cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ROG Z370-E build, no Ethernet recognized

ATR-42
Level 9
Hello guys,
Im helping my nephew build his first PC. Ive built a bunch of PCs, and this is the first time ive run into this problem...

everything went super smooth, all hardware, good 1st post, windows 10 install ect... noticed no ethernet connection after windows install, i figured ok maybe I just need to install the intel Ethernet drivers from the asus website via USB... no luck... windows keeps saying "an Ethernet cable is not properly plugged in or might be broken".

I tested the Ethernet jack at the wall, and wire, they work perfectly when plugged into anther PC
I updated the BIOS to 0805 - and reset it to defaults...
I turned off, and turned back on the Ethernet inside bios onboard devices. tried turning on and off the wifi as well inside the bios.
just for laughs tried another cable. tried wiggling the cable at the MB... there are no lights illuminating on network jack of the motherboard...
I went directly to intel site, downloaded intel drivers, removed the drivers that were installed, and installed the ones directly from intel... nadda.

ive prob built 12 PC in my life and ive never seen a defective ethernet controller. or one that said 'no wire detected'
for the time being I have him running on the 370's built in Wifi, which kind of defeats the purpose of building an awesome rig...

I am going to call tech support tomorrow and chat with them, I suspect they may ask me to RMA the board which i really dont feel like unbuilding this thing and building it again. My thought was to install a PCI-E network card... im thinking in the grand scheme of things, it will prob be just as fast ?

has anyone seen or dealt with anything like this before?

build specs.
- Z370-E
- i7 8700k
- gtx 1070
- m.2 cruicial mx500
- 16 gb of QVL ram running at 3200
- 850 watt evga PSU
- win 10 home 64 bit
- all temperatures are good, everything on this board and build are functioning perfectly otherwise
i9 14900k, z790, GTX 4090, Azoth
6 REPLIES 6

JustinThyme
Level 13
My gut on this one is the board is defective. Generally speaking the ethernet will work so long as its enabled in the BIOS and crappy windows default drivers may not be optimal but they work.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

ATR-42
Level 9
Justin thanks,
kind of confirming what i think is the only logical explanation. so bummed... ive never seen or heard of the lan controller being defective on a MB, everything else is working perfectly fine...
I might go the route of installing a PCI-E network card and call it done, while not as clean, the speed and performance should be nearly the same over cable internet.

its just odd, windows does see the on-board intel LAN controller in the device manager, but it believes there is no wire present...

ATR-42
Level 9
spoke with ASUS. they have great customer service, it's nice to call and be connected with a human quickly who knows what they are doing. the situation stinks but im still glad i bought from them.

we ran through everything i did already but he suggest i clear the CMOS which i did not think of doing... if CMOS doesnt work he suggested returning it to newegg or RMA it to them.

chevell65
Level 12
There are quite a few different Intel LAN driver versions depending on which version of Windows 10 you are using. I'm assuming you are using the latest Windows 10 version which is 1803. Try installing the latest Intel LAN drivers dated 5/30/2018 from this page, maybe it will help.

chevell65 wrote:
There are quite a few different Intel LAN driver versions depending on which version of Windows 10 you are using. I'm assuming you are using the latest Windows 10 version which is 1803. Try installing the latest Intel LAN drivers dated 5/30/2018 from this page, maybe it will help.

Thanks Chev, those are the drivers i installed after the ones from the MB page on the ASUS site. it recognizes the ethernet controller in device manager, no errors, just doesnt sense that there is a functioning wire in the port....

one more thing i need to check... is that perhaps one of the grounding pins from the I/O panel got jammed in the RJ45 jack but i highly doubt it. i will have a look shortly.

ATR-42
Level 9
update...
installed NIC in lower PCI-E slot... nothing. Light came on the ethernet card, but windows couldnt find any changes or the network adapter. argh... i was about to give up and start taking the thing apart, when as a last resort, i stuffed it into the upper PCI-E slot right under the GPU and somehow all became right in the world. put it in gigabyte mode, full duplex, and it ran limited only by the ISP limit. disabled the on-board LAN and WiFi too.

not a true fix to a busted motherboard but i think it will be good for his gaming. i wish i had a rig like that when i was 14!