cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! g46vw Keyboard connector board broken need replacement!

Darkmattr
Level 7
I recently decided to fix my g46vw that had a broken screen and missing hard drive... While putting everything back together I managed to break the connector off of the keyboard connector board... I first thought i would just need a replacement keyboard but none of them come with the dang connector board... I found others on this forum with the same issue but that was over two years ago and the estore no longer has this item in stock... I also have had zero luck on ebay.. I just spent $200 fixing this laptop and am not keen on giving up... So I could REALLY use some help finding this product.. I believe the model number is either 90R-NMMCB1000Y or 60-NMMCB1000-C01... They look identical and on a part store I saw that they are both compatible but can anyone confirm this?

Also does anyone know what the cord that connects from this module to the motherboard is called? Looking at mine it looks a little messed up on the connection to the keyboard side so I would just assume buy another one if possible... Any help or guidance would be extremely appreciated as I am at a standstill here...!
9 REPLIES 9

kyonkanno
Level 7
Darkmattr wrote:
I recently decided to fix my g46vw that had a broken screen and missing hard drive... While putting everything back together I managed to break the connector off of the keyboard connector board... I first thought i would just need a replacement keyboard but none of them come with the dang connector board... I found others on this forum with the same issue but that was over two years ago and the estore no longer has this item in stock... I also have had zero luck on ebay.. I just spent $200 fixing this laptop and am not keen on giving up... So I could REALLY use some help finding this product.. I believe the model number is either 90R-NMMCB1000Y or 60-NMMCB1000-C01... They look identical and on a part store I saw that they are both compatible but can anyone confirm this?

Also does anyone know what the cord that connects from this module to the motherboard is called? Looking at mine it looks a little messed up on the connection to the keyboard side so I would just assume buy another one if possible... Any help or guidance would be extremely appreciated as I am at a standstill here...!

What a coincidence man. I just revived a g46vw that wouldn't start and I needed a keyboard Flex. Couldn't find one so I ended up buying a complete broken G46VW off ebay. Long story short, I have the little board you need. PM me if you're interested. I also have various parts including the i5 3210m CPU and battery in unknown state.

I am responding to this for all of you that thought replacing your HD would be an easy task... only to find out there is a sub par ribbon connector on your Keyboard connector. It is out of stock EVERYWHERE. Of course it is, everyone has broken this weak link. I kept getting this post as I searched frantically to find one, only to be shut down every time I thought I was getting close. The solution I found was a company in Eden Prairie M.N. that can actually fix it! The Company name is Proto Tech Inc. I called so many posers that could not source or do the repair. I cannot speak to the price for you, but for me it was less than I expected. I saw old posts for new ones for more than I spent to fix it, so I am thrilled. I hope this helps you, it save me from having a boat anchor on my desk! FYI: I am not affiliated with that company, nor do I get anything from this, other than to help others in my situation. Please reply to this if it helped you. I would love to know!

I am adding this for those that search by Part Numbers:
90R-NMMCB1000Y
60-NMMCB1000-C01
69N0N8C10C01

They fixed the board and now I am up and running. They said I could post their info here for anyone else that may want to contact them for this repair.
Proto Tech Inc
1216 W 96th St, Bloomington, MN 55431
(952) 974-1594

Anyone at all have a tip on how to find this part? its driving me absolutely nuts!

Darkmattr wrote:
Anyone at all have a tip on how to find this part? its driving me absolutely nuts!

I use to buy 6 or more at a time and sell them on ebay for a decent price. Though now I haven't owned a G46 in a very long time and my last one sold about 3 months ago. I got them from a store in Europe.

https://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-14010-00111100

Buy a few of them, pay the crazy shipping fee and then resell on ebay to recoupe the shipping. You can probably buy the kb logic board there if needed.

Here's my old ebay auction

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Asus-G46vw-40-pin-ribbon-cable-MB-to-KB-14010-0011-/122635473963

I would normally say let me know if you have any questions but I gave up the computer tech bs to be an IT professional and I'm not on these forums very often.

Good luck though!

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately i believe my cable works, its the connector board I'm having issues with.. The plastic connector where you would plug this into the keyboard(not the motherboard side) broke so it doesn't hold the cable in tight enough to keep the connection.. If i boot it with the keyboard off and manually hold the cable in place it works but that obviously does me no good. I just can't believe that no one anywhere has this part!

I do see that you fixed one of these, was it just a broken or torn cable? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I know its old now but I was wondering if anyone still has a connector board for sale?

I have a g46vw that needs this same board

Give this site a try for what you need

https://www.laptopinventory.com/index.php 

https://www.asus.com/us/support/customer-self-repair/ 

This link takes you to asus self repair