cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero: Best order /sequence to install motherboard drivers/software

Moises2018
Level 7
Hi guys,

Just got the Maximus X Hero, therefore i'm getting ready to install Windows 10 64bit and all necessary drivers.

What would be the best order in which one should install the drivers? For example, should the motherboard chipset drivers be the first to install, followed by the SATA driver, Video card driver, etc.

Thanks for your help!
System specifications:
Motherboard: Maximus X Hero
BIOS Version
: 1401
CPU: i7-8700K @3.7GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Water Cooler
Memory:
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080TI
SSD: Samsung 970 PRO M.2 (2280) 512GB &
Intel 335 Series 240GB (secondary drive)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
Hard Drives: WD 700GB & WD 300GB SATA
Optical Drives: 1 Asus Blu-Ray Drive & 1 DVD/RW Drive

7 REPLIES 7

no1yak
Level 8
The latest Windows 10 ver 1803 will install all drivers to get the OS up and running. It will find all of your devices and install the appropriate drivers. If your graphics card is Nvidia or AMD then you can download the latest drivers form their website after windows is up and running.
If you look in Device Manager and find any yellow exclamation marks then download the Asus chipset inf file. If no, then there's no need to do anything .
Windows will install it's basic Sata driver by default, if you are going to use an Mvme Pcie drive as your boot drive then install Windows as a GPT drive. If you are not sure how to do that then please ask.

no1yak wrote:
Windows will install it's basic Sata driver by default, if you are going to use an Mvme Pcie drive as your boot drive then install Windows as a GPT drive. If you are not sure how to do that then please ask.

Hi, I will be installing Windows 10 on a new Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD drive. This will be my main drive which will have the OS. So i need to install Windows 10 as a GPT Drive?? How do i do this??

Thanks for your help!! 🙂
System specifications:
Motherboard: Maximus X Hero
BIOS Version
: 1401
CPU: i7-8700K @3.7GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Water Cooler
Memory:
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080TI
SSD: Samsung 970 PRO M.2 (2280) 512GB &
Intel 335 Series 240GB (secondary drive)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
Hard Drives: WD 700GB & WD 300GB SATA
Optical Drives: 1 Asus Blu-Ray Drive & 1 DVD/RW Drive

Moises2018 wrote:
Hi, I will be installing Windows 10 on a new Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD drive. This will be my main drive which will have the OS. So i need to install Windows 10 as a GPT Drive?? How do i do this??

Thanks for your help!! 🙂

I just did this, on my brand new Maximus X Hero AC build w/ NVMe 970 EVO 500gb. The BIOS defaults in 1403 set for CMT are Auto detect *which will automatically format the drive as GPT before you install Windows on it as it’s using UEFI by default. You can change this to force *UEFI if you like but it’s not necessary.*

JustinThyme
Level 13
Dont Let windows install jack......unless you like issues.

Order of installation only matters with the first two, after that its on you. Your install USB or DVD will do it automatically but too often the drivers are outdated.

1) ALWAYS INSTALL CHIPSET DRIVERS FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) Intel MEI drivers second
3) My choice after is Graphics followed by audio but it doesnt matter so long as you get the first two FIRST and chipset before MEI.

Some things I skip the ASUS drivers and go straight to the vendor as they are almost always more recent.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

NeoandGeo
Level 7
There was a time when the chipset driver was a make or break install, wherein not installing it could cause major performance issues, but that it no longer the case with modern Intel systems, the MEI is much more vital and should be the first thing a user should install the newest available from their specific motherboards' software page.

Chipset drivers aren't necessary or even recommended to install anymore unless you have a completely unidentified device in your Device Manager. Unidentified as in you have no idea what the listing is for even after taking into account all user custom hardware n that could lead to a Yellow Triangle unidentified line item until a proper driver is installed.

Zitat von @ Intel
The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility is not a driver and does not include drivers.
The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility gives the product name for the piece of hardware. This information allows the operating system to display the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.

https://www.win-raid.com/t895f42-Intel-Chipset-Device-quot-Drivers-quot-INF-files.html

Windows will auto install a Chipset info package on your PC with your first updates, so the driver from Asus should not be installed unless you have a line item in "System Devices" or similar showing as unidentified.

Stating that, if you are like me and obsess over having everything up to date or are the official new software tester for your colleagues, you can install the specific .INF for your current motherboard that can be found at the link I posted. This way you won't add unnecessary fluff to your Windows install for no benefit.

NeoandGeo wrote:
There was a time when the chipset driver was a make or break install, wherein not installing it could cause major performance issues, but that it no longer the case with modern Intel systems, the MEI is much more vital and should be the first thing a user should install the newest available from their specific motherboards' software page.

Chipset drivers aren't necessary or even recommended to install anymore unless you have a completely unidentified device in your Device Manager. Unidentified as in you have no idea what the listing is for even after taking into account all user custom hardware n that could lead to a Yellow Triangle unidentified line item until a proper driver is installed.

https://www.win-raid.com/t895f42-Intel-Chipset-Device-quot-Drivers-quot-INF-files.html

Windows will auto install a Chipset info package on your PC with your first updates, so the driver from Asus should not be installed unless you have a line item in "System Devices" or similar showing as unidentified.

Stating that, if you are like me and obsess over having everything up to date or are the official new software tester for your colleagues, you can install the specific .INF for your current motherboard that can be found at the link I posted. This way you won't add unnecessary fluff to your Windows install for no benefit.

Does it matter if say, you install chipset drivers first, then LAN/audio/graphics...THEN followed by MEI? Or does MEI absolutely need to come first? What sort of issues could pop up?

zfpuhi21
Level 8
Hey,

So basically I am in the same boat and I am not sure from where to start. Installed the new Windows 10 when I got all my parts and I am not sure if I need to install any special drivers from the ASUS website.

I am not even sure Which drivers should I install, like "VGA" "LAN" "Utilities" "SATA" "Chipset" "Audio" & "BIOS" . Which of those are a MUST and need to be installed, as for order I guess the BIOS and Chipset should be 2/1 and then go for the rest.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
Asus Rog Strix Z790-E | i9-13900KF | Fractal Design - Torrent TG Light| KF560C36BBEK2-64GB (Fury Kingston)| Seasonic 1600 W Platinum |SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB x 2 (Raid 0) |NVME - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 TB (M.2_4)+Samsung SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2_1)|HDD WDC WD4002FFWX-68TZ4N0 4TB+ST8000NE001-2M7101 8TB)