cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Formula + 2 MVMe M.2 drives

xDarksideAngelx
Level 7
Hi All,

Planning a new build with Maximus X Formula as the motherboard and plan to install two MVMe M.2 ssd's, one for the OS and the other for other programs/games etc. My question involves around which of the M.2 Sockets to place my M.2 SSD which will contain my OS, would the be any benefits on choosing one or the other, or are they exactly the same? (Besides the physical location, where one is under a heat shield vs the other installed by a vertical mount.)

Thanks for your help.
2 REPLIES 2

skegburger
Level 7
I have 2 mi2 installed both Samsung one a 500gb and the other a 250 gb you can select which one to boot from in the bios hope this helps

JustinThyme
Level 13
What I can tell you is the M2 on that funky extension that sticks out is unreliable. Two MOBOs and 4 drives yielded the same resullts. Installed fine and in a few days......dead.
I would recommend using the one under the armor for your OS and programs and install a pair of SATA SSDs in raid 0 for media. Have this build on my 16 YOs machine with a 1TB 960 pro and a pair of 500GB 850 evos in raid 0. Works perfectly.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein