cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Question about dual bios boards.

Rob_W_
Level 12
In light of the recent 1401 bios and not wanting to mess up my settings on bios 1, I switched to bios 2 and this is where the problem is.
Is it possible / or why is it possible for bios 1 to recognise and run everything, including flashing it Ok, yet bios 2 will not ?
For bios 2 to flash to any version of bios it is taking between 3 to 5 hours of continually clearing and re flashing *before it will stick, it’s like counting from1 to 100 and each time forgetting what the next number is .
I have gone through just about every error code in the book trying to boot off bios 2 ( even to get to the bios screen) after flashing it.
Once it does get to bios screen I have about 4 seconds to hit F5, F10 and enter and then its fine and reboots with no problems, if I don’t get to hit enter within that period then it goes right back to start of problems.
About 1am this morning I finally got it to run ok and ran realbench, firestrike, cinibench and uniting, all passed fine at stock except they now tell me I’m running Windows 8 not windows 10 Huh!.?
Bios was downloaded twice from ASUs site selecting Win10/64bit os.
Any thoughts on this?
Rig as below. (R6E)*
23 REPLIES 23

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm sounds a bit dodgy...

When you swapped BIOS chip and/or before flashing did you clear CMOS?

How are you flashing? BIOS Flashback?

My guess is that the bios 2 chip was corrupted or became corrupted during the flash. Is it DIP8 in a socket so that you can easily replace it as a test, or is it surface mounted?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmmm sounds a bit dodgy...

When you swapped BIOS chip and/or before flashing did you clear CMOS?

How are you flashing? BIOS Flashback?

Ditto,
Always load optimized defraults prior to a flash.
If the ROM is corrupted then it needs to be replaced. If its in a socket its very easy and chips can be sourced for about $20 USD. If its soldered in then it has to go back.

I always use the USB stick with the flashback.

Its easier to TS and offer better advise when the machine specifics are posted......

If this is the M8E you speak of then try swapping chips. Flash in the one that works then power down and swap them out.

Sometimes when the chip gets fubar you can correct it by copying from the good one to the bad one from within the BIOS on the M8E

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Ditto,
Always load optimized defraults prior to a flash.

Prior to a flash, is it better to press the clear CMOS button, or to have the BIOS load optimized defaults? Or do they do the same thing?
This could be a pain because after the flash, you have to manually re-enter all your customized BIOS settings, including fan profiles. Worth the trouble though if it does prevent bad flashes.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You have to re-enter all settings anyway after a BIOS flash right? So clearing CMOS will not hurt. A BIOS flash of any other version number is a clean slate...no profiles are kept no settings are kept.

Ideally a new BIOS should be treated as a clean slate...but we are all lazy and often enter previously found stable settings...tweaking some of these can sometimes find different results....often not...sometimes worse.

Clear CMOS is not the same as optimized defaults I guess...but pretty close

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
You have to re-enter all settings anyway after a BIOS flash right? So clearing CMOS will not hurt. A BIOS flash of any other version number is a clean slate...no profiles are kept no settings are kept.

Ideally a new BIOS should be treated as a clean slate...but we are all lazy and often enter previously found stable settings...tweaking some of these can sometimes find different results....often not...sometimes worse.

Clear CMOS is not the same as optimized defaults I guess...but pretty close

Thanks Arne

Rob_W_
Level 12
I switched to bios2 because bios 1 has a stable Oc that I did not want messed up,
First time of switching and rig would not boot into bios so could not load optimised defaults, even clearing cmos would not boot.
So, loaded 1401 from Usb in the flash port and still could not get into bios.
Re tried numerous times, powering down each time + clearing bios each time. ( also removing plug)
Tried different bios versions and eventually got 1301 to stick, immediately hit f5, f10 and saved, this had to be done within app 4 seconds, if not the whole process had to start again.
Once in 1301 rig would run ok and reboot ok, so rebooted, hit f5 and saved powered down/ cleared cmos / unplugged.
Loaded 1401 in Usb slot and flashed and there we have it! Straight back to the beginning again, unable to post into bios.
Was able to switch back to bios 1 ok and no probs, but switching to bios 2 would not boot.
Tried re download, tried everything, each time it would get a bit further into test ,
Eventually after continually trying I was able to reach bios, quicker than lightening hit f5, f10, saved .
Removed Usb, cleared cmos, unplugged.
Powered up and it booted fine, optimised defaults loaded and reboots ok no problems.
Have since loaded my Oc and rig has been running fine since.
I feel I have a dodgy bios2 but as this is soldered there’s not a lot I can do.
I know if I try flashing again, the same will happen but I will try it just to confirm.
RIG SPECS are as below in my signature @ justinthyme*

Edit: in fact it’s been ok for two days now but i’l bite the bullet and flash it with 1301 and see what happens.( could be a long night.)*

Rob_W_
Level 12
2 and a half hours later I now have 1301 loaded, here’s the sequence of events
*Flashing sequence of errors on bios2 ,, 31 check cpu. 04 test nvram. 99 load vga bios,99 gets to ASUs screen. 99 again. 82 load vga bios. 99 load vga bios. D5 test nvram. 04 test nvram. 99 load vga bios. 82 load vga bios. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. 99 load vga bios. 04 test nvram. Powered rig down. 82 load vga bios. Powered down cleared cmos and unplugged. 82 load vga bios. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. Cleared cmos, unplugged. Loaded Usb in bios flash port and flashed. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. D5 test nvram. 99 load vga bios. 99 load vga bios. 04 test nvram. 31 check cpu. 04 test nvram. 24 check cpu. 04 test nvram. D5 test nvram. 99 load vga bios. 99 load vga bios. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. Cleared cmos. 92 test nvram. 82 load vga bios. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. 04 test nvram. Switched to bios 1. Switched to bios 2. 82 load vga bios. 99 load vga bios. Booted to bios then locked up in a9 bios setup menu. Booted to bios, F5, F 10 and saved.. Re booted, OK.
Now I’ve just got to get 1401 back in.
Seems the biggest difference was switching bios back and forth, but may have been just coincidence? I’l find out now with 1401 lol.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Managed to get 1401 flashed to bios 2 but only by going through same problems, loaded my Oc and ran several tests for stability, all ok
Decided to have a go at my ram,, so loaded in settings to get it to 3800 hzs needless to say it locked up in realbench.
Upon rebooting *had same problems getting back to bios.
I am wondering *if bios 2 is not recognising the ram the same as bios 1 does , as all the problems I had during flash I would have otherwise put down to memory stability when booting ,',,,,, mismatch in bios chips perhaps?