cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AURA Lighting Service using high CPU resources

bhorv67
Level 8
Running the latest version as of this post - I end up having to force quit the Lighting Service process, as it uses between 10-15% of the CPU resources. If I can't find a fix, I'm just going to uninstall and turn all the LED off, it's really not that important.

Anyone have a fix or ideas of what's going on? Thanks
95 REPLIES 95

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

These are the different effects that generate this CPU load, if you stay with the Static effect, you should not have this problem (on my PC currently, configured with Static effect full red on AURA, LightingService.exe uses 0% CPU resource, and 15.2 MB of RAM).

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

These are the different effects that generate this CPU load, if you stay with the Static effect, you should not have this problem (on my PC currently, configured with Static effect full red on AURA, LightingService.exe uses 0% CPU resource, and 15.2 MB of RAM).

Is it bug in aura software? i have the same issue in my maximus x hero ac-wifi, the aura effects got stuck. Im very frustrated :mad: to this issue I've made a bunch of installing and re-installing aura software from latest to oldest version but no luck. Also updating bios into latest (currently 1401) and running aura setup in administrator but still not work. Any suggestion or idea on how to fix this issue?

crispinrosete wrote:
Is it bug in aura software? i have the same issue in my maximus x hero ac-wifi, the aura effects got stuck. Im very frustrated :mad: to this issue I've made a bunch of installing and re-installing aura software from latest to oldest version but no luck. Also updating bios into latest (currently 1401) and running aura setup in administrator but still not work. Any suggestion or idea on how to fix this issue?

I would not say it's a bug, I would say that the process is poorly optimized when there are effects. I think they (ASUS Dev) are working on it.

bhorv67 wrote:
Also, in previous version, I've been able to select the 'sync at shutdown' tab, and choose 'off'. When I do that now in the latest version and choose off, a different effect is applied.

All I want to do is turn off the LEDs when the system is off. I'm not able to do that now using Aura.

The Issue/Fix is listed here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101543-SOFTWARE-AURA-Sync#post716279

MoKiChU wrote:
I would not say it's a bug, I would say that the process is poorly optimized when there are effects. I think they (ASUS Dev) are working on it.

Well, hope this issue will fix in next aura software version/update or else I will sell my mobo and buy non-aura. Currently I removed/uninstall the aura and stick with the default effects (rainbow). Btw thanks for the info:)

It should not take 80% of my CPU to run RGB / BACKGROUND LIGHTING SERVICE. Apparently this is a ongoing issue with them. I am not happy, what does a man got to do to change the colors of a freaking LED! I have a brand new X470 MB, 16GB RAM 3200 and 2200G AMD CPU. With ALL of the recent bios / software updates. This is horrible, I will never buy ASUS again.

crispinrosete wrote:

I know this is reviving an old thread but I too had some major issues wiith Aura a little over a month ago, neither Asus nor I could figure out the issue and the board was about to be RMA'd (I even had an official RMA number). My I/O RGB LED's never turned on again after a power outage. (I have since finally bought the UPS I knew I needed long before that happened) Finally one night while deciding which manufacturer to go with next (I was less than happy with Asus support and have had multiple ROG products that failed in an incredibly short time, or were DOA) I decided to check the updates page for the millionth time to make sure there wasn't something I had missed for my board. I noticed the most recent, at the time, AURA download was actually labeled "LightingService" something and that got me thinking.

By this point I of course had done EVERYTHING possible to avoid sending off the board because not have access to my PC is not a viable option for me, and ASUS would not let me send in the bad board and get some kind of credit towards the exact same model, just the updated model because my board was not in production anymore. I wipe every trace of aura, AI suite, GPU tweak, everything. Cleaned the registry of old and invalid keys, reverted my windows back from 1903... everything. If you browse the forums theres even links to a tool called "Aura Cleaner," though I can't confirm it works. For me it opened and closed command prompt quickly. I even went as far as to take the board out, which was not at all fun, and remove the actual I/O cover and inspected the LED's and board that they're soldered to.

THEN, I figured I'd give it one more shot. Everything wiped, newest version downloaded, I even was sent the original firmware and tool to flash the AURA controller back to its original setting and version. Still nothing. Everything about was working again except the I/O shield was still dark, zero lights. So while I was once again re-wiping any traces of AURA, I noticed in the update folder is another folder called Lighting Service. Inside of this folder was an installer specifically for the Lighting Service, or so it appeared at least. I ran it FIRST, then installed the newest version of Aura. During the install for lighting service, my I/O LED's suddenly lit up. HOORAY!!!!

TL;DR,
Manually delete Aura and the lighting service from your PC, restart. Run a registry cleaner or DIY and remove anything related to aura AND the lighting service. Restart again. If you haven't already, download the newest version of Aura OR the newest version that includes the lighting service folder/update/installer. I installed 1.07.66, it downloads as "Lighting_Control_1.07.66," inside of the main folder where the installer is, is a second folder labeled "LightingService." Inside of here should be an installer called, "AuraServiceSetup." Run THAT INSTALLER FIRST, then restart again. (I know, I know, but for me this is the only solution that worked and I spent weeks trying to figure it out) Then install Aura, and finally, restart again. Hopefully this solution helps a lot of people, I did contact ASUS support and described in detail my findings. They replied and thanked me but whether or not that information made it anywhere is beyond me.

mine is less than 5 percent as mentioned previously. Something is wrong with your set up guys. use the latest aura with latest lighting service

and lighting service...