solution, first I upgraded to latest BIOS 0805, then removed GTX1060-6GB from PCI slot 1.
At this point I tried again all 3 PCI_x16 slots available, everytime unistalling Thunderbolt drivers, TBEX3 remove, loading BIOS optimal configuration, TB drivers reinstall, place TBEX3 in a new PCI slot.

The only device installed is an NVME disk on M.2_1.

Once again NO success, TBEX3 still remain totally invisible to the OS, and no hotplug connecting a 2.5" TB3 disk, HDD disk still remain off.
This TBEX3 seems to me completely dead...

Waiting for Asus support....
this is a screenshot from X99-DELUXE BIOS mainboard:

and this more/less the same BIOS section in my PRIME Z370-A:

Is it normal, with TBEX3 installed on the mainboard, that X99 shows Thunderbolt Specification Version/Sample Code Version
and Z370-A doesn't?

Your help will be appreciated,

Max

Finally I'm happy to post that problem is completely solved by an RMA.
With the new board (already updated to the latest firmware), Win10 can see and handle TBEX3 at first shot, using PCI_x16 slot 3.

xxswakxx13
Level 7
Same thing happened to me. Card stopped working out of nowhere and I spent days troubleshooting. Put a new Thunderbolt 3 card in and it worked immediately. Called Asus to RMA the thunderbolt card and they made me send the motherboard AND the card in for repair. That was the worst part. After days of explaining I just got my motherboard back from a different RMA and the primary issue was the thunderbolt card, they still wanted me to send back the motherboard so they could do their own testing. Seriously?! Now I’m faced, yet again, with disassembling my entire build, all for a broken thunderbolt card. I’ll never buy asus products again after this.

xxswakxx13 wrote:
Called Asus to RMA the thunderbolt card and they made me send the motherboard AND the card in for repair.

Exactly the opposite experience here, after a long phone call from Support, they decide it to open an RMA for TBEX3 board, and they ask me to send back to Asus Support Center in CZ (I'm in EU) ONLY the Thunderbolt expansion board.
After 4 days I received a new TBEX3 working really well.