cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Hero vs Crosshair VI Extreme for Ryzen 2600X

bartold3ak
Level 7
Hello, I am first time posting here and I have few questions.
These options are available in my country:

• Crosshair VII Hero > 300$
  • Crosshair VI Extreme > 240$

Also:

• Will I be able to update bios on Extreme for Ryzen 2 gen via bios flashback without Ryzen 1 gen cpu?
  • Are there any features that are missing in Extreme that Hero has or that are missing in Hero?

Thank you if anyone answers!!
3 REPLIES 3

syldon
Level 9
bartold3ak wrote:

Also:

• Will I be able to update bios on Extreme for Ryzen 2 gen via bios flashback without Ryzen 1 gen cpu?
  • Are there any features that are missing in Extreme that Hero has or that are missing in Hero?

The 2600 will run fine on the CH6E and yes there is a revision update to accommodate the 2600. You will have to use the flashback option before installing the CPU as the revision the board comes with probably will not support a 2000 series CPU.

The CH7 is a much better board for OC and temps. OC due to better power delivery and lower temps due to better VRMs (this is only a slight gain).

I upgraded from the CH6 normal to the CH7. I noticed the benefits to memory clocks straight off. CPU clocks I really could not say as I learned how to check on CPU speeds after buying the CH7, so what I know on CPU speeds after buying the CH7 differs from my use on the CH6, sorry.

Delta9K
Level 9
It is easy for me to sit here and "spend" your money but, I would recommend the extra $60.00 and go for the Crosshair VII.
Yes, your chosen CPU will work fine on the C6E after first flashing the BIOS but, there are some other advantages to the C7H due to newer X470 chipset and the power delivery on the C7H being the most compelling arguments for me as far as future proofing and going with the latest. Are these necessary, no not at all, and those who own the C6E board already have no requirement to upgrade especially since they have already invested in their board. But, since you are looking to buy now, why not go with the latest model with the latest updates? I mean let's be real, those of us with the C7H will be the ones with the older model soon enough. So you might as well have the latest/greatest while you can.
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

gupsterg
Level 13
bartold3ak wrote:

Also:

Have look at the circuit analysis pages of reviews on Tweaktown. What you will find is the Crosshair VI Extreme uses the same IR3555M 60A mosfets as the Crosshair VII Hero. The Crosshair VI Hero used some TI NexFET ones, which TBH are sound as well.

So the difference between C6E VRM and C7H VRM is ever so small IMO. One could say it's greater between C6H and C7H.

For your usual OC'ing I'll doubt you'll find a huge difference between each.

Now what many don't talk about is how the C7H has 256Mbit BIOS chip, only 16MB of the 32MB is used (C6H/C6E has 128Mbit and files are 16MB currently). Now this does have some future proofing benefit, example in this article.

Personally have look at each board carefully decide for yourself. I haven't looked much at the C6E, but as I own the C6H and C7H this is the list of differences I made:-

C6H:-

i) has TPM header.

ii) has 3D print mounts.

iii) has AM3 mount holes.

iv) 2 extra SATA ports.

C7H:-

i) 2 extra VRM phases for CPU. It is setup as 10 VCORE, 2 SOC, where as C6H is 8 VCORE, 4 SOC. Inconsequential for my type of OC'ing IMO.

ii) Has port to allow use of ASUS Fan Extention board for more fan headers and temp probes.

iii) 256Mbit BIOS chip.

iv) ProbeIt voltage read points improved accuracy.

v) Addressable RGB headers.

vi) 2x M.2 slots.

Note: My list is not exhaustive on differences, but some things I picked up.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video