cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does (proper) replacement of the stock heatsink on ASUS GPU void warranty?

technobot
Level 8
Related to my service request, can someone please answer:

I replaced my original heatsink with a waterblock. The system worked for over a year, there was no leaking or physical damage. One day, the screen went blank while playing a videogame/hard lock. When trying to reset the system, the monitor had power but it would boot directly to a blank screen. Long story short, I tested the card in other slots/system/PSU/PCI-Cable/Monitor/HDMI/DisplayPort cables, and the behaviour is as follows: another videocard (or onboard video) works. If I have the defective videocard plugged in with another videocard attached to the monitor, the defective videocard shows up in Device Manager with Code 43 (can't start because there was a problem with the device).

Does replacement of the stock heatsink void the North America GPU warranty? I re-read the warranty policy and it only mentions physical damage from improper installation, etc... The waterblock was installed correctly, as mentioned it worked for over a year. I'm in the middle of a dispute process and was just wondering if I'm wasting my time. Thanks for anyone who responds.
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
Hi technobot,

I moved this thread to the GPU section since we're not allowed to carry on discussions in the inquiry section. Hopefully an ASUS person will address the RMA question but this is a more general question.

Regarding the heatsink, was the waterblock still installed when you sent it for RMA? That could greatly complicate things since they couldn't just swap out your card.

If you reverted it back then you just have to wait and see. AFAIK, legally speaking you cannot be denied a warranty claim for "opening" a product. At least here in the US a bunch of companies just got in trouble for those 'warranty void if removed' stickers and told they were unenforceable. Not sure how that stands in Canada. But anyway, if you properly reverted it to stock then the ASUS tech won't even know and it won't be an issue. If there was damage you didn't notice, like a surface mount component getting pulled off, it will be considered Customer Induced Damage.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

technobot
Level 8
I reattached the original heatsink. The photo attached to my RMA/warranty denied notification simply indicated I had broken the warranty seal (the sticker covering one of the screws on the original heatsink). This indicated to me that the only reason the tech denied my RMA/warranty was because I had broken the sticker, which *used* to be ASUS' policy in USA/North America (breaking that sticker immediately voids your warranty). If this is still the policy in Canada, then I guess I am out of luck. I will still dispute and am in the process of trying to get an escalation.

I have to throw it out there: I've been an extremely loyal ASUS user going back to my college/starving student days, reaching way back to the last 90s/early 2000s. I still own my last 3 builds, all built around the Maximus Formula family: V, VII, and now a X. My last 4 videocards were ASUS, I migrated away from EVGA: 770, 980 Strix, 980 TI Strix and now this 1080 Strix. ASUS RT-N66U and now an AC88U Router... I bought my parents an ASUS router! I just bought a ROG Claymore and Gladius II Origin to complete my rig...

I've registered most of these products, so it's legit and I'm not making stuff up on the spot. I'm not even listing the countless ASUS motherboards I used or recommended for non-main/family member/friends and colleague systems.

I must admit, the reason I kept going with ASUS was, in my case, everything simply lasted forever. Of those parts I listed, the only part that failed before this was the 770, which failed outside of warranty, so no hate for ASUS. All the recent parts are still in "production". I take care of my parts. As stated in my RMA claim and subsequent dispute, this video card simply failed after working great for over a year and I thought ASUS' NORTH AMERICA policy (Canada inclusive) indicated I would not be automatically denied valid warranty coverage for replacing the heatsink.

I hope this ends well, because I do love the products especially the entire ROG line, it should be obvious. I know ASUS won't miss me, won't even be a blip but it's discouraging that a loyal, longtime customer who hadn't even opened a single RMA before this incident is being denied coverage for something that the warranty should cover. If the technician had proceeded to remove the stock heatsink they would see there was no damage at all, the card simply failed. The why is beyond me.

I will need a videocard in the interim and it should be obvious I am extremely hesitant to buy another ASUS GPU since it will have to go into a custom loop.

xeromist
Yeah, I don't know how your laws work so you may want to find out. That would suck if companies can still pull the sticker BS because of where you live.

It is *possible* that the block had something to do with it. I've had blocks kill cards...but I'd want some sort of evidence that was the case, not just using the sticker as an excuse.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…